Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
Pulpdeth

Drives: ZL1
Will the ZL1 overheat?

As foolish as this may sound, I was on a mission to see if my ZL1 would overheat. We used a bone stock low mileage 2013 M6 vert on a road trip.
Passed thru Lone Pine on 395 South and took a left onto highway 190 towards Death Valley. The Temperature on the ground by Keeler was registering 109 F. Leaving Keeler there is a very long straight steep grade where we conducted our research. Starting coolant temperature was 196F according to the instrument display. Commited to a full throttle run up the hill in 6th gear and held our velocity to the top of the grade. Velocity was as high as this very nicely paved road would allow. No traffic present AT ALL. At the top of the grade the coolant temperature read 226F degrees. We dropped down into Panamint Valley and repeated the same research going up the Panamint Mountains. The ambient temp on valley floor read 115F degrees. At the end of the uphill run at extreme velocity, the digital engine temp readout registered 228F.

My impression is that the early ZL1's seem to have allot of reserves when it comes to rejecting engine heat.
Pulpdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
I have logged 350 miles on back twisting roads in western Wisconsin in 95 degree heat, my Z doesn’t flinch!
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #3
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I've had "air conditioning disabled " or something similar on a road course in NM in 105+ heat. Of course I pulled off and let it "cool" down...what little it can at those temps.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
It did fine with 100mph airflow through the coolers and radiator. That is one test, now try sitting in traffic on the Las Vegas strip on a hot day. The traffic can barely move you might have to wait through the same light for a few times. The heat coming off the pavement and other cars boosts the already hot outside temps, and you want the AC on because with windows down its feels like you just opened the oven door.
See how it does on those conditions for an hour. I think it will do ok, might have to turn off AC but you'll see much more heat stress that way.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't think I've ever seen mine go over 226 (when the fans kick on to bring it back down when at low speeds).

Live in TX, do plenty of "fun" driving on top of high-traffic low speed/no movement.... temps this year for 3+months straight hit 105 degrees or higher, etc..

Coolant temps aren't the problem for our cars the majority of the time - they stay cool quite well overall. It's IATs, and the poor cooling related to our "intercooler" and HX that eventually cause "problems" for the vast majority of people.
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote