Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM begins repayment to US and Canadian Government

autoblog.com

I couldn't find the actual GM press release on their website, so here it is as reported by autoblog:

Good news, the check is in the mail! General Motors issued a (very) brief press release this afternoon stating that the automaker had delivered on its promise to issue its first reimbursement checks to the U.S. and Canadian governments by the end of the year. GM sent $1 billion to the feds and $192 million to the Canadian government, and GM reiterated in the statement that it would complete payments totaling $6.7 billion (to the U.S. government) by June 2010.

Beyond the $6.7 billion GM owes the federal government is a 60 percent ownership stake Uncle Sam has on the 101-year-old automaker. When the General releases an initial public offering the resulting stock sale will (supposedly) buy the government out. Experts feel the IPO could happen as early as the second half of 2010. Hit the jump to read over the General's succinct press release.

PRESS RELEASE:

I am pleased to announce that today, GM followed through on its commitment to begin loan repayments to the U.S. and Canadian and Ontario governments. We paid $1.0 billion to the U.S. Treasury and $192 million to Export Development Canada.
We are grateful for the support the governments have provided us. We look forward to continuing repayments through June 2010, at which time the balances will be paid in full, assuming no downturn in the economy or business.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
That's very good news. Is that all the money they owed to the Canadians?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
good news; one step closer to being 'back to normal' per se.

any word on Chrysler?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That's good work, GM. Keep it up.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
That's very good news. Is that all the money they owed to the Canadians?
No. The Canadian federal government gave 10% of what the US provided, due population ratio this works out to the same per capita contribution. However, since GM doesn't really do anything outside of Ontario, the province matched the federal 10%. Considering the fact that Ontario has only around 11 million residents, this was a very large per capita contribution. After Ottawa and Toronto get their share of this money, GM will still owe nearly $1B to Canadians, split evenly between Ontario and everyone (including Ontario, again)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
It would be good new's if they were making a profit. Since we all know their not is it really a good thing?
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
It would be good new's if they were making a profit. Since we all know their not is it really a good thing?
The auto industry seems to be on the rise again and this money is more or less unused from the loans. Since they figure they don't need it, they're giving it back. Plus, we don't know what their 4th quarter (ie right now) numbers are like. Yes, in Q3 they lost a billion, but I haven't heard any monthly statements since then.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The auto industry seems to be on the rise again and this money is more or less unused from the loans. Since they figure they don't need it, they're giving it back. Plus, we don't know what their 4th quarter (ie right now) numbers are like. Yes, in Q3 they lost a billion, but I haven't heard any monthly statements since then.

I had no idea they did'nt use all of the money. Then good for GM I hope the best for them, and even Chrysler.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote