Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Lightbulb No drill front license plate mount interest thread

I got the OK for the forum big wigs to post this to see if there would be any interest in an item like this:

You may have seen it previously, but here is the prototype on my car:

Here is the "production" version, I just got it finished up, and will have it on the car on Friday:

With the production version on the car, you will not be able to see any of the mount like you can in the first pics showing the prototype. These are CNC waterjet cut 3/16 aluminum, and powder coated satin black standard, other colors may be available later on if there is enough interest. Because of the waterjet, and powder coating costs I have to make these in batches of 12 or more. I can't see putting out the cost to make a batch to have them sit in my office if no one wants them, hence the interest thread.

I am not allowed to divulge the pricing info, but they would be very affordable. I am also not allowed to turn this into a "sign up list" for those that would like to purchase, but if you can say if you would potentially buy one. This is for the bent plate style, which I feel really goes with the lines of the car. I may make a "flat plate" style later. Please feel free to comment on how it could be better, or any ideas.

I am not a forum vendor yet, but if there is interest, I will certainly become one. This is the first of a few products I plan to make for the Camaro.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
for starters, would it fit on BOTH a V8 and a V6? or are the screws in different locations on the two models.....and if so, are you going to make both versions?

and personally, I wouldn't want to have to bend my plate, as in most states that are painted, and if your plates numbers/letters are at a crease....not good. The flat plate holder would be a lot nicer.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
+1 Flat plate
Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Rob191288

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
+1 Flat plate

Rob191288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
This design is exactly what I would install. I'm a hater of the flat plate.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
I would be interested in the bent one and im sure my brother would too and its nice to have a good option.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
IBMCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM Camaro
As long as the bracket doesn't show like the prototype... I like it.
IBMCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
boomskeet

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT - Cyber Gray
Send a message via AIM to boomskeet
down for one also!!
boomskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
What does it attach to under the car? Is it just the plastic cover or is there some structure that it bolts through? I vote for the flat plate version.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
I second the question of weather or not it will work for V6 and V8. I too, vote for a flat plate version... though I wonder if the stock plate adapter would actually be able to be bolted on? might be a bit big, but would work, I think.
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Once you get the production version mounted on your car, can you tell me if there is any flex in the bracket? I'm looking for something a bit more stable than my current home made brackets, especially at freeway speeds. Also, can you post pictures to show the clearance between the bracket and the front fascia (top down view)?

As for bent vs flat, I vote for bent. I tried both setups with my brackets and have to say the bent version just flows better with the lines on the front of the car.

Can you PM me a ballpark price you are thinking of for this also? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Thanks for the insight guys, first off, I believe the holes are spaced differently on the v6 vs the v8 car, and I haven't been able to get my hands on a v6 locally to measure just yet, so for the moment this is a v8 car only application.

I have been talking to my local dealer where I bought the car, and they said they would be willing to push them in the parts dept., and for new sales. I could probably talk them into letting me take measurements on a v6 down there, but I don't think they would let me put it on the car.

I forgot to mention, there is a "weather resistant" extra soft closed cell foam on the mounting legs, and between them to prevent damage to the paint.

I could certainly make a flat plate option up, but keep in mind, the outer most edge of the plate would be sticking out from the body probably 2-3". I prefer the bent plate myself, it is about 1/2-3/4" away from the nose from any spot. I will put the production piece on the car Friday, and take some more pictures, top view, etc. I will take a video of showing how much it flexes.

The flex isn't bad imo, you really have to put pressure on it to get it to move. I've gone on road trips, and taken the prototype down the drag strip and had no issues that I could find. Structurally the production piece should be even better because its one piece, bent on a CNC press break, and welded, where the prototype was 3 pieces bolted together.

rolnslo: Unfortunately, I have also been asked by the mods not to discuss pricing or sell them via the PM system. However you may be able to find the price elsewhere on the internet if you look ↓↓↓
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Let me know once you've got one for the V6.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
I think it woild be good to see if the stock plate bracket would fit the bent version
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote