Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
Exhaust Silencers

So my exhaust is too loud to pass inspection and someone mentioned to me that I should get silencers. Anyone ever use these and know if they actually work?

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
whhhhhaaaaaaattttt?!?!?!?! silencers??? damn, what kinda inspection is this?
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
David10cam

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
They are resonators
David10cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Did this person mean mufflers maybe? If your trying to pass the inspection in Germany without them, good luck. What I would have given to have had a Camaro when I was in Germany. I was at Friedburg, not to far from you. Make sure to take it to the Ring if you haven't yet.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase V View Post
So my exhaust is too loud to pass inspection and someone mentioned to me that I should get silencers. Anyone ever use these and know if they actually work?
Perhaps an appropriate gift would help the inspector overlook the noise issue
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Germany is real strict with vehicle inspections... I did two tours there and both times when I shipped my car, they caught something wrong, to include, under carriage dirt

I had a Honda Civic with the folgers can and all and it failed...luckly the exhaust I had you could order silencers for then and thats what I did.

I know you got the ATAK, .... maybe you might want to get some quieter mufflers... as for silencers that will fit that system, I wish I had an answer for ya.

Oh and have a good ol German bier for me and a brat w/ kraut
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Phase V
Summer

Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
no doubt snoop! I thought about getting corsa mufflers but my supplier fell through so I went to other alternatives. I think I might just try and find a muffler with a silencer in it that can just bolt onto the pipe.

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Check out these....you can just insert them into your tailpipes and remove them after your inspected. Not sure how quiet it needs to be, but they just may do the trick.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...duct_list&c=76
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Will @ Red Jacket could probably whip up a couple of surpressors.

I watch way too much TV.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
I would be interested in a set of silencers or some type of temporary sock.... just for startup at 5am... I have great neighbors, they say it doesn't bother them but they use it as a snooze to wake them up when I start now.... and I would like to get a CAM next spring. Startup is loud but settles down after a couple minutes.... some type of silencer just for the initial beast at start up would get my wallet open.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
I am thinking of going back to Germany for another rotation. I have An SLP loudmouth 1. Will there be an issue passing inspection on base?
2010 Camaro SS L99
2011 Camaro SS Ls3
2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee/ Reso Delete
Current ride:
2012 GT500/ 2.3 TVS, Afco Dual pass heat exchanger, Roush Extreme Exhaust: 606 rwhp/ 611 wtq
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Maybe the rules have changed since my last tour there... you should get by with the Loudmouth (thats with factory exhaust manifolds) ... not sure if you have headers and cats.

They measure the decibel on the exhaust and the Borla ATAK is pretty loud, I am pretty sure that the LM's are a tad quieter than the ATAK system.

@PhaseV... I'm glad to found a hook up, and I hope you get it fixed fast so you can hit the 'ring one day or even hockenhiem ....gawd I miss Germania LOL
Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
Phase V
Summer

they only bothered me b/c I got the one guy that hates americans and he saw the brand new piping so i was automatically failing :( the sound check only just made it illegal for paper purposes. and mine was 108db which i've seen to be louder than anyone elses exhuast so you should be fine. I've got a set of corsas coming and if they make it lower then you can always borrow the mufflers for your inspection

Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
As stated last time on this issue:

You will surely fail inspection (TÜV) with an ATAK
Most likely fail with any sort of Corsas
Even quite likely fail with an LMII, although some managed to pass...

There are always exceptions to the above, and sometimes everything is possible depending on the location of the TÜV, but chances are few.

So again - as suggested last time - get in touch with somebody on the German Camaro Forum and/or try to find a US-Car dealer/shop that could borrow you a set of stock mufflers just for the inspection.

Other than that: there are a couple of shops that could help you with your inspection (TÜV) issue almost regardless of what exhaust system you are running, but those guys are a couple of hours away from Wiesbaden... seeminlgy you didn't want this either...

I keep my fingers crossed that you eventually pass inspection/TÜV. But again, with an ATAK.... no way!
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote