Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #29
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Since this thread is titled "Camaro Coilover Comparison Facts", I would like hear the facts from both Pfadt and Pedders regarding their coilovers with respect to camber adjustment.

How much negative camber can you get with the Pfadt coil overs if the Camaro was lowered either 1" or 1.5" without the camber plates? I doubt I will ever need more than -2 degree of camber up front(?).
Hi Avalnch, we are really talking about two different ways of doing things here. There is a TON of camber adjustment in the OEM set up, for DD to mild track use. I believe that lowered 1.5" you could easily get 2 to 2.5 degrees negative up front, with out the use of any addition features/parts. If the OEM struts were ride height adjustable, I am sure you could see these numbers.

It is important to note that adding our Caster/Camber plates is really for a couple of different reasons, the main ones being that it is a bolt on part that allows customers to easily, and repeatedly change caster/camber quickly. No wheels have to come off or anything. So it is a "street/track" set up part. The parts also allow for an additional degree of negative camber, for race duty on race tires. The caster adjustment is a huge benefit of the plates as well, as caster is not adjustable from the factory, and most racing set ups see caster values that are drastically different from OEM specs.

Hope that helps!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #30
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Thanks for the thorough thread so far, I just wanted to ask about the fact that you use the spring perch for height adjustment. For the sake of full disclosure and not looking like a plant, I had questioned your competitive counterparts over in the other Coilover Facts thread that was referenced above regarding the claim that designs using the lower spring perch adversely affects spring pre-compression as well as jounce/travel in that if the car is lowered too much there is the potential to hit the bump stop before full compression of the spring effectively limiting your range of travel. Do either of these alleged negatives of using the lower perch for adjustment affect the normal function of your coilovers and if yes/no, why/why not?

Thanks in advance....
Hi Robert,

No, nothing of what you mentioned pertains to Pfadt Coilovers. As a result of engineering our coilovers specifically for the requirements of the Camaro chassis, we have designed full suspension travel in them, no matter the ride height. We do not use off the shelf parts from any other platforms, so we saw this opportunity to have a "clean-sheet" design. In a Macpherson strut (front) suspension, the front struts are turning with the wheels (as opposed to the shocks in a SLA suspension). We didn't see the reason to create the potential for the body-locking ring to come loose from steering inputs, when we could just accommodate all the suspension travel needed, in a fixed design.

Our dampers in our coilovers, work the same at stock ride height, or -1.75" ride height. That is a fact.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
PfadtRacing

Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #32
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
That is one sick video for one sick product.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
As I continue to push my car a bit harder at an ever so slow pace, I'm learning more about how my car feels and reacts as I begin to hit the 'G' max. I believe PFADT Coil overs are in my forseeable future.

I'll do a better install vid this time. lol
Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
As I continue to push my car a bit harder at an ever so slow pace, I'm learning more about how my car feels and reacts as I begin to hit the 'G' max. I believe PFADT Coil overs are in my forseeable future.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

PQ, give us a call when you are ready!! That is exactly the process that we intend people to take where they make important upgrades early, gain driving resolution to learn how and what to upgrade from there, and then address those other areas.

Thanks man!