Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-21-2024, 09:03 AM   #1
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Ls7 meth Injected

How dependable are methanol injection?

Worth the expense - efforts and outcomes?

Considerings of running meth on a 15 Ls7 w/ forged pistons, treated rods & crank, heads shimmed, valves replaced (heads worked ~ built for boost SC by Lingenfelter. Currently running a P1x on 7lbs. Searching for a dependable means of 40-60 hp.

Appreciate your opinion ☕️
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
I’ve been running it for 3-4 years now. It’s a great fuel source especially for boosted cars. Only down side is pump rebuild after a few years and sourcing the meth. I have a few shops around me that sells 5 gallon batches at $40
If you are looking at kits i would go prometh tanks, braided lines and nozzles with a AEM controller. Makes the install so much cleaner and easier.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:06 AM   #3
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
E85 not available?
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:31 AM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I ran meth until I went e85. The nylon lines and fittings tend to leak over time and reassembly when your working on the car. Never had a problem with the Snow pump, but their controller died and switch to HPC. Switched the nylon lines to PTFE nitrous lines I had laying around. I had nozzles get clogged and a solenoid fail. Meth does a number on aluminum so use brass or stainless wherever possible. I ended having to test as part of my pre-track checklist. If you are going to really make the tune dependent on it, you need to divorce the IAT from the MAF plug an put an IAT sensor about six inches in front of the TB. That way you know if it's actually lowering temps.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:56 AM   #5
richard grimsley
GRIM

Greatly appreciate the info not to mention your time in response. I am merely nervous running meth. Considering one of my car enthusiasts colleagues had installed but, his engine Ls was destroyed due too improper tune (as I was told).
If I did go this route ~ RPM would be doing the job.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #6
richard grimsley
GRIM

E-85 is available but, I would have to travel at or around 50 miles to obtain.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #7
CamaroCracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post
Greatly appreciate the info not to mention your time in response. I am merely nervous running meth. Considering one of my car enthusiasts colleagues had installed but, his engine Ls was destroyed due too improper tune (as I was told).
If I did go this route ~ RPM would be doing the job.
To be on the safe side, a lot of people only run meth as insurance. In other words, they don't make the tune dependent on the additional "octane" it provides. Of course, then you leave a lot of the additional power on the table. If you are going to maximize power under meth, you need to add fail safes that would not add the additional timing if IATs did not decrease. It's a good idea to have something that tells you when the level gets low and if fuel pressure is low, but separating out that IAT sensor would critical. I don't know of another way to determine if the meth is doing it's job.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:24 AM   #8
richard grimsley
GRIM

Thank you y’all, tremendous appreciation.
I have been researching the pros & cons of going this route for both single injection stage-1 and dual stage-2.

Found this- as for advantages:
A two-stage methanol injection system can provide several advantages for a P1x ProCharged modified LS7 engine with forged pistons, treated connecting rods, and crank:

1. *Increased Power*: Methanol injection can provide a significant power increase by cooling the intake air, allowing for more aggressive timing and boost, and providing a richer fuel mixture.
2. *Improved Knock Resistance*: Methanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, which helps to prevent engine knock (pinging) and allows for more aggressive tuning.
3. *Reduced Engine Knock*: By injecting methanol at the appropriate time, the engine knock can be reduced, allowing for a more efficient combustion process.
4. *Lower Intake Air Temperatures*: Methanol injection can lower intake air temperatures, which can lead to increased power and efficiency.
5. *Improved Fuel Efficiency*: By optimizing the fuel mixture and combustion process, methanol injection can lead to improved fuel efficiency.
6. *Increased Boost Pressure*: With the ability to run more aggressive timing and boost, a two-stage methanol injection system can allow for increased boost pressure, resulting in more power.
7. *Improved Engine Durability*: By reducing engine knock and running a more efficient combustion process, methanol injection can help to improve engine durability and longevity.
8. *Tuning Flexibility*: A two-stage methanol injection system provides more flexibility for tuning, allowing for more precise control over the fuel mixture and combustion process.
9. *Reduced Risk of Engine Damage*: By providing a more stable and efficient combustion process, methanol injection can reduce the risk of engine damage from excessive heat or engine knock.

It's important to note that a two-stage methanol injection system requires proper installation, tuning, and maintenance to ensure safe and effective operation. Additionally, methanol injection should only be used in conjunction with a properly designed and installed engine management system.
Negative:
While a two-stage methanol injection system can offer several benefits, there are also some potential negatives to consider:

1. *Increased Complexity*: Adding a methanol injection system can increase the complexity of the engine management system, which can lead to more potential points of failure.
2. *Higher Cost*: A two-stage methanol injection system can be more expensive than a single-stage system or other performance upgrades.
3. *Methanol Safety Concerns*: Methanol is a highly toxic and flammable substance, which requires proper handling, storage, and installation to ensure safety.
4. *Corrosion Risks*: Methanol can corrode certain materials, such as aluminum and rubber, if not properly protected.
5. *Fuel System Modifications*: A two-stage methanol injection system may require significant modifications to the fuel system, which can be time-consuming and costly.
6. *Tuning Challenges*: Optimizing the performance of a two-stage methanol injection system can be challenging and require specialized knowledge and equipment.
7. *Reliability Concerns*: Additional components and complexity can increase the risk of reliability issues and component failure.
8. *Weight and Space*: The additional components and plumbing required for a two-stage methanol injection system can add weight and occupy space in the engine compartment.
9. *Limited Flexibility*: Once installed, a two-stage methanol injection system may not be easily adaptable to changes in engine configuration or operating conditions.
10. *Potential for Over-Injection*: If not properly tuned, a two-stage methanol injection system can lead to over-injection, which can cause engine damage or other issues.

It's essential to carefully weigh these negatives against the benefits and consider your specific situation, engine configuration, and performance goals before deciding to install a two-stage methanol injection system. Consult with a qualified professional to ensure a successful installation and tuning process.
Therefore ~ figuratively ~ let’s say rwhp-719 & rwtq-609 ~ results:
The increase in horsepower after installing a methanol injection system depends on various factors, such as the efficiency of the system, the amount of methanol injected, and the engine's specific configuration.

Assuming a well-designed and properly tuned methanol injection system, a common estimate is a 10-20% increase in horsepower and torque.

Based on the initial numbers:

- 719 rwhp x 1.10 (10% increase) = 791 rwhp
- 719 rwhp x 1.20 (20% increase) = 863 rwhp

Similarly, for torque:

- 609 ft-lbs x 1.10 (10% increase) = 670 ft-lbs
- 609 ft-lbs x 1.20 (20% increase) = 731 ft-lbs

Keep in mind that these estimates are rough and can vary depending on the specific installation and tuning. A more accurate prediction would require detailed knowledge of the engine, methanol injection system, and tuning strategy. Consult with a qualified professional to get a better understanding of the potential gains for your specific setup.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:18 AM   #9
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
couple thing i can say, in my 2 stage setup ive noticed it does not cool as much as people will tell you. Its more of a fuel booter. As far as HP goes i dont believe those numbers. You will probably gain 30-50, maybe 60 hp max.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:33 PM   #10
CamaroCracka

Agree with Tartaglia, if meth added 100hp everyone would run it. You also don't need multi-stage, just use a progressive controller with a solenoid. You can run as many jets as you like.

If you are boosted at that power level, skip the meth and go straight to e85. It does not lower IAT as well, but does everything else meth does for $3/gal, is easier to find and is much less likely to fail. Your tuner can put failsafes into your tune in case fuel pressure gets low. With meth, it's tricky.

The other thing you need to consider is just because you have fuel to run 860hp does not mean the engine will hold the boost levels required to make 860hp. Is the bottom end forged? Will the heads lift at that level of boost?

Old 04-30-2024, 01:22 PM   #11
richard grimsley
GRIM

My Ls7 built by Lingenfelter: aluminum block, forged pistons, treated titanium rods, treated crank; “bump-stick” BTR wild-cat cam; heads upgraded GM Ls7 by Lingenfelter performance -ported, polished, shaved; MSD intake gasket matched; 103 TB; “2 LT’s; P1X PC w/“4 pulley at 7.3 lbs.RPM tuned.
Tuner recommended meth route.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:22 AM   #12
CamaroCracka

Meth or E85, if you are putting down 700+ at 7 lbs, add one and increase the boost. You will definitely make more power and should not be at risk at higher boost levels. E85 will cost more because you either need a high end return style set up or and aux pump (if you can get away with it), but a good meth kit is not cheap either.

If your setup is put together by Lingenfelter, you might not want the cheap solution of using a meth kit since you already have a top dollar mill.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #13
richard grimsley
GRIM

Greatly appreciate the advice. ����
Old 05-02-2024, 08:02 PM   #14
Carpetguy

Drives: 2011
I ran alky meth injection. Was a older set up.
Talk to (I believe) Julio at alky and was A great person to speak with and the knowledge was exceptional to learn fro
Order a newer dual nozzel stainless braided kit also already had pro meth tank.Ran great nver a issue with watching the boost lights on my dash .
Then needed to redo my turbo headers.A shitty shop screwed me over bad long story short .
The place decided they didnt like meth kits and did a retune my set up.Deleteted my kit with out asking.
Lost quite a bit hp and torque. And cooler IAT

Now i have a complete alky system with a pro meth tank just sitting around in the garage .
Carpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote