Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
2010 caddy ESV shuts down at 80mph and won't restart...

I've been a lurker here ever since ordering my gen5 in 2010, and have a lot of respect for the automotive knowledge here. So, I am hoping someone can toss some ideas my way about what happened to my ESV last night.

After trading in our 08 ESV for a conversion van a few years ago, we finally traded back into a 2010 ESV on Saturday! Wife happy, kids happy, all is good, until....

The drive home. At 11:30pm, on the interstate, some guy in front of me starts swerving all over the road, so I honk the horn and floor it to get in front of him. Just after I pass him I start to decelerate, and I see the RPMs are at zero...

So, luckily the median was wide enough to pull off with plenty of space. So I turn off the power, and try to restart... The engine grunts, and all things electric start acting bizarre... Onstar won't work, HVAC displays fade in and out... Nav screen comes on late... Etc. I stop turning key, think maybe its the alternator, but notice that I have full power to everything. Turn off everything and try again... Sme thing happens.

I try multiple times over the next 90 min while we are waiting for the tow truck.... Always the same thing.

So, I would love the get some opinions and advice on what could have caused this. I was thinking it was any thing from a loose grounding wire, to some type of controlmodule failure to onstar hacking my engine immobilizer

Any feedback would be appreciated!
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Did you check your connection at the battery? I have had battery connection issues in the past on other vehicles and would have the crazy electronics, car shutting down in the middle of driving, etc. Its a starting point but some times it's the simplest things that can cause malfunctions like this.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Maybe the truck though u were in a accident and cut the fuel pump off? This happened to me a while back when I had a ranger and made a swerve quickly and the truck just died. and never could restart it and had it towed to a dealer and they reset the fuel pump.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Thanks to both of you for the replies... I checked the battery cables that night, and they seemed ok, and the battery looked new.

Dealership called and said the tranny dropped a couple bearing... Doesn't make sense to me that the tranny caused the oddball electrical behavior when I tried to start it though. I'll have to get them to explain that one.
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
I've been a lurker here ever since ordering my gen5 in 2010, and have a lot of respect for the automotive knowledge here. So, I am hoping someone can toss some ideas my way about what happened to my ESV last night.

After trading in our 08 ESV for a conversion van a few years ago, we finally traded back into a 2010 ESV on Saturday! Wife happy, kids happy, all is good, until....

The drive home. At 11:30pm, on the interstate, some guy in front of me starts swerving all over the road, so I honk the horn and floor it to get in front of him. Just after I pass him I start to decelerate, and I see the RPMs are at zero...

So, luckily the median was wide enough to pull off with plenty of space. So I turn off the power, and try to restart... The engine grunts, and all things electric start acting bizarre... Onstar won't work, HVAC displays fade in and out... Nav screen comes on late... Etc. I stop turning key, think maybe its the alternator, but notice that I have full power to everything. Turn off everything and try again... Sme thing happens.

I try multiple times over the next 90 min while we are waiting for the tow truck.... Always the same thing.

So, I would love the get some opinions and advice on what could have caused this. I was thinking it was any thing from a loose grounding wire, to some type of controlmodule failure to onstar hacking my engine immobilizer

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hello 13lade,

Terribly sorry you and your family experienced this issue with your CTS losing power. I see you are in communication with your dealership. Please keep me updated on the progress and if there is anything I can assist you with throughout the process. I am available by private message here.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care