Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
ride_002000

Drives: 2016 F150
Anyone do a spark plug insert?

So my threads are toast and blew out a spark plug. I bought this car not too long ago and was a surprise to me to have it just blow out while driving. So I'm looking at the OEMTools thread insert, not sure if a helicoil is better. It's the first spark plug on the passenger side so it's a little tight so not sure which is best for tight spaces without removing the entire head.
ride_002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I did a helicoil on a motorcycle years ago and then put about another 10k miles on it without trouble. Also did one on the oil drain plug too.

If it's already broke your not really out much as long as you dont do ahy damage while installing it.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #3
tumbleweed1002

Drives: chevy camaro ss
A (time sert) for spark plugs would be best as it is a full insert and a permanant repair.
tumbleweed1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Heli-Coil is a brand of thread repair, just like saying coke for any soda. I have used Heli-Coil many times over my career, and they work well. Just make sure to get the appropriate one for the application, as they come in different materials.
Since one blew out, I might consider at least checking the rest, if not do a preventative Heli-Coil install so they are all GTG.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed1002 View Post
A (time sert) for spark plugs would be best as it is a full insert and a permanant repair.
+1
Old 08-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’ll likely take mine to Chevy for plugs and let them screw it up! I presume they’d fix it.

Separate Q: Does time affect plug performance as much as miles? I have 7 year old plugs with only 31K miles.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #7
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Do A time sert much better for this application then a helicoil, Also do not heli coil for preventative maintenance as suggested above.

I would check all of the plugs or replace them if unknown age.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:46 PM   #8
ride_002000

Thanks for the feedback. All the other plugs feel good and tight. I ended up getting a Helicoil Save-a-thread insert. They are like time serts, they thread all the way in and have a knurled end to bite in.

I will give some advice specific to our cars. So with this insert you use the spark plug to seat it. Well our spark plugs are tapered and end up not letting the insert seat all the way and destroy the end of the insert. So I had to extract out the partial insert and find a spark plug that didn't have a tapered end in the correct threads and install with that plug then install the proper plug once seated, which once seated all the way the tapered plug helps push the knurled end tight for a good mechanical bond. I also used red locktight on the insert. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Also I did end up upgrading all the plugs to NGK Iridium TR6IX plugs and did new AC Delco wires while I was at it.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:45 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’ll likely take mine to Chevy for plugs and let them screw it up! I presume they’d fix it.

Separate Q: Does time affect plug performance as much as miles? I have 7 year old plugs with only 31K miles.
The old old plugs i'd notice corrosion. Iridium platinum gold dont corrode much. So no time doesn't affect them like use.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:47 PM   #10
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_002000 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. All the other plugs feel good and tight. I ended up getting a Helicoil Save-a-thread insert. They are like time serts, they thread all the way in and have a knurled end to bite in.

I will give some advice specific to our cars. So with this insert you use the spark plug to seat it. Well our spark plugs are tapered and end up not letting the insert seat all the way and destroy the end of the insert. So I had to extract out the partial insert and find a spark plug that didn't have a tapered end in the correct threads and install with that plug then install the proper plug once seated, which once seated all the way the tapered plug helps push the knurled end tight for a good mechanical bond. I also used red locktight on the insert. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Also I did end up upgrading all the plugs to NGK Iridium TR6IX plugs and did new AC Delco wires while I was at it.
I'll admit I can't quite understand this. It might make more sense to me if I try it. I thought the tapered threads were like pipe threads and a standard type bolt wouldn't subtitute. I think i'd need a you tube video to get this procedure.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:30 PM   #11
ride_002000

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I'll admit I can't quite understand this. It might make more sense to me if I try it. I thought the tapered threads were like pipe threads and a standard type bolt wouldn't subtitute. I think i'd need a you tube video to get this procedure.
I don't mean the entire threads are tapered.
If you look at the threads where it seats into the spark plug hole it's tapered like an acorn style lug nut and not flat. That taper makes a big problem for getting it to seat properly, basically that taper pushes into the threads and will crack the insert.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #12
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post

The service interval for the iridium spark plugs is 100k miles regardless of time. I have a set in my 07 Buick that have over 130k on them and still going strong.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #13
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
Like others have said, Time-sert's are the best way to go in my opinion. I've used both ,the time-sert seats at the top and spreads out at the bottom ,so it can't move either way. Plus it cuts a new seat for the spark plug !
It definitely is more expensive but it's worth it for piece of mind !
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote