Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #379
Jocoo26

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Yes, the phosphorus is scraped off and everything else is connected exactly as you just described. My inverter is grounded ok. My test light lights up when touching the female end of the inverter. I can't seem to get power from inverter to wire. And should I still be getting power from the inverter with the switch on OFF? Strange.
Jocoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #380
Jocoo26

I have come to the conclusion that it is the inverter that is bad. I connected it straight to the battery under the hood to test it. One end of the inverter to the battery (pos and neg) and then clipped my test light one of the wires on the other end and touched the other one. Nothing! The reason I was getting power before with an outside ground is because I was touching the wire going through the inverter that was connected to power. I stripped both wires on both sides of the inverter and then tested it that way. Clipping on one, and touching the other, I got power going into the inverter but not coming out. I called EL wire and was told they have NEVER had any complaints about a defective inverter but will send me out a new one. Now waiting for the new one.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #381
Jocoo26

For future reference, does anyone know which wire is pos and which is neg? One is black and the other black with a white stripe. The only thing I noticed is that when I gave power to the white stripe wire, I could hear a faint whistle coming from the inverter, and no sound when connected the other way. I wasnt sure if that sound was a good or a bad thing. Anyone?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #382
jennnchuck

Drives: 2010 yellow 2lt/rs
i connected the black wire with the white stripe to the center solid wire coming from the elwire, the all black wire from the inverter i connected to the 2 flimsy wires coming from the elwire. my inverter makes o noise at all, most other peoples have mentioned theres makes a small humming noise. i really hope this helps you
jennnchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #383
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Glad to see this thread is still useful

I had an issues during extreme heat we had this summer... It seems that if your dash is in direct sunlight / heat, the wire sometimes fails. After my failure, I used a sun shade in my car, and have not had a problem since ( of course, our heatwaves only last a few weeks ). I guess since you are WAAAY south, this might be a reoccurring issue for you.... The great thing is that this wire is dirt cheap, and easy to replace.... Make yourself a few spares ( just in case ).
Damn! Looks like I'm screwed with this cayman heat. I'm going to have to go with the lightpipe and LEDs on the end like how the door panels are. Does anybody know a site where I can get these items from?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #384
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ofer, 2SSRS has the light pipes. You can get the blue LED lights from GM.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #385
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ofer, 2SSRS has the light pipes. You can get the blue LED lights from GM.
And if you need the orange(red) LEDs for IOM interior, ofer can make you a nice harness since the gm ones are backordered....or you can use flat red LED from oznium to do it too if you don't want to drill or take off speedo. I think this is only an option for IOM though since there are no GM matched blue flat LEDs yet.
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #386
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
And if you need the orange(red) LEDs for IOM interior, ofer can make you a nice harness since the gm ones are backordered....or you can use flat red LED from oznium to do it too if you don't want to drill or take off speedo. I think this is only an option for IOM though since there are no GM matched blue flat LEDs yet.
I got some flat blue LEDs today in 5 mm but don't know if it will match till Friday, Got a camaro owner coming over for me to add the dach lighting and the home link lighting.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #387
Jocoo26

What is the home link lighting?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #388
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocoo26 View Post
For future reference, does anyone know which wire is pos and which is neg? One is black and the other black with a white stripe. The only thing I noticed is that when I gave power to the white stripe wire, I could hear a faint whistle coming from the inverter, and no sound when connected the other way. I wasnt sure if that sound was a good or a bad thing. Anyone?
For DC (battery) powered devices or AC to DC inverters;
Black with white stripe = Positive
Solid Black = Negative/Ground

For AC powered devices it's reversed.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #389
Jocoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnchuck View Post
i connected the black wire with the white stripe to the center solid wire coming from the elwire, the all black wire from the inverter i connected to the 2 flimsy wires coming from the elwire.
Here is a picture of what I have. On the left is the female end of the inverter. As you can see, the white stripe wire (positive wire) is on the top. When it plugs into a male connector, which has the white stripe wire on the bottom, the power and ground are switched. Now on the male connector, the white stripe wire is grounded while the black wire is now getting power. When connecting my EL wire to the other end of the male connector, am I connecting the center wire of the EL to the white stripe (now grounded) or the black (power)? I haven't seen anyone ask about this, but I want to be sure before I get my other inverter in case it was me who shorted the other one out in the first place.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #390
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocoo26 View Post
What is the home link lighting?
This is home link lighting.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #391
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
I got some flat blue LEDs today in 5 mm but don't know if it will match till Friday, Got a camaro owner coming over for me to add the dach lighting and the home link lighting.
Cool! I need these and some lightpipe if they match!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #392
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
This is home link lighting.
u got a link to how to do that?

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote