Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Bomb proof wallpaper

http://vimeo.com/7558394

I don't know why, but that video struck me as cool. Coming to a hotel lobby nowhere near you (unless you're in the middle east).
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Getting that for my new house.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
I wonder if you could paint over it?
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
I remember they had a special on the news here about this paint that was super strong, they dropped a cinder block off the second story of a building and it shattered then the dropped the painted on and in had a couple small pieces come off, I wonder if that's related in any way.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
MrIcky

You can paint over it, you can sheetrock over it if you want. No idea on the paint.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
When I see a video link for bomb proof wallpaper, I expect to see an explosion. Ball proof wall paper perhaps?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
They need to quantify their claim it is 'bomb proof'.
Doesn't look like it'd hold up against any bombs I've
seen go off :(

Maybe 'small, explosion resistant' would be a better description?

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
MrIcky

I guess I should have posted the article to go with it. http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/prod...tection-system.

"X-Flex is a new kind of wallpaper: one that’s quite possibly stronger than the wall it’s on. Invented by Berry Plastics in partnership with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, this lifesaving adhesive is designed for use anyplace that’s prone to blasts and other lethal forces, like in war or natural-disaster zones, chemical plants or airports. To keep a shelter’s walls from collapsing in an explosion and to contain all the flying debris, you simply peel off the wallpaper’s sticky backing, apply the rollable sheets to the inside of brick or cinder-block walls, and reinforce it with fasteners at the edges. Covering an entire room can take less than an hour.

X-Flex bonds so tightly, it helps walls keep their shape after blast waves. Two layers are strong enough to stop a blunt object, like a flying 2x4, from knocking down drywall. During our tests, just a single layer kept a wrecking ball from smashing through a brick wall. The wallpaper’s strength and ductility is derived from a layer of Kevlar-like material sandwiched by sheets of elastic polymer wrap. The combination works so well that the Army is now considering wallpapering bases in Iraq and Afghanistan. Civilians could soon start remodeling too—Berry Plastics plans to develop a commercial version next year."
Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Sounds like it should be pretty tough stuff. Went to their website and they have a video explaining it and showing one of their explosive tests. Pretty cool.

http://xflexsystem.com/
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote