Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Well, I dug a bit in the dictionaries and...
In Europe frontal white lights come in three "degrees of intensity" (weakest to strongest):
- running lights (two white on the front, two red on the back) -- and these are the ones we're talking about
- dipped headlights (BrE) | low beams (AmE) -- for driving at night in city / when other cars are around
- full beam/main beam headlights (BrE) | high beams (AmE) -- for driving at night outside the city when no-one's around

Disregard that, let's get back to talking about our upcoming V6 Camaros
Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #58
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I'd just like to say that even the 210 horsepower in my 86 camaro was enough to not only push me a little into my seat, but really push hard -- and that was starting in second gear, due to a bum transmission. Really, I'm looking for the v6 for my "for fun" driving because of the near-perfect balance I was reading about and that very flat torque curve (I loved my IROC because I could take twisties fast and the car pulled no matter where I was in the rpm range) -- where I live there are a lot of curvy country roads -- very fun to take, even at only 5 over the speed limit. And if the V6 sounds as good in the camaro as it did in the CTS video I found on youtube, I know its going to have a muscle car rumble (at least to me, if a bit higher than a v8) -- especially with some higher flowing mufflers. But I'm also a bit younger than many of the prospective buyers out there, and never really lived through the muscle car generation. To me, as long as it sounds loud, menacing, fairly low in pitch (at idle, not necessarily at full throttle), and doesn't have the farting (BWARP BWARP!) sound of a lot of the ricers that I see my classmates driving around campus in, it has a muscular sound.
- Xanthos

P.S. -- it also seems to me that, and pardon the semi-heretic nature of these comments, the V6 will be the muscular engine of future cars as the four-banger becomes more and more popular due to fuel standards and rising gas prices. I just hope that GM performance parts has a set of headers available at release or very soon afterwards. Torque is always good.
I think you definitely would enjoy a V8 a whole lot more... If it is handling that is important to you, make sure you are able to get the same suspension that is in the V8 installed on your order of the V6.. I do believe that alone will make the V8 a much better handling car than the V6 around corners.. However I do agree with you that 300HP with enough torque is plenty fast to get you flush back in the seat while accelerating.. With that said I am still looking forward to 400+HP in the V8..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #59
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Nope, he described white lights less intense than headlights. What we call "parking" lights, they call "city" lights. Depending on when they're supposed to be on, I'd guess he might have been describing what we call Daytime Running Lights.

makes sense, I was stuck on STANDING, WAITING did not pay attention to the white/weaker part. too early in a.m.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #60
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I'm definitely getting a fully loaded V8 at the time it is released, even if gas is $10.00 a gallon. I simply won't be driving it as much if that is the case, and you'll be sure to see a hybrid camaro for sale shortly afterwards if gas hits $10 a gallon if the camaro wants to stay alive. I for one see this as my last chance to buy a gas-guzzling and powerful V8 in my lifetime since I plan to keep this car for 10 years at least. And I'm quite sure V8's will be gone in 10 years (at least how we remember them) by the way the environmentalists seem to be having their way making law's. In the future a sports car must get at least 50mpg...etc.. goodbye V8... (hybrid V8?..lol)

For those of you considering a V6, I can fully understand if it is price alone that will influence your choice.. You'll probably save $500 a years on gas getting the V6, and pay a little less on car insurance as well.. Monthly car payments will be lower obviously as well.. Obviously if the car is rates at 300HP, it will not be slow by any means. However for those wanting more torque like me, the V8 is the only choice.
Good post, exactly how I feel. I never planned on buying a Camaro, I was going to hold out and buy a Corvette. However, I worry that in the future cars with such engines will be heavily taxed and become only affordable by the rich. Thats why I plan on going all out with a V8 Camaro Convertible. At least if my worst nightmares come true I will have this vehicle to enjoy. I plan on keeping this vehicles for decades. Anyway, I will get to enjoy a cool performance vehicle when I am young and can fully appreciate it.

Fuel will get expensive, but if you only drive it on the weekend as a pleasure vehicle it won't be that bad.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #61
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I think I'm going for the DI V6

Does anyone know of people modding this engine? Is it easy to?

That is the draw back for me of getting the V6 vs. the V8. A V8 is much easier to mod.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #62
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

What GM should do is come out with a Supercharger or Turbo Charger for this V6 engine. Have your regular V6, then the option to upgrade to a Forced Induction V6, and finally your V8's.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #63
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^I bet if there already isn't one out there, there will be! The only problem? You could have spent a couple grand more and gotten the V8. BUT....someone still might come out with one.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #64
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^I bet if there already isn't one out there, there will be! The only problem? You could have spent a couple grand more and gotten the V8. BUT....someone still might come out with one.
Oh yes, im sure they will make all the stuff mod able for the v6 or they could already have, isnt the 3.6L already in some vehicles??
Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm sure there are people on it...but the trick is aftermarket companies attempting to crack the DI computer for tuning. afaik, that hasn't been done, yet. Without that, any modifications are almost useless -- because the engine won't have a proper tune.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #66
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Good point, but isn't a forced induction V6 cheaper on fuel and insurance? As compared to a naturally-aspirated V8.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #67
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Turbocharging a 3.6 TI... that'd be sweet
How much hp do you think I'd have after that?

Not that I wouldn't be completely satisfied with stock engine having 290hp
Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #68
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Good point, but isn't a forced induction V6 cheaper on fuel and insurance? As compared to a naturally-aspirated V8.
I would have to say no on insurance w/out a second guess. If you supercharge your V6 and don't let your insurance know, you are going to be in for a GREAT suprise the day you take your Camaro into a low water crossing and drown out that engine.......water straight into the intake and also inside the supercharger. Supercharger could very well be gone along w/ the engine. Did you want it fixed? Well, you didn't inform us that you had put that part on there.....that $6K dollar addition. So, we aren't going to honor your claim.

Who cares what you insurance rates were then? You just lost 6K!

Now, will a supercharged V6 be better on gas than a V8? I don't know. It would all have to depend on displacement and really, how much fuel is running into that engine. If you add a supercharger, don't you usually have to add larger fuel injectors too?? ...which means more fuel being used?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #69
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I'm pretty sure that the insurance rate will whack you badly for adding forced induction. I know there is a penalty. Depending on your insurance company they may only charge you for whatever came stock; mine does - when I went to register my wife's 1985 Monte Carlo which had been converted to an SS, they asked for the VIN, told me it's a V6, I told them there's definitely a V8 under the hood, and they insisted on insuring it per the VIN.

As for fuel economy...if you can stay out of it, a turbocharged V6 will be more efficient than a NA V8 producing the same power. If you use a lot of boost you're going to use more fuel, not less.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #70
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I would have to say no on insurance w/out a second guess. If you supercharge your V6 and don't let your insurance know, you are going to be in for a GREAT suprise the day you take your Camaro into a low water crossing and drown out that engine.......water straight into the intake and also inside the supercharger. Supercharger could very well be gone along w/ the engine. Did you want it fixed? Well, you didn't inform us that you had put that part on there.....that $6K dollar addition. So, we aren't going to honor your claim.

Who cares what you insurance rates were then? You just lost 6K!

Now, will a supercharged V6 be better on gas than a V8? I don't know. It would all have to depend on displacement and really, how much fuel is running into that engine. If you add a supercharger, don't you usually have to add larger fuel injectors too?? ...which means more fuel being used?
I didn't mean aftermarket, I mean if GM came out with a Forced Induction V6 would the insurance be lower than a V8? If no, especially with little or no gains in fuel economy then its not necessary to offer a V6 with a Turbo or Super charger.