Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #57
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
Ok- Got it.

With an AFR I assume he had been tuned.

Mike
Negative Ghostrider. No tune. This was the AFR reading on the comp screen as we were dyno'ing with the Vararam.

AND.....

Ya'll ready for this???

MY LIGHT TURNED BACK OFF! HA! TAKE THAT YA *******'er!

Long story short, I got the light back on the day before going to Houston. Got there, we did all the testing. Patrick turned it back off for me (resetting it) before I left. I was bummed it came back on. But, the light was off.

So, I get back to San Antonio and drive around for two days. Damn light comes back on. Crap. Well, I guess it's here to stay, right? Nope. It was on yesterday as I was driving around. And today when I start the car (it's warmer outside) light goes bye bye. I'm like...peering around the speedometer doing 40...(since you can't see the light when you are doing 40) and I slow down..."no light?".."seriously??? NO LIGHT???? HOLY HELL!!!"

yeah, I was jumping out of my seat. My light turned itself back off. I was told the light might come on in cold weather. Well, it did. And, now that it's warm again outside, it's off. I am by no means an expert on this....or saying it "was" because of the air temp. I am saying my light is off. That one thing right there just made my day!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Ok- Got my Kooks and a tune car runs sucking ftrong. Drove 200 miles yesterday running it pretty hard heading north on 287, couple a blast over 100 no light. Today I took it out on Private property and hammered the Sh!t out of it 137 MPH and sure enough I got the engine light.

I have a Diablo, can I get the code using it? and If so can I reset the light? I will contact the tuner in the morning jsut curious as to why I go the ligh today and not yesterday. Maybe I hurt the motor...

Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #59
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
you need to understand that the obd2 test's do not get completed every time you drive your car, there are conditions that need happen for the ecm to do each obd test.

here is the gm obd2 drive cycle:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #60
Mzodarg

Ok I read that, so can I get the code with a Diablo predator and reset the code or will me driving in the manner described in the step process you directed me to, eventually reset the light or is it that I drove like an idiot the cause. Little confused here (which is not hard to do)

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #61
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

^If you tuned your car, just configure the computer to "turn off" the O2 sensors. That should be available from your handheld or tuner. Also, I don't know why your light turned on in the first place. But, hook up the Diablo and it should tell you why. Most likely the O2 sensors.

It took a while for my car to learn. And, it eventually did....but relapsed for a few days. The light is back off now. It might eventually turn off..and if not, reset it or tune it out.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #62
Mzodarg

Tag- hooked up the diablo and that is exactly what it was. I will call my tuner this morning and see what he can do or tell me what to do. Again, I drove the thing over 200 miles pretty hard and no light. Got out to a buds place after work, 60 acres of private property and closed private road (my own private test track) Hammered the sh!t out of it. Hit 137MPH and came completely off the pedal and hit the Brembros. Soon as I came of it and hit the Brembos-hard, the light came on. Car was completely warmed up and I had driven 29 miles or so to get out to Private road.

Again thanks for your input and I will share what I learn today!

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #63
BenReilly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
General question hopefully you guys can tell me if I'm in the right ballpark or go read up somewhere else.

Car has LT headers, CAI, cat-back Borla exhaust w/ x-pipe, and was dyno-tuned

had all this done about 5-6 weeks ago, been running great, other than the harmonics from the exhaust every once in a while.

Earlier this week the car feels almost as if it is misfiring while idling, and the sound is pretty noticeable with the engine noise. otherwise been running fine.
Literally hit the 5000 mile mark today, and was leaving dinner and go to remote start and come up with nothing...start the car manually and check engine light is on, and car feels like it is really missing something, was able to drive home, and while parked and reading the manual the light in the cabin is fading in and out with the engine, like it wants to go out.

Should I call ONstar? take it to dealer? take it to the place I had the mods done?
any advice is appreciated, I'm worried about my baby
BenReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #64
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

^Personally, I wouldn't want to drive it at ALL. I wouldn't want to make the problem potentially worse. I'm not sure what the deal is, but your turner needs to hook up his program to your car and find out what the deal is.

Don't bother taking it to the dealer. Your warranty is gone and they won't touch it....unless you pay.

Before taking it to your tuner, pop the hood and double check all the connections to the CAI. Make sure the MAF is plugged in and there are no leaks...everything is locked down tight. An air leak can cause a bucking type feeling. It'll make the car feel like it's got a pretty big cam in it. But, you MUST hook up the laptop program to the car...and do it SOON. You could be damaging the engine by driving it around. A new $7,000 engine would be a worse case scenario should there be something major. And this is exactly why I get so concerned about tunes....not saying that your tuner jacked something up or anything. It's just that you never know... People DO get bad tuners.

Let us know how it goes. Take it to the tuner, hook it up, see what the deal is.

Go from there. But, check under that hood first!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #65
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly View Post
General question hopefully you guys can tell me if I'm in the right ballpark or go read up somewhere else.

Car has LT headers, CAI, cat-back Borla exhaust w/ x-pipe, and was dyno-tuned

had all this done about 5-6 weeks ago, been running great, other than the harmonics from the exhaust every once in a while.

Earlier this week the car feels almost as if it is misfiring while idling, and the sound is pretty noticeable with the engine noise. otherwise been running fine.
Literally hit the 5000 mile mark today, and was leaving dinner and go to remote start and come up with nothing...start the car manually and check engine light is on, and car feels like it is really missing something, was able to drive home, and while parked and reading the manual the light in the cabin is fading in and out with the engine, like it wants to go out.

Should I call ONstar? take it to dealer? take it to the place I had the mods done?
any advice is appreciated, I'm worried about my baby
Call Onstar, and see if they can give you the trouble code numbers, then go back to the shop that did your tune and have them do some retuning to stop the codes from coming back. Get the code numbers just in case it resets before you get to the shop. Don't let the shop just shut off the codes, make them correct the tune to keep the codes from happening. You don't want them to just shut things off, otherwise if you really do have a problem some day, you won't know it. That's how alot of tuners get rid of codes, they just shut them off, from setting a code instead of finding the root cause and spending the time to get the tune right.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #66
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Onstar will only be able to tell you the area that the code is coming from....like emissions, for example. They won't be able to give exact codes. I know...I tried a while back.

The only way to find out the real codes is to hook it up to your laptop...EFI Live, Diablo Sport, HP Tuners, etc etc... That will give you specific info.

I'd buy a handheld, hook it up, and see what's going on. That $70 isn't bad. You can also reset your light if it gets annoying....AND, you know what it is should the light come on!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #67
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Onstar will only be able to tell you the area that the code is coming from....like emissions, for example. They won't be able to give exact codes. I know...I tried a while back.

The only way to find out the real codes is to hook it up to your laptop...EFI Live, Diablo Sport, HP Tuners, etc etc... That will give you specific info.

I'd buy a handheld, hook it up, and see what's going on. That $70 isn't bad. You can also reset your light if it gets annoying....AND, you know what it is should the light come on!
That's strange, when I threw a code the onstar operator was able to tell me that the code was a P0121 code. At first she told me it was emissions related, but when I asked her for the specific number, she was able to give it to me.

The code reader I had was from the local Mac Tools man. It was part # EC-50. Small, lightweight, cheap, $69.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #68
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Then I need to talk to your OnStar person!

Apparently mine didn't know that could be done. Very cool.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #69
BenReilly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
thank you for the responses!!!

unfortunately wont be able to make it to the tuner til tomorrow at the earliest, but will definantly have them check it out
BenReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #70
Mzodarg

My issue was with the long term trim files. Tuner had never tuned with the CAI inc intake, I did some data runs yesterday and sent them to him, (I am 174 miler away) should get a new file back today.