Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
I have a 2013 1LS, and experienced what you all are talking about.. I learned how to drive 25 years ago in a manual shift and most of my cars have been manuals since.. However, I did get used to it and have learned to shift it smoothly after a few months. Seems to me, if you drive it a little more aggressive, it works better also.
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
Rakito
Thunderfury

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS M6 1/205
My 2011 LS Camaro only had issues grinding between 2nd and 3rd. That was the only issue I had, even after putting in a Hurst Short Throw. It is definitely different feel than other Manuals, but I never had an issue dropping from 1st to 2nd unless I was red-lining it without letting it warm up.
"Thunderfury"

Old Car:
"Blu Bee"
2011 Camaro LS Imperial Blue
HURST Short-Throw M6
--You will be missed good buddy--
Rakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #17
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamRamRo View Post
I have a 2013 1LS, and experienced what you all are talking about.. I learned how to drive 25 years ago in a manual shift and most of my cars have been manuals since.. However, I did get used to it and have learned to shift it smoothly after a few months. Seems to me, if you drive it a little more aggressive, it works better also.
^This^. If you accelerate slowly and try to be smooth, it doesn't work as well. If you drive it more aggressively it ends up smoother. Not talking about all-out acceleration, but it just seems to want to be driven that way. I agree it is different than the typical clutches / transmissions in recent history, but having driven lots of decades of manuals my opinion is you just need to get used to them and some are more dramatically different than others. Comfort gets sacrificed for performance sometimes as well.

My description would be that the Camaro V6 has a high clutch with a short engagement zone (making up words but you get the idea). Definitely more difficult to drive smoothly than the average manual.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 AM   #18
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
1-2 shift is always jerky

If you rev up to 4-5k it's smooth
But ridiculous
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
I have a 2011 but don't have that issue at all. I can slam it pretty quick with no issue. The only issue I have on occaission is it will pop out of 3rd gear sometimes when downshifting unless I hold it in place and push it forward in gear harder.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #20
FLA Camaro

Drives: Black 15 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
My description would be that the Camaro V6 has a high clutch with a short engagement zone (making up words but you get the idea). Definitely more difficult to drive smoothly than the average manual.
I have a 14 LS and I have the same problem with 2nd. But that's exactly what my dad said about how quickly the clutch engages. Having the car for over a year now, I've noticed it too that you only need to release the clutch a little before it is in gear.
FLA Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #21
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I had this issue in my 2010 M6, and after replacing the clutch, upgrading to a Barton Short Throw, and switching to Royal Purple Tranny fluid, I still have this problem. I am changing to Red Line Tranny Fluid next month and will let you know how that goes.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO ABM 2LT
there were a lot of early manuals that when the transmission were built there was a issue with the synchros going from 1st to 2nd especially if at high rpms. i know a master mechanic at gm who confirmed this with me. i ask how to have it corrected and he said it would need a newer revised tranny that they introduced later in the model 10 year and early 11. i had one early model 10 and one late model 10 and the early one had the glitch and the late one did not. i waited and got the new tranny and now it is perfect. he said there is nothing wrong with the transmission it just has that hitch in it which they corrected for the most part.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I had this issue in my 2010 M6, and after replacing the clutch, upgrading to a Barton Short Throw, and switching to Royal Purple Tranny fluid, I still have this problem. I am changing to Red Line Tranny Fluid next month and will let you know how that goes.
Don't get your hopes too high (but its always worth a shot...), but I tried Redline, Motul, AMSoil, and a couple others before settling on Royal Purple (gave the best results for me so far, but still not great).

What also showed the biggest help was a seperate res for the clutch along with Motul DOT4 fluid (from JDP Motorsports) and the modified clutch mastercylinder from IDEALG in the transmission forum.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Don't get your hopes too high (but its always worth a shot...), but I tried Redline, Motul, AMSoil, and a couple others before settling on Royal Purple (gave the best results for me so far, but still not great).

What also showed the biggest help was a seperate res for the clutch along with Motul DOT4 fluid (from JDP Motorsports) and the modified clutch mastercylinder from IDEALG in the transmission forum.
That's right, I forgot to mention that I have also done the seperate reservoire for clutch fluid along with DOT4 fluid- didn't help for me lol. And ya I know switching to RedLine probably won't do anything, but might as well try
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #25
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Sorry to hear you guys are having such a rough time with the M6. I think I'm going to be ordering the MGW unit soon. Not because I'm having problems, but because I hear it's SUCH an improvement. Has anyone here tried one to remedy this?

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
A shifter will not fix the internal issues of this transmission, it makes it more pronounced. The redline 75/90 is supposed to be pretty good at evening out shitty transmissions in imports. A lot of them use the asin transmissions. I'm gonna swap it out in the next week or two. Time to drain all the fluids before summer
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #27
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
I have a 2014 manual, and as you guys mention it's not smooth shifting, as you all mentioned from 1st to second, it's jerky. Any solutions
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #28
Kcchiefscraig

Drives: 2010 LT synergy green
Clutch

R&D is being done as we speak!
Attached Images

Mods so far Monster Clutch,first ever! Hurst shifter, RS Headlights with halo always on harness, Heritage Grill, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 20% tint, RX catch can, RX clean side seperator, Vmax Iceolator. BBK long tube headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, gill stripes, GTO Clutch resevoir, plastic dip wheels emblems.

Last edited by Kcchiefscraig; 03-08-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: No photo
Kcchiefscraig is offline   Reply With Quote