Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I'd drive a Mustang or an 'SS over a ugly boat-like car they call a Challenger anyday. Dodge needs something to replace the Challenger cause It just doesn't perform as well as the Mustang and Camaro in looks or performance.

Very cool to see that Dodge is making a come back in the Pony war for the 2015 model years though.

2015 is gonna be one exciting model year for all of us, I can't wait.
Keep driving your 5.0 and reading MM&FF, and let us Challenger drivers enjoy our "ugly boat-like cars" LOL
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #58
GrabberB5.Slow

Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Keep driving your 5.0 and reading MM&FF, and let us Challenger drivers enjoy our "ugly boat-like cars" LOL
I'll just leave you to driving Noah's Ark around town.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #59
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
The Camaro is a little big for my preference but the Camaro can pull it off with it's body lines and esthetics. The Challenger on the other hand, it's just so plain to me. The sides are almost completely flat with no lines, almost the same with the front and back.

Dodge's website says that the 392 will hit mid 12s in the auto, high 12's with the manual. Even if it hit 12.2 Bone stock like you said, your comparing the flagship challenger with the base Mustang and Camaro performance wise.

What is this "4 seater" Camaro and Mustang your referring to?
Have you ever priced a 2ss or GT with similar options to a standard SRT8? You are not talking much difference if any. and R/Ts are not that slow either running as quick as 13.2 bone stock with the auto and they start 1500-2k LESS than a GT or SS. They are not bad, they are just different. Bigger, hold 4 instead of 5, rear seat passengers don't want to kill you for riding in the back, smoother ride, options the Camaro could only dream of and some not even available on the Mustang, and even the R/t offers the adjustable suspension with it's availabe super track pack. You go under the assumption it has to be the quickest to be worth it, and fact is that is not the most important to everyone, heck, I would MUCH rather have a ZL1 than a 13 GT500. Oh, on the SRTs 12.2, that is quicker than what most ZL1s are running........ Also, finding the Challenger ugly puts you in a VERY VERY small minority, I like all 3, but you HAVE to honest that the Mustang is probably the one that gets the LEAST looks and likes of the 3......
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #60
GrabberB5.Slow

Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Have you ever priced a 2ss or GT with similar options to a standard SRT8? You are not talking much difference if any. and R/Ts are not that slow either running as quick as 13.2 bone stock with the auto and they start 1500-2k LESS than a GT or SS. They are not bad, they are just different. Bigger, hold 4 instead of 5, rear seat passengers don't want to kill you for riding in the back, smoother ride, options the Camaro could only dream of and some not even available on the Mustang, and even the R/t offers the adjustable suspension with it's availabe super track pack. You go under the assumption it has to be the quickest to be worth it, and fact is that is not the most important to everyone, heck, I would MUCH rather have a ZL1 than a 13 GT500. Oh, on the SRTs 12.2, that is quicker than what most ZL1s are running........ Also, finding the Challenger ugly puts you in a VERY VERY small minority, I like all 3, but you HAVE to honest that the Mustang is probably the one that gets the LEAST looks and likes of the 3......
Running a 13.2 stock is not that fast anymore. The Mustang GT runs a 12.8 stock, even I can vouch for that since I ran my car a week after I bought it, 12.710@111 with a 2.0 60' . The Camaro SS runs from 12.9s to 13.0s . Leaving the R/T the slowest muscle car of the bunch.

I'm not saying being the fastest is the best thing out there, it's for the driver to decide what he wants, but what most people look at around where I'm from is how quick it is. No one cares how fast you can take turns by yourself on you're way home from the drag strip.

You want to rave about comfort and the ride, thats all up to you, but if I wanted the comfort and the ride I'd be looking at a luxury car, not a muscle car.

I get all sorts of looks and head turns all the time, as all 3 muscle cars will and do. Maybe the Challengers sales are below the Mustangs and Camaros for a reason? More people like and prefer a Mustang or Camaro. Most agree with me with the whole boat-like chassis, but at the same time respect the retro-styling in it as do I. But it's just so big, heavy, and can barely get out of it's own way after test driving the R/T 2 years ago.

I guess my dealerships are different cause they wanted 45k for a loaded R/T, and 35K - 38K for fully loaded Mustangs and Camaros.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #61
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Running a 13.2 stock is not that fast anymore. The Mustang GT runs a 12.8 stock, even I can vouch for that since I ran my car a week after I bought it, 12.710@111 with a 2.0 60' . The Camaro SS runs from 12.9s to 13.0s . Leaving the R/T the slowest muscle car of the bunch.

I'm not saying being the fastest is the best thing out there, it's for the driver to decide what he wants, but what most people look at around where I'm from is how quick it is. No one cares how fast you can take turns by yourself on you're way home from the drag strip.

You want to rave about comfort and the ride, thats all up to you, but if I wanted the comfort and the ride I'd be looking at a luxury car, not a muscle car.

I get all sorts of looks and head turns all the time, as all 3 muscle cars will and do. Maybe the Challengers sales are below the Mustangs and Camaros for a reason? More people like and prefer a Mustang or Camaro. Most agree with me with the whole boat-like chassis, but at the same time respect the retro-styling in it as do I. But it's just so big, heavy, and can barely get out of it's own way after test driving the R/T 2 years ago.

I guess my dealerships are different cause they wanted 45k for a loaded R/T, and 35K - 38K for fully loaded Mustangs and Camaros.
Actually most Camaro SSs at the strip are running mid 13s, Mustangs are a different beast. i am sorry, but the Camaro and Challenger are basically cut from the same ilk. They both are built on SEDAN platforms, BOTH ARE HEAVY, BOTH DRIVE VERY SIMILAR IF YOU HAVE EVEN DRIVEN BOTH! Also, the Challengers is selling FAR HIGHER than the sales goal EVERY was, 25k per year and they are close, if not past that, in the first HALF iof this year. you are open to your opinion, but you are stating it as FACT when it is NOT. Heck, even the mustang with it's Lincoln LS roots is heavier and larger than it should be. Look at Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ. THESE are true examples of what a true 2 plus 2 RWD sporty car should be, 2700 pounds, adjust it for a V8 under the hood and MAYBE a bit over 3000. Right now all 3 are adaptations of some sedan platform, with yes, the Mustang being the furthest away from it's "provider', but it olso lost it's dad's IRS in the transition, yes, they could have done that so easily, but you and I both know they didn't because of cost and because SRA is better for straightline. Anyways, i digress.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #62
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
Camaro and Mustang are gonna fight it out to the death and we benefit!
More like until 2016...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #63
Minkman555

Drives: 2001 MONTE CARLO
The spy photos are of the special edition version of the srt8 challenger. The 300 , Charger and challenger srt versions are all going to have a special edition 6.2hemi with an eaton.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #64
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
C&D has a rendering this month.

I could see myself in one of these in 2015...
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #65
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Dodge does have a 6.2L supercharged engine out in the VERY NEAR future..........

This is fact and not rumor anymore.
70 more HP and a little less weight and only about .2 quicker. Those 392's are quite impressive for everybody complaining about them being too heavy and under powered.

Can't wait to see what they do when the supercharged motor gets dropped in.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #66
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo View Post
If they built that, I would be so all over it. That looks awesome.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #67
midwest mcnasty
scottie v

Drives: 2012 2lt camaro iom rs package
Seen this last saturday....

midwest mcnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #68
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
That rendering of the red car above looks pretty damn sweet I will say. Definitely got that American muscle styling going for it.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #69
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Probably a fiat or dodge dart on

STEROIDS. !!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #70
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If the Cuda returns, I wonder if Chevy will bring a classic nameplate back.

Also, why doesn't GM have a performance division like SRT, SVT, and the others?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote