Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #85
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Sometimes I feel like people read half of the first sentence of a thread and then reply.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #86
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbambino22 View Post
Read the thread
Oh I did. And I picked a post that I wished to respond to. Forgot that I had to be on the 1le forum 24\7 and respond exactly in order to everyone else. Must be an epic fail to want to contribute to any threads or discussionary forums.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #87
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Sorry to hear about the Camaro AB deployments-glad your all ok.

Trying to get caught up with several of these threads.

Questions -due to currently tracking (have good suspension and am upgrading autox tread-pzero shot)

1- can the side airbag deploy only individually in any situation and not as both/pair (example-only single side impact trips Only that side)?

It seems from post #7-just the passenger side can deploy (although it was Ctsv)-please confirm. Why would a front bag deploy from too much G (cup expects rollover)?

2- If individually, can the passenger side and even front passenger dash be disabled via fuse/wiring while leaving driver's online? I see no reason to keep passenger half active at the track (except maybe side glass debris).

module locations?

3- is there only one fuse and what is its / their amp rating?

according to post 20-yes-please confirm.

F3?

4- is there only one dash light / indication that would indicate-regardless of whether the fuse was pulled or one bag disconnected (same as I see when I pull passenger seat out)?

Many of the autox tracks are on flat parking lots with no poles/posts and far from edges. Dont see rollover at 40+mph, even if a tire shread occurs. Seems like fuse pull in order.

I have gotten slight break free at an 1/2 mile oval autox at 80+, would like to keep the driver's side bags active.

Straight track-airbags Staying On.

Thanks,

Tim

Q2. No, it's all or nothing unless you bypass the air bags with a simulator or resistor.

Q3. No, there are four fuses that need to be pulled in order to remove all power to the SIR. Look in the service manual schematics.

Q4. Not sure what you are asking. The DIC pops up on mine every time I start the car and then I clear it from the left turn signal. There's a indicator light on the rear view mirror that stays on.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #88
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Thanks. See comments (T).

My understanding if there is a fault anywhere in the system the bags will not deploy. When I researched this for fixing my side curtains, there's not a lot if clear info on this stuff. That may be on purpose since it's a critical safety system and the average Joe shouldn't mess with it.

I have the schematics scanned on my laptop. I'll post them if I get a chance.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #89
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
Oh I did. And I picked a post that I wished to respond to. Forgot that I had to be on the 1le forum 24\7 and respond exactly in order to everyone else. Must be an epic fail to want to contribute to any threads or discussionary forums.
You didn't contribute anything. The OP came clean so worry about what he says instead of "picking" what to respond to. The OP had the questions
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #90
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Sorry to hear this happended to you. GM telling you to get a supena to see data they pulled out of your car boils my blood.

It's got got to be a bug in their air bag deployment code, probably why they are being so defensive about it. 1.5g s should not deploy an air bag even if you are side ways. The forces involved in a real crash are much greater. As you found out, its within the tolerance level a good driver with some mods can get the car to do.

I'd at least report to the NTSA.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #91
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I've read this thread last year and thought "that purely sucks".

But then I thought too, that bannonm is a stand up guy that sucked it up because he knew exactly what he did to his car, exactly where he was and what was going on and reported it that way when it came time to inquire about warranty coverage. It got denied, and he paid for repair and didn't cry and whine about it. It was an expensive deal, though, and that in itself sucks. But as he said, you have to pay to play.

But I reread all 4 pages just now and it also occurred to me that while there's all this "don't mess with the air bag system" talk, that's only if you're conditioned to believe you HAVE to have air bags. I got 60s, 70s, and 80s models I drive, and they have no air bags. I feel just as safe on the road with them without bags as I do in the 2010 Camaro.

This isn't to discount the air bag's benefits. But when you zip around a track in a say, 1LE+ car that has been modified, I see nothing wrong in disabling air bags during track time. I'm an advocate of safety, but it's also dangerous dealing with Jack-in-the-box airbags that could pop out at anytime on the track and cause a crash.

If I were bannonm, and the air bags deployed on me in that fashion, I'd probably buy the air bag parts, put them in a closet and wait until I was done tracking my car before I put them back in. Might put in the new headliner though. And use the Camaro only for track days, as was suggested he do. Can't deploy if they're not there. Not sure if he'd be willing to give up that safety feature though. A personal decision, that's for sure.

Another option is, if the yaw sensor is indeed what causes the side curtains to deploy, is for some EE genius to figure out how to bypass it during track day? I dunno. I've always figured if you can figure out how it's made and where the triggers are, you can figure out any work arounds. If it's simple enough, you may could put in one of those manually disable switches in it aka the ASR in the 4th gen. Automatically came on with the key, but you had to manually turn it off. And it defaulted to "ON" in the next time you started the car in case you forgot.

