Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #141
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I think some of you are missing the point, and alot of Americans tend to miss the whole point completely. IF the Camaro and Corvette were to have the same HP numbers, the Corvette is still king. Why? You will NEVER get a Camaro to handle quite like a 'Vette. Aerodynamics, overall weight, and weight distribution are completely different between the two cars. You could put Corvette suspension components and brakes on a Camaro, remove the back seat, A/C, passenger seat, spare tire, and anything else you can think of to reduce weight, and while it will handle and accelerate much better than a stock Camaro, it still will not handle quite like a Corvette.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #142
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I think some of you are missing the point, and alot of Americans tend to miss the whole point completely. IF the Camaro and Corvette were to have the same HP numbers, the Corvette is still king. Why? You will NEVER get a Camaro to handle quite like a 'Vette. Aerodynamics, overall weight, and weight distribution are completely different between the two cars. You could put Corvette suspension components and brakes on a Camaro, remove the back seat, A/C, passenger seat, spare tire, and anything else you can think of to reduce weight, and while it will handle and accelerate much better than a stock Camaro, it still will not handle quite like a Corvette.
EXACTLY
Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #143
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have no problem with the Camaro getting the same HP and Tq numbers as a Corvette.

Besides, the 'Vette will always be improved in ways and with money not ever considered for the Camaro.

I just ask the rest of you not to get caught up in the numbers.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #144
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If I were working for Chevrolet, though, then I would want the Corvette to be undisputed. If they have the same numbers, then the Camaro and Corvette will be seen as alternatives to one another. I just believe that the Corvette should be put on a pedestal, thereby creating a gap between the Camaro and Corvette's numbers. Besides, the price differential says to me that some sort of separation must exist. If they are matching horsepower numbers, people won't aspire to get a Corvette when they can get a Camaro, a car priced lower by tradition, for significantly less expense. There needs to be a reason to get than Corvette, even if it's frustrating to us Camaro lovers who want that extra power. It's just part of the Chevy identity. The Corvette comes first, followed [closely] by the Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #145
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Whatever the engine, I hope it has DI. Imagine what kind of MPG they could squeeze out of this thing with having tuned the concept coupe's LS2 to achieve 30 mpg highway.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #146
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
well, baiscally chevy doesnt want the camaro to top the vette in power. and i dont doubt the camaro will have a bad ass motor in it but why not make one as equal as the vette. sales will skyrocket. maybe take some from the vette, maybe take some from somewhere else but it wont hurt. camaro sales will be rediculous.
Not quite. The only people in the market who care about maximum horsepower are the enthusiasts like us, and we're already buying. Everyone else couldn't care less whether it has 400 or 430 hp. To them that makes no difference. They'll still probably buy the V6 anyway because even 300 hp is more than they require anyway. Basically, GM has two markets. They have the enthusiast market, that will buy the V8 regardless of other factors. They only have to worry about the few enthusiasts who would otherwise go for the Mustang or Challenger, and the rest are the Chevy fans who will buy it just so long as it has a bowtie on it. So as long as it is just better enough than the other two, they'll max out sales. The V6 is a different story. They'll have to pull people from the Mustang and Challenger as well, not to mention every other affordable coupe on the market, and for those sales they can't count on the Chevy fans, because they're already accounted for. There are precious few people who are on the fence and will or won't buy depending on whether it tops the Vette in power or not. The Vette and Camaro are totally separate markets. The Vette is a sports car. The Camaro is a small sporty coupe. For the larger market, horsepower doesn't carry nearly the weight you think it does.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #147
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Not quite. The only people in the market who care about maximum horsepower are the enthusiasts like us, and we're already buying. Everyone else couldn't care less whether it has 400 or 430 hp. To them that makes no difference. They'll still probably buy the V6 anyway because even 300 hp is more than they require anyway. Basically, GM has two markets. They have the enthusiast market, that will buy the V8 regardless of other factors. They only have to worry about the few enthusiasts who would otherwise go for the Mustang or Challenger, and the rest are the Chevy fans who will buy it just so long as it has a bowtie on it. So as long as it is just better enough than the other two, they'll max out sales. The V6 is a different story. They'll have to pull people from the Mustang and Challenger as well, not to mention every other affordable coupe on the market, and for those sales they can't count on the Chevy fans, because they're already accounted for. There are precious few people who are on the fence and will or won't buy depending on whether it tops the Vette in power or not. The Vette and Camaro are totally separate markets. The Vette is a sports car. The Camaro is a small sporty coupe. For the larger market, horsepower doesn't carry nearly the weight you think it does.
agreed. the vette is made completely different. it was different materials and weighs alot less. so even if it was the same motor it would not be able to keep up with the vette as one might think. i will wait for my super awesome camaro
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #148
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
I was just hoping for a V8... :P
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #149
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Just look at Mustang sales, betting 80% are the V-6. After a couple of years it will be the same for the Camaro, especially since it will have 300hp. That is very respectable and it will be quick 0-60 somewhere in the 5 second range perhaps low 6 second if it's heavy. That is plenty quick for most people, plus it will be cheaper and more fuel efficent with cyl. deactivation.

