Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #29
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
2100 Mile Update

My friend sent me an update on his thoughts on the car at 2100 miles...

In 2100 miles of mixed driving, I have averaged 20.8 as of this morning. I have the 18" and the ride is not bad, its not a Buick or a Caddie, but it 'feels' like a performance car. Almost as good handling as the Solstice, with very little sway even on rough roads at high speeds. But I have experienced road hum at all speeds, mine is an early car though. Perhaps it accelerated so smoothly that it felt less than rocket-like from a standstill. The engine shone in the middle speed ranges, though. Nail the throttle to pass and, yowzah. Throaty, old-days exhaust sound, too. (Italics portion is from an article.) This is very true with the V6, it accelerates very smoothly but even at hwy speeds it still has 'punch'. I feel the tracks and rough roads, but as above, no worse than an Impala and much better than anticipated.

Gripes:
Rear seat access is limited, and depending upon driver and front passenger seat arrangement, rear seat space is limited for adults and large children. The center of seat release is awkward to engage and not intuitive to find. Nice feature is the easy release seat belt strap on front seat to move the seat belt out of way for rear access.

One of my biggest dislikes is the steering wheel design with the sharp angle center spokes; very difficult to access the radio controls that are close to the center hub. But the cross section feels great to me; very comfortable. The telescoping feature is also a nice touch, allowing for comfortable positioning of the wheel as well as a safer positioning for the airbags.

The 6 speed manual takes a little getting used to in 2 areas: reverse is pushed to lthe eft and then up next to 1st,; easy to miss the gear for many drivers (although this has not been an issue for me). The issue I have had is going from 5th to 4th when I really wanted to go from 5th to 6th. Finally have the hang of it but it took a while.

Three other critiques I have:
1) sun visors - on the 1LT at least they do not extend, making them worthless for driving when the sun is low and on the drivers side.

2) lack of a grab handle on passenger side for access and egress. May be an age factor here, but everyone that sits in it seems to notice (even a 20-something has complained about it).

3) Passenger seat does not have seat height adjustment, this combined with the high belt line of the car makes for a low ride for the passenger. My wife can barely see over the dash and the long hood. On a side note though she LOVES the car.

These are minor issues and the car is still a great ride and boy does it get the looks!!!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #30
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
That's the kind of honest review I like to read. I'm glad to see some gripes, and I'm glad to see some discussion of the manual transmission in the V6 car.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #31
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
haha i dont know why i read these reviews.
they are all the same....
they all say its a super great amazing car...
and it makes me want it even more!!
and i have a longgg wait
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #32
BlackRaptor

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra, 07 G6 GT
Thats an awesome review.
really made me give the V6 another look. that is an awesome machine. really did set the V6 bar high.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year
If you use it as a every day driver the v6 should do the trick!!!

Thanks for the review