I plan on leaving my ZL1 stock, so if the air bags deploy like these ever and the car is under warranty, I would expect them to make it right. If an air bag rep tried to tell me to piss off, the next breath would likely be through that hole left in his neck where his pen once was.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #92
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
My understanding if there is a fault anywhere in the system the bags will not deploy. When I researched this for fixing my side curtains, there's not a lot if clear info on this stuff. That may be on purpose since it's a critical safety system and the average Joe shouldn't mess with it.

I have the schematics scanned on my laptop. I'll post them if I get a chance.
Another option would be for someone to come up with a way to "inject" a false fault into the system, then the airbags wouldn't deploy. When you're done with your track event, remove the false fault and your airbags go back to normal. I'm sure from a technical standpoint it could be done, just don't know what it would take. If there was an easy way to unplug one of the sensors, would that do it?
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #93
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I've read this thread last year and thought "that purely sucks".

But then I thought too, that bannonm is a stand up guy that sucked it up because he knew exactly what he did to his car, exactly where he was and what was going on and reported it that way when it came time to inquire about warranty coverage. It got denied, and he paid for repair and didn't cry and whine about it. It was an expensive deal, though, and that in itself sucks. But as he said, you have to pay to play.

But I reread all 4 pages just now and it also occurred to me that while there's all this "don't mess with the air bag system" talk, that's only if you're conditioned to believe you HAVE to have air bags. I got 60s, 70s, and 80s models I drive, and they have no air bags. I feel just as safe on the road with them without bags as I do in the 2010 Camaro.

This isn't to discount the air bag's benefits. But when you zip around a track in a say, 1LE+ car that has been modified, I see nothing wrong in disabling air bags during track time. I'm an advocate of safety, but it's also dangerous dealing with Jack-in-the-box airbags that could pop out at anytime on the track and cause a crash.

If I were bannonm, and the air bags deployed on me in that fashion, I'd probably buy the air bag parts, put them in a closet and wait until I was done tracking my car before I put them back in. Might put in the new headliner though. And use the Camaro only for track days, as was suggested he do. Can't deploy if they're not there. Not sure if he'd be willing to give up that safety feature though. A personal decision, that's for sure.

Another option is, if the yaw sensor is indeed what causes the side curtains to deploy, is for some EE genius to figure out how to bypass it during track day? I dunno. I've always figured if you can figure out how it's made and where the triggers are, you can figure out any work arounds. If it's simple enough, you may could put in one of those manually disable switches in it aka the ASR in the 4th gen. Automatically came on with the key, but you had to manually turn it off. And it defaulted to "ON" in the next time you started the car in case you forgot.

I plan on leaving my ZL1 stock, so if the air bags deploy like these ever and the car is under warranty, I would expect them to make it right. If an air bag rep tried to tell me to piss off, the next breath would likely be through that hole left in his neck where his pen once was.
I would be willing to bet I am not as safe in my BBC 1969 Camaro with a 6 point cage and a five point harness as I am in our new 2013 1LE. I bet not even close! If your car is going to live on the track, and all the proper safety equipment is installed for the class you are running, I could see killing an air bag system, but not if the car was still going to be my daily driver, or even see moderate to heavy street use. There was a video of an old Chevy (like a '56 or so) and a newer Chevy (Malibu I believe) in a crash test. If I remember, the older vehicle driver was killed and the newer vehicle driver had minor injuries. These systems work and save lives. If your car is reaching the point where it's track performance is making it less streetable, you need to make a call. This is no different than when the addition of the 4500 RPM stall speed made the older cars not as much fun to drive on a regular bases, or 13:5 to 1 compression requires gas that now costs $10 a gallon. You kind of reach a point. Is the performance gain worth the drivability? And yes, safety is a key factor in drivability.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #94
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Too many Camaros and CTS-Vs that have had the bags go off in autocross, I would pull the fuses as suggested or not race.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #95
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Too many Camaros and CTS-Vs that have had the bags go off in autocross, I would pull the fuses as suggested or not race.
Agree 110%. I pull my fuse at the track. I know a guy who had his Camaro's bags go off at the track. His passenger got burned by the seatbelt tensioning system.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #96
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Agree 110%. I pull my fuse at the track. I know a guy who had his Camaro's bags go off at the track. His passenger got burned by the seatbelt tensioning system.
Just curious....which fuse is it?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #97
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Personally I am not pulling any fuses. My car however will remain stock and will be autoxed on street legal tires. They want to deny my warranty for that, good luck because I will go with a lawyer as many of them take cases like this with a "paid x % if won" contract.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #98
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Just curious....which fuse is it?
It's one of the fuses behind the fuse panel on the left end of the dashboard. There's a diagram that shows you which one to pull.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 12-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote