Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #169
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Yes, it is a benefit to do once after a good can is installed as it will loosen and clear some of the coking deposits.....this is just a cautionary post to NOT due to many of the upper induction cleanings as the pictures show. and I ask all to read the thread "is a catchcan needed?" on page 5 so they can see all the pictures. There are only a couple worthwhile...no matter the name brand, no matter who endorses it, or what they claim....all the facts and pictures show you the 2-3 worth using.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #170
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpyle View Post
^^ what he said ... now I don't want to have a cleaning done lol
No, the issue is not changing your oil immediately after having the cleaning done. Just change your oil after you do the cleaning and you should be okay

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #171
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just heard back from the Dealership...

The mechanic said it's a Spun Rod Bearing and he stated this was related to the Oil filter used by Valvoline. They are seeing a lot of issues with aftermarket oil filters, the mechanic said to stick with AC Delco oil filters.

"GM will repair this out of good will gesture, but next time you are on your own"

This is fine. I get it. My concern is any other reciprocal damage lingering in the shadows. I'm very hard on this car, and drive it like its a V8. Like another member stated, I drive it like I stole it...constantly...everywhere.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #172
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I would be on the phone to valvoline ASAP. If this is true there are a lot more people out there getting ripped off.
I tend not to believe this since I would hope their standards for the oil filter was check. Sound fishy.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #173
Ocx

Contacted Valvoline. They use Purolator filters and only Purolator. The Manager remembered me as I have a Rx catch can they also drain for me. Dealership says its the oil filter, Valvoline says their filters aren't bad quality.

So I asked, "what's the best filters you can buy?"

1. Wix
2. Purolator
3. K&N/Bosch
4. AC Delco which is made by Chanti or something didn't catch that part.

The Dealership is honoring the warranty out of "good will." Should this happen again then I'm responsible for parts/labor. The technician assigned to this case is beast when it comes to engines so I'm not concerned. However, they will not offer a Courtesy Car since this is "good will".

This stinks of bs, I agree. I have an engine that has had a major malfucntion with less than 15k miles left of warranty. Since the original purchase my income and career has seen major changes. I take this as a sign its time to upgrade to what I should have gotten all along...

Summit White 2SS w/Sunroof and black rims.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #174
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I'm sorry but your dealership is full of it. Good Will? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There's no way this was on the valvoline filters.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #175
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Don't bearing typically spin due to low oil? Not sure I buy the filter idea...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #176
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I don't understand the filter thing as well.

Did they give you a specific reason? Such as the filter doesn't flow good enough...or perhaps it doesn' filter well enough.

I've always used full synthetic, and AC delco. But my dumb @ss has never saved any recipts of my purchases.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #177
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I had the spun bearing issue when my engine failed as well, not sure if I ever posted this in this Biblical thread

But I would not buy the filter excuse one bit from that dealer. Talk to customer service, and make sure you escalate this issue to a supervisor to point out the problems with that argument. Get documentation from Valvoline stating the filters are made from Purolators, and that can't possibly the issue.

Did the dealer tell you how much oil was missing in the engine once they cracked it open?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #178
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I don't understand the filter thing as well.

Did they give you a specific reason? Such as the filter doesn't flow good enough...or perhaps it doesn' filter well enough.

I've always used full synthetic, and AC delco. But my dumb @ss has never saved any recipts of my purchases.
I know right? These are basic paper filters, I don't know how one can cause issue unless they are making them from toilet paper lol.

Only reason I buy Wix is because, I have always bought Wix on all my cars.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #179
Ocx

GM Customer Service contacted me. Basically since it's "goodwill" I don't qualify for a courtesy car. Goodwill meaning, GM doesn't have to warranty the repairs they are doing this to be nice. This could have ended up costing me a LOT more in parts/labor but the Service Manager went to bat for me as I know him personally.

Bottom line. The car had major engine problems, they will warranty the repair for what they call 12/12 or 12 months or 12,000 miles. I look at it like this is just the first of many many issues to come for a car that was produced in 2009 very early in the manufacturing process. This or something worse will happen again.

Make sure you use AC Delco oil filters or better. You've been warned.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #180
Ocx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Did the dealer tell you how much oil was missing in the engine once they cracked it open?
No mention of that. The only thing mentioned was "a lot of metal fragments in the oil pan." Either way the he car is getting sold or traded in. I'm not a mechanic, but I understand the basics. Time to move on to something newer or else I'll be having this same conversation in 1 year again only it will be a new issue and perhaps worse.