Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #57
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Mine collects chips and bird shit...And trust me...Im all over this thing constantly detailing and waxing as well as making sure im 20 ft behind anything ahead of me...Especially after the snowplow speading incident.

Yes my deal was under adverse conditions too but it didnt fare near as well as it should have. Oh well.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #58
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
I bought an LS Summit white Camaro in late April....drive it 15 miles on a busy highway (75 - 80 MPH...well I try to keep it at 80 ) to work and back home 15 miles everyday....closing in on 3000 miles....after reading this thread you guys really scared me. I went out with my magnifying spectacles and got real close....WHEW!!!! Not one chip...quite a few bug guts....but NO CHIPS! Chevy builds these cars in a state of the art facility in Canada....if your paint is chipping and is obvious...it is defective....I don't think it is a major show stopping problem and does not effect all 2010 Camaros...a certain percentage of defects is inevitable. I'd call GM and demand the car be repainted....demand another car or full refund....PERIOD. Sorry you guys have the chips....notify GM...stand up and don't take NO for an answer!!
I love my Camaro....its worth fighting for....!!!!
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #59
Az Sparky

Drives: 74 Camaro, 91 Caddy
well if you all stop driving your Camaros at mach 1 you wont get as many chips. lol but serious GM camaro plant rocks and you all know how hard those guy there work to build your Camaro as best as possible. i owned a new car with paint chips problems answer was either 3m the whole car and drive 20mph and you wont get any chips ever or know that their love marks from driving and that what make each camaro ours and different and special.
Az Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #60
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Maybe the premium paints (IOM, RJT) don't chip as easy.
IOM is not premium. It's the same two stage (color then clear coat) process as all the others except RJT.

That being said the front and rear facia is painted by the supplier and NOT with the car like all the metal parts. It's possible the supplier has a slightly different process for each color. For the metal parts the robots do the same job for all cars (except RJT which gets an extra tint coat).
Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #61
jachevy28
Camaro. Is. Life.

Drives: 2016 1SS
I've had mine one year (9K miles) and around the gills is getting terrible and noticeable from a distance. Found one yesterday way up high on the door. I know black shows everything, but I seriously don't remember noticing anything like this on my 2 previous (silver) Camaros. Guess silver was the ticket for hiding things....
jachevy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #62
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr View Post
I gave up a LONG time ago. I have 12K miles on my car and it is impossible to control. Seems everybody wants to cut this Camaro off and the car does NOT want to go slow........
Man,your car looks terrible! Do you live in a quarry?
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #63
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I've got over 15k miles on mine and no chips that I've found yet. I think I'm just lucky so far.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #64
dragrcr
2SS 6M

Drives: 2010 2SS 6M
NNOOoooooooooo!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Man,your car looks terrible! Do you live in a quarry?

It's just these So Cal Freeways. All these A-Holes think they have to be first and will grab the lane in front of you. When that happens I just ride their ASS! I am a very courtious Driver but I am also very impatient and will let someone know when they are out of line. I guess you could say I am agressive with some restraint. Like, no reason to try to make time when the whole freaking freeway is full of cars, or not reason to go flying up on someone's butt when you can see there is no way around. I just wait till there is an opening and then make my move etc. This Camaro ROCKS!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #65
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhmblbe View Post
My VIN is in the 84K range and I do get chips despite driving like I'm on eggshells. I actually just added the moulded splash guards from GM and am hoping it will curtail some of this nonsense. My wife has a '08 Impala with 30K miles and the only scratches/chips are from parking lot dings and mishaps. This paint that GM provided to us sucks rotten monkey tails(trying to keep it G rated).

So here's the stupid question of the day...

How much would it cost(approximately) to have the whole car repainted PROPERLY by a body shop/professional?
Friend of mine works at a body shop that is tops in the area, says a full paint is around 5k. You could try pricing just a heavy coat of clear.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #66
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
some people like myself take A LOT of pride in our car's appearance. so while some people might now care that there front end looks like something from a Madd Maxx movie, other people like myself do care.

plus... I paid a lot of money for my car. therefore I would expect to have the highest quality of paint as possible. the fact that these cars chip so easily tells me GM is cheaping out somewhere down the line.

kinda funny that this is my only new car I have ever owned that has chipped so easily. so this obviously means this isn't normal.
Alright, dude,...excuse me, I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't have to tell me about "taking pride" in my car, or any car's appearance. You want pride? I picked my car up Oct 23,2009,....let me tell you from a literal standpoint, since I picked up my car, I've been cleaning it everyday since then. And still haven't missed a day. I clean my car and pamper it as if I have OCD, but it's nothing like that, it's just when I'm out in public, I always want to project a clean car of high standards. Dirt, or dust doesn't stay on my car no more than 24 hours, actually less than that! I clean the car once a day, I lowered it from my twice a day routine,...and because of this a wash isn't usually necessary. On a boring day, I'll clean the car from top to bottom, then apply more wax. But because I clean the car once a day, every time I take it out, it's always clean. Got that type of pride??

Since purchasing Adams porter cable detailing kit, I've started a business, I actually detail cars now, and I make some heavy change doing it, and in a very short amount of time; in one day I can see from 200-500 dollars a car! Me, of all people, I'd know about "pride" in one's car.

And hey,....your not the only one who paid alot of money for your car, try less to single yourself out, because WE ALL paid alot of money for our cars. The thing is, everyone can't afford a Camaro SS. So if you actually have one, be grateful and consider yourself lucky enough to be able to afford this beautiful piece of automotive craftsmanship.

Now you may have "paid alot of money" for your car, but that doesn't mean your going to get the "highest quality" anything; this is a great American performance car, but remember, it's still-as another user put it, a Chevrolet. If you want the best paint, some of the best leather,...a taste of luxury plus performance, go buy a CADILLAC. Hell,.....CTS-V. This 2010 Camaro is something any average 30,000 dollar a year hardworking "middle-class" American can afford, so don't expect the materials and quality of the materials to be "the best" or even on par with any luxury brand's material, considering the Camaro's price, consider them to be "pretty darn good", not "luxuriously EXCELLENT". In the end, you get what you paid for. Love my car, but a couple of rock-chips that are totally invisible to anyone beyond a 5ft radius of my car isn't going to kill me.

Quote:
It's just these So Cal Freeways. All these A-Holes think they have to be first and will grab the lane in front of you. When that happens I just ride their ASS! I am a very courtious Driver but I am also very impatient and will let someone know when they are out of line. I guess you could say I am agressive with some restraint. Like, no reason to try to make time when the whole freaking freeway is full of cars, or not reason to go flying up on someone's butt when you can see there is no way around. I just wait till there is an opening and then make my move etc. This Camaro ROCKS!
GOD Jesus......THAT CAR- is beautiful. Man that's a great picture. It's either that or you have a Hd-camera.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #67
ThAtYoUnGinBoI24

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
haha dude i love in rancho cucamonga to! wow didnt think id find a actual member who lives there
ThAtYoUnGinBoI24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #68
ThAtYoUnGinBoI24

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
yeaaa maybeee its the people in front of you are something either way danggg =(
ThAtYoUnGinBoI24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #69
nicendrine

Drives: 2010 2SSRS RY
Just had my car for 7 days and I am pissed! I have a paint chip right above the passenger door window beside the roof ditch. I own several cars and I am not happy with the paint quality of my SS. That is the only gripe I have with this car! I think I will expect more paint chips soon. What can we do? Get it sprayed with thicker clear coat?
nicendrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #70
Striker

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS
The only way this issue is going to get resolved is if everyone that has this problem gets on the horn to GM and let them know what the hell is going on.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote