Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Angry DELL XPS9000 IS $3,600 PILE OF CRAP

I Bought it in May. I built is with the top of the line everything for this model at the time.

I had my 10th phone support 4 hour call with India tonight ,and It's still not fixed. Tuesday, they sent a kid out that is still going to school to replace every part in it right down to the wiring harness. Funny thing is I was online pricing out another dell for my business when it screwed up again.

I guess I'll be switching to HP.

End of rant, I'm sure know one cares ,but at least I feel a little better.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
both my HP and Mac have had ZERO problems
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
both my HP and Mac have had ZERO problems
This is the second time I bought a higher end dell and had troubles from day one. I like the mac but there not as business friendly for what I do.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
I thought the days of spending over $2,000 for a computer were gone. Computers are disposable items now-a-days!

I drop about $600 every year or two on a new laptop and get last month's "top of the line".

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
WiccaJew

Drives: Black & Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
I thought the days of spending over $2,000 for a computer were gone. Computers are disposable items now-a-days!

I drop about $600 every year or two on a new laptop and get last month's "top of the line".

Same year. I have people come into my work all the time and order a 3000$ dell adaio laptop. They had 2 gbs of ram and a 250gb hard drive. The only reason they bought them is cause they weighed 2lbs and had wireless... They said that work only allowed them to buy that but right next to it was a $1000 asus with 6gigs of ram and a 600gb hard drive with twice the processing speed and they just brush it off. Ugh.

ARH 1 7/8 headers, ARH 3" XPIPE, MBRP 3" Catback
WiccaJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post

I keep a computer for about 8 to 10 years so for me it's a good value. I'm in business and I hate moving everything from one computer to the next. If you spend $600 for a computer every year for eight years you will have paid $1,200 more than me and have the hassle of moving all your programs and data every year.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Get a nice toshiba laptop. I have had mine for about three years now and no problems. Never been let down by toshiba

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I keep a computer for about 8 to 10 years so for me it's a good value. I'm in business and I hate moving everything from one computer to the next. If you spend $600 for a computer every year for eight years you will have paid $1,200 more than me and have the hassle of moving all your programs and data every year.
It's called a flash drive. ;-)

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I Bought it in May. I built is with the top of the line everything for this model at the time.

I had my 10th phone support 4 hour call with India tonight ,and It's still not fixed. Tuesday, they sent a kid out that is still going to school to replace every part in it right down to the wiring harness. Funny thing is I was online pricing out another dell for my business when it screwed up again.

I guess I'll be switching to HP.

End of rant, I'm sure know one cares ,but at least I feel a little better.

So, what's wrong with it? what's it doing/not doing, etc? Symptoms?

what's been done software wise? reinstall OS, etc etc?
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have a top of the line XPS 1330, three years old, no problems other than they had to change the processor right after I got it... overheating...

I've hade an e-machine, and a gateway, and hated them... If for no other reason than the in home complete care... I'll never own anything other than a Dell Laptop....

That having been said, I just stopped carrying my laptop to wok, since my wife bought me a 64 gig iPad, with 3G wireless...

Light weight, and does what I need that my laptop used to do...entertainment...I have a computer on the rig for checking the forum...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
So, what's wrong with it? what's it doing/not doing, etc? Symptoms?

what's been done software wise? reinstall OS, etc etc?
The first thing it did was from day one is it would lock up, and I would have to reboot it. After many calls that seemed to stop ,but then I would have to power it twice with the button to get it to boot from a shut down ,which they never did fix. Now after they came to my place and replaced every part in it on tuesday, it started just turning off while I'm using it and then rebooting on it's own. It did that twice tonight. After 4 hours on the phone tonight I got know where.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I have a top of the line XPS 1330, three years old, no problems other than they had to change the processor right after I got it... overheating...

I've hade an e-machine, and a gateway, and hated them... If for no other reason than the in home complete care... I'll never own anything other than a Dell Laptop....

That having been said, I just stopped carrying my laptop to wok, since my wife bought me a 64 gig iPad, with 3G wireless...

Light weight, and does what I need that my laptop used to do...entertainment...I have a computer on the rig for checking the forum...
I do have to agree in a way. I've always used dell ,and they have been good for the most part. But, it seems that I always some sort of problem right out of the box and once that's fixed then they are reliable. Go figure.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I have 5 DELL cpu's 3 laptops and 2 for the house all have been awsome...my monster is a 720 water cooled dual 768 SLI i7core.....
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
If you're buying from Dell's website, watch the item for a few weeks. The Dell Inspiron laptop I'm using right now jumped between $550 and $950; price changed weekly. I snagged it when it was $599 with free shipping at the time.

If you're using these computers for work (SOHO) and have a network in place, I would suggest getting two network hard drives. One for all your programs and files and the other one to back-up the first one. Then when you rebuild a computer you have all your programs in one place for a easy rebuild and two you can have map drives to all your files.

I work in IT and support over 500 computers in my facility and know how time consuming it is constantly rebuilding machines.

8-10 years, your computers must not be exposed to the internet!!!

Good luck on getting your machine back up and running.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote