Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #43
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post

The 2010 Mustang GT is every bit as good as our previous favorite Mustang, the 2008 Bullitt, but with a much improved interior. Now the 2010 model is the best production Mustang ever, and barring any big price increase, will remain the best performance car bargain on the road.

The best performance car bargain on the road? With all do respect, are you serious? What is this guy from Autoblog smoking??
Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #44
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I think the new Mustang is boss. ... ... get it? Ahem, yeah, I think it's pretty cool and will make just competition for the 'Maro and Challenger... once you mod it some.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I think the new Mustang is boss. ... ... get it? Ahem, yeah, I think it's pretty cool and will make just competition for the 'Maro and Challenger... once you mod it some.
The only competition Ford is likely concerned with is overall sales and, if history is any indication, it is poised to win that battle.

That being said, I have no doubt the new Camaro will cut into that market share considerably (especially in its introduction year and likely the following year). However, I think we can all agree that only time will tell if the new Camaro is a long-term success or just a flash in the pan for GM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #46
Sleeper

Drives: It has 4 wheels
where are you guys going to do all this racing ?

you gonna see a Mustang and race around traffic and try to
get the driver to race you on a public street ?

this ain't American Graffiti

The SS is 1/2 second faster 0-60

BFD

Last edited by Sleeper; 12-29-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: beacuse
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #47
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
where are you guys going to do all this racing ?

you gonna see a Mustang and race around traffic and try to
get the driver to race you on a public street ?

this ain't American Graffiti

The SS is 1/2 second faster 0-60

this is getting stooopit
Half a second is quite a bit when your talking acceleration.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #48
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
First Drive: 2010 Ford Mustang GT
by Sam Abuelsamid on Dec 13th 2008 at 12:02AM for AutoBlog

We hear the constant nattering about the Mustang not having an independent rear suspension. Frankly, it's quite simple. It doesn't need it. Most of the people who race Mustangs do it on drag strips where a live axle is the best weapon. Elsewhere, Mustang FR500s with live axles have been winning consistently in the Grand Am series for the last several years.

The 2010 Mustang GT is every bit as good as our previous favorite Mustang, the 2008 Bullitt, but with a much improved interior. Now the 2010 model is the best production Mustang ever, and barring any big price increase, will remain the best performance car bargain on the road.
Uh, and what about the vast majority of car owners who don't drag race?
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #49
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
The best performance car bargain on the road? With all do respect, are you serious? What is this guy from Autoblog smoking??
With all due respect, if the Mustang isn't the best bang-for-the-buck car on the road, then it's certainly high on the list, IMO. When I bought my '05 Mustang GT for $26K, I honestly didn't think anything else was close at that price. *Maybe* a WRX, if you can get past the looks...

What car would you say is the best performance bargain?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #50
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Uh, and what about the vast majority of car owners who don't drag race?
Well, there is also another minority of Mustang owners who take their cars road racing at HPDE events. I've taken mine to Lime Rock and Loudon (New Hampshire Motor Speedway), and it easily keeps up with the IRS cars in its class, live axle and all.

Believe me, it's not like it constantly enters your mind when you're driving a Mustang that it doesn't have IRS.

On a bumpy curve it'll bounce around some, and if you're going fast enough the rear tires will leave the ground momentarily and the rear will hang out a bit. But if you ask me, that's fun!
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #51
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Well, there is also another minority of Mustang owners who take their cars road racing at HPDE events. I've taken mine to Lime Rock and Loudon (New Hampshire Motor Speedway), and it easily keeps up with the IRS cars in its class, live axle and all.

Believe me, it's not like it constantly enters your mind when you're driving a Mustang that it doesn't have IRS.

On a bumpy curve it'll bounce around some, and if you're going fast enough the rear tires will leave the ground momentarily and the rear will hang out a bit. But if you ask me, that's fun!
But, but...it's such an ancient suspension setup. How could Ford even consider putting a SRA in the modern Mustang? I mean, next thing you know, GM will be using leaf springs in the Corvette!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #52
bobscogin

Drives: 2016 Challenger R/T, 1965 Impala SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
But, but...it's such an ancient suspension setup. How could Ford even consider putting a SRA in the modern Mustang? I mean, next thing you know, GM will be using leaf springs in the Corvette!
Uhhh,-- they do.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #53
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
Uhhh,-- they do.

Bob
I think he was being facetious. I like what he did there.

I'm not Mustang fan, but there's no denying it has the bang-for-the-buck market on lockdown...for now.

The LS and LT will hopefully take that over next year though.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #54
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm not Mustang fan, but there's no denying it has the bang-for-the-buck market on lockdown...for now.
Definitely agree, it all goes back to Ford's marketing strategy of "a Mustang for every buyer." Whereas Ford concentrates on building the best quality for a certain amount, Chevy always seems to go all out in the performance category, which inevitably results in a more expensive car. As long as GM doesn't make the same mistake it did with the 4th Gen. Camaros/Firebirds then the pony rivalry should be a good one.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #55
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Who buys a car because it outsells the other one? Fact is Ford did a better job marketing and designing the mustang. That shows in the sales figures. The Camaro went away because of the slow sales. Now keep in mind it had more horsepower and outperformed the mustang but to the majority of buyers the mustang was a winner. Now the specs are the same, more horsepower and probably better performance. Im not counting the GT500, too expensive. But hopefully Chevy fired the designers or whoever was in charge of the old camaro and got some young cool guys in there to keep the platform fun and introducing new "packages" like Ford has done.(Mach 1, Bullitt, Cobra, special editions, and support the aftermarket!)
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #56
camaro_burns_all

Drives: 04 Pathfinder
the Mustangs do weigh less and it will make up the difference there.
camaro_burns_all is offline   Reply With Quote