Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Trying to justify staying with the V6.

Last week I ordered the 2LT/RS V6...and I'm trying to justify that choice instead of marching over to the dealer and changing it to the 2SS/RS.

Performance:

When I first researched the car, I saw 300 HP. Plenty powerful at first thought, but further research showed the cars huge weight and 0-60 time. Even if they get the car down to 5.9 seconds, that's still going to get beaten by a lot of cars, especially some embarrassing defeats (Cobalt SS).

I could throw on some mods to get that speed close to the SS, but it still won't be able to match it....and the money for those mods would match or go over the price of the SS. Can I really be happy with a car that has good HP but not the speed?

Cost:

The V6 cost is much less not from just the purchase price, but the added insurance I'm going to be paying for the V8 (under 25 years old), and the extra gas prices with premium and mileage. Is the 2SS really worth all the added expense?

This car is also going to be my daily driver...at least for a couple years until I get a regular car to save money on work commutes and for bad weather. Is the V8 good for daily use?

Overall Effect:

If I'm paying this much for a car, I want it to impress...i think everyone here wants their new car to impress. Both models will do that just based on first looks, but how big of a deal will the V6 rumble be over a sexy V8 rumble?

Also, I know a lot of people on here have said "the V6 is nothing to scoff at." I'm sure some people would agree but when I tell people I got the V6, you can sense the disappointment. It's like when you get the V6, people think you're "settling"...I want to be proud of my car at all times and have that "wow factor". Am I going to get that with a V6 and be able to keep impressing people with it for years?

So anyways, thanks for listening to my rant. Whether you're a V6 or V8 fan, please voice your opinion on which way you think I should go.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
If you are having doubts about not getting a V8, you should get the SS. it would be better to spend the money and know you have what you wanted then getting the 6 and then wishing you had gotten a SS later.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
hayabusa1300
Account Suspended

Drives: jimmy 2000
i agree... there's no replacement for displacement !
hayabusa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I have own a V6 mustang for 8 Years... and I still wish I had a V8... I will let that happen to me again with the camaro!!
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Bullitt

Drives: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
If I'm paying this much for a car, I want it to impress...i think everyone here wants their new car to impress. .
Aren't you buying this car for your enjoyment? Who are you looking to impress?
Quote:
I'm sure some people would agree but when I tell people I got the V6, you can sense the disappointment. It's like when you get the V6, people think you're "settling"...
What the hell do you care what other people think?
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Aren't you buying this car for your enjoyment? Who are you looking to impress?
i do agree, do it for how you feel, If you feel like you are Settling with the v6 get the v8....it will be worth it, even if its only the personal satisfaction.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
You got to do it for you - And when you drive it off you want say hell yes not 'darn I should have had a V8" - My hang up was RS or not - I just couldn't see the value for what was added to the SS. Did anyone else feel the same?????
Old 10-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
First off, I would go with your first instinct. You opted for the V6 and made some very good points as to why you opted for the V6. Second you speak about impressing people. If one of your biggest reasons for getting the SS is to impress people and to be commended by that type of attention then you are going to cause your self more hard ships in the future. this car has got to be something that you want for your self not for the other person. I can tell by what you have written that you have some very strong doubts about getting the V8 simply due to cost. You want the car, and then who does not want the SS. But here is the thing you are worried about people rolling there eyes at you if you say you are driving the V6, OK. There is the other side of the spectrum that people do admire the fact that you will have a very sexy car that is fun to drive and you are also thinking on an economical leave. You can get the car fully loaded for the most part and save at least 5-8K for opting to not get the SS. So you have saved the extra money on not getting the SS and now you have even more money in your pocket for spending less on gas. Last thing is this. If your friends are real friends then they will not judge you on what your choice is. They will except it or they wont. People that are impressed with the power of a car like that is one thing but if all you are concerned about is impressing these people then they are not your true friends. I my self did get the 2SS/ RS, but I also own 2 houses worth $400k each and I am collecting rent on them as well. I also have around 300K in investments and I am an active duty Sgt in the army. Plus I am 30yrs old. I could have went out and bought a Z06 or Nissan GTR, but I went with the Camaro. I told you this to simply say that oi could have went out and bought any car to impress any one with but I went with what made me happy that I will also be living within my means. If people want to froun on you for driving the V6 then tell them to piss off.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
It adds to the overall enjoyment of a car if people like it. That's just common sense. Don't try to tell me if everyone though your car was a POS you wouldn't be a little upset.

In terms of importance, it's last on my list...performance and cost are one and two. But yes, looks do matter, and everyone likes to turn some heads.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you like blue you'd better stick with the V6.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
It adds to the overall enjoyment of a car if people like it. That's just common sense. Don't try to tell me if everyone though your car was a POS you wouldn't be a little upset.

In terms of importance, it's last on my list...performance and cost are one and two. But yes, looks do matter, and everyone likes to turn some heads.

you said it right there LOOKS mater. There is not much difference from the V6 to the V8 as far as appearance, just the punch and sound. If you are so concerned about sound and looks 2k after market can fix that. I will tell you the biggest 3 problem's people are having with the car and what to order is color choice, stripes or not getting stripes and getting the V6 or V8 because GM is not offering Blue for the V8. Those are justified bitches and gripes. You need to get the car for you and to hell with the rest of what the world thinks.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:

This is true. This is why MOST people (I'm not saying all if you look at some of the horrendous abominations people make of their cars) have at least moderate taste in their car's appearance. Second-party perspective takes a role in everything we do. If you never truly cared what other people think, you probably wouldn't be getting this car in the first place.

Second of all, dude, if you don't get the V8, your heart will sink every time you see someone who does have one. I'd rather let my wallet take a beating than my soul. Go for the V8, spend a few more months saving. It'll be worth it. I could get the V6 right now if I wanted but I am waiting another year to get the V8.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
I am going to get the V6. Because I can't afford the V8 and I don't need that much horsepower. And with the gas around $2.59 a gallon around here, I will be fine with the 300hp that I am getting out of the V6.
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
nickspohn

Drives: 2002 Camaro
If you are second guessing the V6, then get the V8. I'm in the same boat as you. If i'm going to go all out and spend money in the high 20's, i might as well just go a step up and get the V8.

I'm identical to you and I've done a lot of thinking about this. If i were to get the V6, i would CONSTANTLY wish i had a V8. I have a V6 now and hate the fact i drive a V6, and i get it from friends too. The point of having a nice car is to impress. When people say "who cares what other people think about you?". I would only listen to them if they were driving a car that barely ran. People that drive luxury or sports car care a lot about what other people think about the car.

So my answer is, either get the V8 or get nothing, and save until you can afford the V8.
nickspohn is offline   Reply With Quote