Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #71
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh. Ok. Well, in that case..lol I know we have a couple INS guys on the boards...maybe they can answer.

But, I agree. If the SC V6 is putting out the same power as the NA V8, and both are getting the same gas mileage, then what's the point? INS ... I'm guessing, would hvae to run the same.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #72
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
I didn't mean aftermarket, I mean if GM came out with a Forced Induction V6 would the insurance be lower than a V8? If no, especially with little or no gains in fuel economy then its not necessary to offer a V6 with a Turbo or Super charger.
Couldnt you compar prices between those cars with the Supercharged L67 Block and non supercharged? As far as rates go???? Or a cobalt S/C v the non S/C??
Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #73
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
I've really been thinking on this.

I'm currently 17 years old, I will be 18, or close to it when the camaro hits the streets... so insurance on a v8 would rape me three ways to sunday.

I currently drive a 2005 v6 mustang, youguys may or may not know this, but the aftermarket for the mustang v6 is HUGE, we've got 4+ different superchargers, 2+ turbos, all kinds of exhausts, and intakes to choose from, hell we even have a few companies that do heads and cams. Probably the largest aftermarket by far for a 'base model'. A forum acquaintance of mine built up his v6 to roughly 470ish rwp (Thats rear wheel power) and was running 10s at the track.... yes you read that right a TEN SECOND V6.

My hope is that the aftermarket for this engine takes off in a similar matter so that younger guys like myself who can't afford a v8, or the insurance on the v8, can still enjoy the experience of modding their cars and seeing the results at the track.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #74
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post

I'm currently 17 years old, I will be 18, or close to it when the camaro hits the streets... so insurance on a v8 would rape me three ways to sunday.

I currently drive a 2005 v6 mustang, youguys may or may not know this, but the aftermarket for the mustang v6 is HUGE, we've got 4+ different superchargers, 2+ turbos, all kinds of exhausts, and intakes to choose from, hell we even have a few companies that do heads and cams. Probably the largest aftermarket by far for a 'base model'. A forum acquaintance of mine built up his v6 to roughly 470ish rwp (Thats rear wheel power) and was running 10s at the track.... yes you read that right a TEN SECOND V6.

My hope is that the aftermarket for this engine takes off in a similar matter so that younger guys like myself who can't afford a v8, or the insurance on the v8, can still enjoy the experience of modding their cars and seeing the results at the track.
Good to hear that there are aftermarket companies out there that could help us out.

Also good to see that there are some other young whipper-snappers on here with me. (I'm 18) No offense to you old geezers!

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #75
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh. Ok. Well, in that case..lol I know we have a couple INS guys on the boards...maybe they can answer.

But, I agree. If the SC V6 is putting out the same power as the NA V8, and both are getting the same gas mileage, then what's the point? INS ... I'm guessing, would hvae to run the same.
Especially if it cost more and requires more maintenance. Also it's something else that can break and cost you down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInThe04Ranger View Post
Couldnt you compar prices between those cars with the Supercharged L67 Block and non supercharged? As far as rates go???? Or a cobalt S/C v the non S/C??
I probably could but I am going for a V8 and I was just curious if a engine with less cylinders and a super/turbo charger would cost you less. Anyway I wouldn't be too thrilled using a higher octane fuel, especially when the it cost nearly .50 cents more a gallon.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #76
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:

Just curious, if you do such major aftermarket enhancements and you need to get serviced would you have an issue? Like if you need engine maintenance (Tune up, Oil Change, etc)?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #77
Shadowsong

Quote:
Just curious, if you do such major aftermarket enhancements and you need to get serviced would you have an issue? Like if you need engine maintenance (Tune up, Oil Change, etc)?
Not at all, there is a guy that goes to the carwash/oil change place in my town about the same time I do with a Built 5.0 mustang heads/cams, supercharger etc. and he doesn't have any issues.

I'm sure you might get some flack if you got all the maintenance done at a dealership, but most people around here don't do that after their warranties are up anyway, hell some people never take it back to the dealership after they buy it... lol (my family is NOT included in this group..)
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #78
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Not at all, there is a guy that goes to the carwash/oil change place in my town about the same time I do with a Built 5.0 mustang heads/cams, supercharger etc. and he doesn't have any issues.

I'm sure you might get some flack if you got all the maintenance done at a dealership, but most people around here don't do that after their warranties are up anyway, hell some people never take it back to the dealership after they buy it... lol (my family is NOT included in this group..)
Makes sense, the dealership rips you off anyway. BTW, did you do the mods yourself or have someone else do it?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #79
Shadowsong

Perhaps you've misread my post >.> My car is pretty much stock aside from a CAI and exhaust, but I met a guy online who has built up his stang.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #80
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Perhaps you've misread my post >.> My car is pretty much stock aside from a CAI and exhaust, but I met a guy online who has built up his stang.
Yea I did, I thought you added some sort of supercharger. However, those mod's sound neat.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #81
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Could you tell me who supercharges the V6 'stang? That got me intrigued...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #82
Shadowsong

Paxton, procharger, vortech, a company called explorer express has come out with an eaton style blower* (the others are centrifugal)

Eaton style blowers are common for factory s/c setups, the terminators had them, the cobalt had one, so does the gt500.

Thats an eaton syle.(X-charger from explorer express)

Centrifugal style blower (Paxton, Vortech, Procharger)
Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #83
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Especially if it cost more and requires more maintenance. Also it's something else that can break and cost you down the road.

I probably could but I am going for a V8 and I was just curious if a engine with less cylinders and a super/turbo charger would cost you less. Anyway I wouldn't be too thrilled using a higher octane fuel, especially when the it cost nearly .50 cents more a gallon.
But what i'm saying is, you originally stated that you wondered if there was a insurance difference between a S/C or turbo then a base, to look at those cars would give you a definite yes/no answer but wouldn't tell you the price, I don't even think the insurance company could right now.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #84
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInThe04Ranger View Post
But what i'm saying is, you originally stated that you wondered if there was a insurance difference between a S/C or turbo then a base, to look at those cars would give you a definite yes/no answer but wouldn't tell you the price, I don't even think the insurance company could right now.
I figured that was the case, I just wanted to see what people's "educated guess" was.