Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #43
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
detuned LS3 for the v-8.

that is all.
The LS3 is 6.2 not 6.0 and does not have AFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
i was referring to the quoted "2 v6's and 1 v8"
I am pretty sure that was before Scott told us to "forget everything you've heard about engines".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
:party0038:
Oh sweet mother of God. 400 hp V8, priced similar to the mustang GT but able to open up a can 'o whoopass on the SRT8's. I believe that is GM's way of saying they are sorry for the wait for the 5th Gen. To all those who can't figure out what this engine is, its a new engine (at least to us, possibly to everyone). There are no 6.0L engines from GM in North America that make 400+ hp. Calling it an L76 is as justified as calling it an LS2. THIS is why we were told to forget everything we've heard about engines.
Don't forget that Mopar's 5.7 Hemi (for the LX body R/Ts) is getting bumped up to ~390hp and that Ford is rumored to be rolling out a new V8 for the GT mid model year 09. I think that the Camaro will have the best power to weight ratio, but the HP War is definitely on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Doesn't 6.0 pretty much confirm the engine will be a L76, because isn't the LS2 going out of production. I wonder what they are going to do to push a 361hp engine >400hp
From what I’ve read the only thing holding the L76 back is the fact that the collapsible lifters cannot collapse as far as a stock LS2 cam lifts. So the four deact cylinders have smaller cam lobes. If GM found better deact lifters or found a way to use higher ratio rockers then the revised L76 should make more power than an LS2 (400hp) since it has better heads (and the intake to?).

I suggest we call this mystery motor the L76.5 until we learn more.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #44
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Yeah, the LS3 is out. The only thing I can think of is a Gen V, as others seem to agree.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #45
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
That statement doesn't make much sense. Why bump the L76 to 400+ when you already have the LS3? Unless you just really want the AFM in the base v8. Also they have already said that the 3.6 v6 will be the same one in the upcoming Traverse, but that engine doesn't make 300+, it makes 283hp.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Just so everyones "clear" it's not terribly difficult for GM to put AFM on an engine. So, just because it's got AFM, doesn't rule anything out.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #47
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
So does that mean that the V6 will not be produced as much as the V8? I don't think I get it. Some one help me out.

I just want to make sure I get a SS with 400+ horses.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #48
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
6.0 Liter LS3?

Anyways, no matter what engine gets used...Don't underestimate it due to displaacement, or whatnot. Wait for the numbers before you judge to harshly. I remember people doing that about the L76 at first in the G8. Some laughed.

Look what it did to the Charger. GM is on this.

Mark my words, no matter what engine gets popped in, We WON'T be disapointed. It'll have AFM, and 400 horses (at the very least in the way of features). Anybody really wanna complain about that?
+1

Not complaining just real curious.

EDIT: Everytime we get new information it creates more questions then it answers... I feel like I'm watching an episode of Lost..... What the???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
The LS3 is 6.2 not 6.0 and does not have AFM.

I am pretty sure that was before Scott told us to "forget everything you've heard about engines".

Don't forget that Mopar's 5.7 Hemi (for the LX body R/Ts) is getting bumped up to ~390hp and that Ford is rumored to be rolling out a new V8 for the GT mid model year 09. I think that the Camaro will have the best power to weight ratio, but the HP War is definitely on.

From what I’ve read the only thing holding the L76 back is the fact that the collapsible lifters cannot collapse as far as a stock LS2 cam lifts. So the four deact cylinders have smaller cam lobes. If GM found better deact lifters or found a way to use higher ratio rockers then the revised L76 should make more power than an LS2 (400hp) since it has better heads (and the intake to?).

I suggest we call this mystery motor the L76.5 until we learn more.

GREAT POST!

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 03-14-2008 at 07:45 PM.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #49
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
6.0 Liter LS3?

Anyways, no matter what engine gets used...Don't underestimate it due to displaacement, or whatnot. Wait for the numbers before you judge to harshly. I remember people doing that about the L76 at first in the G8. Some laughed.

Look what it did to the Charger. GM is on this.

Mark my words, no matter what engine gets popped in, We WON'T be disapointed. It'll have AFM, and 400 horses (at the very least in the way of features). Anybody really wanna complain about that?
vette ls3- 430 hp ...
camaro ls3- 400hp lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
LS3 doesn't have AFM and isn't 6.0L. So unless the information posted is total garbage, then it can't be a variant of the LS3. AFM can be added to an engine with a little bit of work, but the displacement issue doesn't have such an easy work around.
well, he did make a mistake on a 3.9 v-6
Quote:
Just spoke to Jim. And then we had to call GM. Peper misspoke. He said 3.9 but it is the same 3.6 liter as in the Traverse. Sorry for the confusion.
so whos to say he forgot a .2 on the engine size?
Quote:
Just so everyones "clear" it's not terribly difficult for GM to put AFM on an engine. So, just because it's got AFM, doesn't rule anything out.
danke
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #50
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I think he mis-spoke like he did about the V6 displacement. I think it is the LS3 with AFM added to it. Even if it's not, I am relieved to hear that it will have 400+ hp. That's what I really wanted.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #51
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
Hmmmmmmmm.

For some reason I think this hmmm means that this engine info is inaccurate...but why would he give inaccurate info? He MUST know what's going into it. Why do you guys do these little "hint" things to us :( lol
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #52
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
fastball, i can promise you i won't be paying above sticker. i think it's funny how they are banking on all of us buying immediately, when on a recent thread so many said they are waiting to see if something better comes!!!lol stick it to the price jackers, God bless the honest salesman...if one exist...lol j/k

I won't be paying more than $100 over sticker either! So finding a good dealer along with wanting to save a little more will cause me the delay of a couple of months once the Camaro comes out.

If they are thinking we're gonna bend over for them with price jacks, they better think again. I'm looking for that one nice dealer in the IL and I'll find him.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #53
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
The latest I've heard, the Mustang will only be gaing an extra 50 horses for the GT model. It'll take a Roush at the very least to compete with the Camaro. Even then, it'll likely have trouble keeping up. It's hard to see with smoke and dust in your eyes, you know.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #54
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
NO 6.2?????? WTF!

please tell me he isnt a reliable source or that he is just BS' us?
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
You are waaaay to caught up in displacement. The G8 with the 361 hp 6.0L L76 nips at the heels of the the 6.1L 425 hp Charger, let alone the R/T that its supposed to compete with. The Camaro will be lighter and sounds like it will be more powerful than the G8 GT. But, if you really need your base Camaro to have 6.2L of displacement rather than 6.0, get a stroker kit and do it yourself.

However, I'm sure that there will be some 6.2L engine for a GT500 fighting Camaro. But that car is not expected at release.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #56
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That statement doesn't make much sense. Why bump the L76 to 400+ when you already have the LS3? Unless you just really want the AFM in the base v8. Also they have already said that the 3.6 v6 will be the same one in the upcoming Traverse, but that engine doesn't make 300+, it makes 283hp.

Having the AFM option is a big deal these days. Especially with the impending doom and all. By which I mean the new MPG regulations on the horizon. It would be an excellent reason to bump the L76...but then again a next gen engine might just be a possibility...and what better way to introduce it?

Is the V6 engine in the Traverse Direct Injection? This one will surely be. I believe it will be very similar to the Cadillac V6 with DI.

And just to add this in for any V6 fans out there...

300+ STOCK V6 in a CAMARO! Whoooooooooooooooooot!!!!
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote