Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Good to hear.

And I wonder where our tuner freind went.

I'm betting he knew where I was going with my comment.

Bottom line, some of these tuners act like they know everything, and as far as actually tuning the cars, maybe they do, but the guys who claim GM won't detect their tunes are Full Of *hit.

NONE of them will gaurantee it.

So deductive reasoning says, if you tune it, they can find out if they want to.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Ok, good news!
I got my car back and it was just a hose. They didn't charge me and didn't say anything about my mods, except for how much they loved what I did with the car. Sweet!
I don't know what the clunk was, but I am assuming that the mechanic that did the oil change left a tool or something on the engine when he changed the oil on Friday.

Anyhow, all's well that ends well :-)
Thanks for the input.
Rob
do what i did now. send the service manager and the owner of the place an attaboy for the fast and professional work that was done on your car...it doesn't hurt, and they won't forget ya!!!

Last edited by y2k king; 02-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.
y2k king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I am coming from the Diesel world to gas. When I someone didnt want the OBD port touched they had an OBD port cover that locked. This kept the dealer from flashing them. The new Dodge 6.7 Cummins turbo was constantly getting new flashes from chrysler so the owners who had tunes were getting flashed which caused the programs they ran to be toast. Is this an option for those who are worried about the tune?
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
I am coming from the Diesel world to gas. When I someone didnt want the OBD port touched they had an OBD port cover that locked. This kept the dealer from flashing them. The new Dodge 6.7 Cummins turbo was constantly getting new flashes from chrysler so the owners who had tunes were getting flashed which caused the programs they ran to be toast. Is this an option for those who are worried about the tune?
I guess tape a note on it that says DO NOT TOUCH......
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I guess tape a note on it that says DO NOT TOUCH......
Of course, you might as well hang a sign that says "void my powertrain" while you're at it. A locking OBD port cover or a note is just a red flag in my opinion.

I also found it interesting that the "tuner" never spoke up again...Just another lesson in their business at times.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I hope nobody from your dealership is a member here, lol
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I hope nobody from your dealership is a member here, lol
You'd be surpised the number of techs that own the same cars they work on and participate on forums like this one.

My favorite was a tech that happened to be at the local dragstrip (and filming) the night an F-body guy (4ht gen, so a few years ago) blew up his car on the strip...then tried to get it warrantied the following Monday while denying he ever raced the car...needless to say the video surfaced.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
You'd be surpised the number of techs that own the same cars they work on and participate on forums like this one.

My favorite was a tech that happened to be at the local dragstrip (and filming) the night an F-body guy (4ht gen, so a few years ago) blew up his car on the strip...then tried to get it warrantied the following Monday while denying he ever raced the car...needless to say the video surfaced.

LOL, I just talked to someone who is going to try and do the same thing. He threw a rod. So his mechanic told him they will take out the cam and put it all back to factory so he can try and claim it from GM.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
pnltnc1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What did Jannetty charge for the x3 tune?
pnltnc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
LOL, I just talked to someone who is going to try and do the same thing. He threw a rod. So his mechanic told him they will take out the cam and put it all back to factory so he can try and claim it from GM.
Seriously...and folks wonder why GM is being a stickler on warranty these days...

I wonder why he doesn't just go all "Magnusson-Moss" on their azz?!

Surely the cam supplier told him that MM would cover him...
Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
We had a guy with a 07 Z06 at my dealership.... blew his motor up. The guy put in a mail order tune when he first got the car. He told us he didn't like it and a week later he took it out. A few years later blew his motor... The corvette tech found the evidence and GM voided his warranty. Poor guy wrote a check for around 13-14k that week.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT URSS View Post
We had a guy with a 07 Z06 at my dealership.... blew his motor up. The guy put in a mail order tune when he first got the car. He told us he didn't like it and a week later he took it out. A few years later blew his motor... The corvette tech found the evidence and GM voided his warranty. Poor guy wrote a check for around 13-14k that week.
He told YOU he had in in for a week. lol I wonder how long he actually had it in.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #27
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT URSS View Post
I'm just glad to see these types of post "coming out of hiding" from folks other than myself. I've been amazed how many people do not believe that this actually happens.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
It sucks, I felt terrible for the guy. I mean that's a very expensive car and for them not to back up the motor... Not even help a bit..