The V-6 model will probably be on par with the current 350z, the v-8 will walk all over it and the rest.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #150
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
If the V6 is making 300hp, I see some of us bluffing over the V8 actually going for a V6 instead. As said, the power is there and so is the performance, the 5thgen will be the same as a V6 Stang honestly.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #151
TriPower

Drives: C6 / Hemi Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Says who? 'Cause in an interview with Ed Peper (General Manager of Chevy -j/k-)...he said the exact opposite.
Something to the effect of: "There is no concern with stepping on the Vette. They are two distinctly different cars. etc, etc."

EDIT: Here is it, http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/11/d...with-ed-peper/
Believe it or not, this quote from Peper is already completely out of date. In reality, GM is flooding the market with C6s and C6 Z06s and driving the prices way down. When this was written, the Z06 was selling for MSRP or higher, today you can get as many as you want for $8000+ off sticker. There are currently over 1400 sitting on dealer lots, around half of the total 08 production to date.

I don't think the Vette's engine options will effect the Camaro at all. In fact, I'd be willing to be that they'll share the same base V8 and only intake/exhaust difference will decide the final hp number, probably slightly in the Vette's favor. Performance won't be close at all, since the Camaro will be much heavier.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between keeping my 05 C6 and getting a 2010 V8 Camaro, or trading the C6 for a C6 Z06. Cost is similar for either option. Two cars sounds better than one, but paying MSRP or even higher for a Camaro doesn't sound too good, and a Z06 at $10,000 off (in a few months) has a nice ring to it! I guess it will come down to how good the Camaro looks when it finally arrives. The spy photos are a little plain, and the phony gills and air intake are a bummer. Hopefully, all that will change in the production car.
TriPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #152
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Let 'em Rip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well.........................

.........................................yeah!
Amen Scott.

I for one have been holding my blather for quite some time.

The reality is that GM is going to put a vehicle on the market that is highly competitive. Saying that, the icing on the cake will be exactly what many of us feel will be the end result. When seen on the street, the car will basicaly tell others "go ahead, make my day!"

Does it really make any difference whether it is an LS (?) or L (?) ? To me it really doesn't. Put the numbers in place as far as power and torque and let that be the final arbiter of the whole discussion.

That is the intrinsic value of the vehicle we all have hopes for!

So bring it on, and let's lay some smack on the pretenders!!!!!
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #153
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Amen Scott.

I for one have been holding my blather for quite some time.

The reality is that GM is going to put a vehicle on the market that is highly competitive. Saying that, the icing on the cake will be exactly what many of us feel will be the end result. When seen on the street, the car will basicaly tell others "go ahead, make my day!"

Does it really make any difference whether it is an LS (?) or L (?) ? To me it really doesn't. Put the numbers in place as far as power and torque and let that be the final arbiter of the whole discussion.

That is the intrinsic value of the vehicle we all have hopes for!

So bring it on, and let's lay some smack on the pretenders!!!!!
+1 for your first post! I hear ya!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #154
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
+1 for your first post! I hear ya!
Thanks! Being a Camaro nut, some of the postings on the various websites, tend to drive me up a wall.

Since the day I first saw the Concept in Detroit a couple of years ago, I was driven to hold my passion even higher than before. I may be an old dufus, but darn it, I love the way the new car is progressing.

I only wish that folks had some patience and quit banging on the preproduction prototypes out there. They need to understand that these are development mules (so to speak) where GM is working out the details for production.

Now about those headlights????? (Oh, wait a minute, those aren't the final production ones are they? (Tongue Sticking in my cheek here!)
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote