Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 04:07 PM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I wonder if GM ever considers spinning off Escalade into its own brand. Cadillac the nameplate is just so dead sounding. I’d drive an Escalade, it’s not really my style, but I wouldn’t be caught in anything else with a Cadillac nameplate. IMO the Europeans still have nicer cars.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:49 PM   #16
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I wonder if GM ever considers spinning off Escalade into its own brand. Cadillac the nameplate is just so dead sounding. I’d drive an Escalade, it’s not really my style, but I wouldn’t be caught in anything else with a Cadillac nameplate. IMO the Europeans still have nicer cars.
Yes interior designs and quality were always better on Mercedes, BMW, and Audi and still are. I once drove a brand new CTS coupe back-to-back with a Mercedes C-Class coupe at one of those driving events where you can drive different cars from different manufacturers.

What a huge difference in the driving experience. The CTS felt like just another car. The S was like….. sensual. Addictive. Intoxicating. I never wanted to get out.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Ok, lets discuss some known facts:

1. Cadillac is the flagship marque of the GM Corporation.
2. Regular sized ICE pickup trucks and SUVs are the premier and primary product of GM. They are the breadwinner of the company, and GM will continue to sell ICE pickups and SUVs if it will net the company a profit. In fact, it is rumored that Cadillac will introduce their version of GM's excellent Pick-up truck platform in a year. So much for converting to EV.
3. GM should continue to innovate technology in automobiles and continue to develop EV vehicles and alternative fuel sources. While EVs are insightful and innovative, the technology is still a decade away from the advancement from ICE. In addition to this, the company could discover other alternative fuels that could exceed the benefit from EV.
4. I believe the company made a cardinal error by discarding their Saturn Division. Perhaps it could have converted itself into an internal division that (for the moment) doesn't sell or distribute ICE vehicles. This division could've created a sole objective of research and development for all types of energy sources and advancement of technology for transportation. Saturn could've been an ideal platform for introducing EV and other vehicles with alternative fuels. Vehicles from the Saturn division could've been a hit, instead of the missed opportunities it suffered before its demise.

GM has its work cut out for it, and they are in store for several battles with competitors. Now is the time for GM to hone- in on their technology efforts and reduce and mitigate missed opportunites.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:35 PM   #18
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
...2500 6.2 with a real 3 pedal manual transmission I probably would.

Be that as it may, eventually I will be ordering a new Taco TRD off road 6 speed (don’t worry the Camaro is going nowhere).

I don't mind at all that you plan to buy a Taco TRD off road, but I'd like to ask why your preference is the Taco, versus a Colorado TB / Z71 / ZR2 or a Canyon AT4? Is it price, or value, or looks, or a combination of those?

EDIT:...Oh...I just noticed you said 6 speed. Is that the big reason?
Old 05-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #19
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I don't mind at all that you plan to buy a Taco TRD off road, but I'd like to ask why your preference is the Taco, versus a Colorado TB / Z71 / ZR2 or a Canyon AT4? Is it price, or value, or looks, or a combination of those?

EDIT:...Oh...I just noticed you said 6 speed. Is that the big reason?
Exactly.

I’d drive a Yugo 4 speed over a Ferrari with flappy paddles.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-06-2024, 04:57 PM   #20
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Exactly.

I’d drive a Yugo 4 speed over a Ferrari with flappy paddles.
Uh, Ok, I am not that much of a purist LOL!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:11 PM   #21
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Uh, Ok, I am not that much of a purist LOL!
Don’t get me wrong, even I know how laughable my comparison is.

I’d drool like crazy if Ferrari still offered a true 3 pedal manual with all their new cars. That chrome shifter, aluminum knob, and dogleg gated shift pattern they used to use is just beautiful and the snick-snick of their shifting precision was unrivaled by any car in the world.

But honestly, when I look at Ferraris or any car today that isn’t available with a real manual transmission, I’m either sad or the car is just completely uninteresting to me.

I still feel like any truck should be available with a manual. When you’re hauling or trailering you can obviously run the risk of cooking the auto trans fluid especially going up hills. And in bad weather, snow, etc, holding gears and driving with the throttle without touching the brake is much safer and keeps you in better control.

And bottom line is that they’re just simpler. No electronic controls, computers, solenoids, the only thing that could really go bad is the clutch which are pretty cheap and relatively straight forward and easy to replace, and if by chance you do screw up the gearbox it’s all just gears, bearings, and synchros. Not much has really changed on them in 60 years other than an additional 2-4 gears.

Good luck if your modern automatic transmission fails. Especially these 10 speed Allison’s in modern Silverado HDs…… might put you into bankruptcy to fix it.
Sharkskin/Light gray

Last edited by olrocker; 05-07-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:58 PM   #22
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, even I know how laughable my comparison is.

I’d drool like crazy if Ferrari still offered a true 3 pedal manual with all their new cars. That chrome shifter, aluminum knob, and dogleg gated shift pattern they used to use is just beautiful and the snick-snick of their shifting precision was unrivaled by any car in the world.

But honestly, when I look at Ferraris or any car today that isn’t available with a real manual transmission, I’m either sad or the car is just completely uninteresting to me.

I still feel like any truck should be available with a manual. When you’re hauling or trailering you can obviously run the risk of cooking the auto trans fluid especially going up hills. And in bad weather, snow, etc, holding gears and driving with the throttle without touching the brake is much safer and keeps you in better control.

And bottom line is that they’re just simpler. No electronic controls, computers, solenoids, the only thing that could really go bad is the clutch which are pretty cheap and relatively straight forward and easy to replace, and if by chance you do screw up the gearbox it’s all just gears, bearings, and synchros. Not much has really changed on them in 60 years other than an additional 2-4 gears.

Good luck if your modern automatic transmission fails. Especially these 10 speed Allison’s in modern Silverado HDs…… might put you into bankruptcy to fix it.
Modern automatics are...amazing, actually. They work well in Semi trucks and they work well in light duty trucks. They are able to adequately cool themselves, and with lockup in most gears, lower speed pulling doesn't cook a trans like it used to. And you can hold gears.

The driving enjoyment piece is subjective, sure, but automatics are not what they once were.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:00 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Modern automatics are...amazing, actually. They work well in Semi trucks and they work well in light duty trucks. They are able to adequately cool themselves, and with lockup in most gears, lower speed pulling doesn't cook a trans like it used to. And you can hold gears.

The driving enjoyment piece is subjective, sure, but automatics are not what they once were.
I agree.

Tow/haul mode on trucks tends to come with additional features, such as being able to lock out over drive gears, or hold gears much longer to avoid overheating, and they also employ engine braking on downhills to ease the need for using and potentially overheating brakes. Sure the new mid-size trucks aren't the best at the engine braking thing simply because a 4 cylinder engine isn't going to do this as well as a bigger diesel engine.

Manuals are fun and all that, and cheaper for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to tow with a modern automatic. The downside of buying that manual Taco is that you are also stuck with the base engine that is considerably underpowered compared to the version you can get with the auto, but I'm assuming that's not a big deal to the manual die hards.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:30 PM   #24
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
US emissions regulations need to be rolled back 20 years. The environment was great after Y2K. Everything thats been implemented since then has only come at the expense of fuel mileage which ironically, has created more carbon waste.

I'd like to see GM eliminate 4cyl 1/2 ton trucks....thats a joke. Bring back the Impala and Camaro.

If none of this happens, I will simply buy BMW's.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:55 PM   #25
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The downside of buying that manual Taco is that you are also stuck with the base engine that is considerably underpowered compared to the version you can get with the auto, but I'm assuming that's not a big deal to the manual die hards.
The base engine on the rear drive SR extended cab is 228 hp.

When you order the TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual double cab you get the 270 hp engine with 310 lb/ft tq.

The top of the line hybrid has 320 hp.

So in the TRD Off-Road with the manual you do get good power.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-08-2024, 05:12 PM   #26
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
US emissions regulations need to be rolled back 20 years. The environment was great after Y2K. Everything thats been implemented since then has only come at the expense of fuel mileage which ironically, has created more carbon waste.

I'd like to see GM eliminate 4cyl 1/2 ton trucks....thats a joke. Bring back the Impala and Camaro.

If none of this happens, I will simply buy BMW's.
Some of the worst "improvements" to enhance EPA rated mileage:
  • Timing belts instead of chains, expensive service every 50k miles
  • Turbos on small displacement engines with no real world improvement in mileage despite what happens on a test stand.
  • Over complicating automatic transmissions with more than 6 gears
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:38 PM   #27
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Some of the worst "improvements" to enhance EPA rated mileage:
  • Timing belts instead of chains, expensive service every 50k miles
  • Turbos on small displacement engines with no real world improvement in mileage despite what happens on a test stand.
  • Over complicating automatic transmissions with more than 6 gears
I think most modern production ICE engines have chain driven timing sets. Even Honda did away with all their belt drive interference motors by about 5 years ago.

Early run GM 3.6 V6s were plagued by timing chain stretching and the plastic tensioners giving out.

Even then, timing belt change intervals haven’t been 50k miles on anything since the 80s except for Ferrari which is their own thing. Recommended timing belt intervals on all mass-market manufacturers have been 90-120k since the 1990s.

As for turbos I do agree, although modern turbos are nothing like the horrid turbos of the 80s. They’re much more reliable, well lubricated and cooled, and can really give you some extra power with no fuel economy hit. Just by simply installing a larger intercooler than what comes from the factory on modern turbos you can get another 20 hp easy.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-08-2024, 06:54 PM   #28
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
LOL! This clown car company announced today that its killing off the malibu in favor of an electric!

Farewell GM! Hopefully that idiot Mary Barra retires before she smokes another company!
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote