Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #43
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I let my brother drive it once and his 17 year old son went along for the ride. He didn't come back for about an hour and I find out he let his son drive it too which I would not have approved of.

I waited on the driveway for them to return because I wanted to make sure he would park it far away from my van to avoid a ding. I was getting tired of waiting so I went in the back yard for a little while just as they returned.

To make things worse when they came back they parked the car close to my van on the driveway and the careless kid opened the door wide open and hit my van. I had orange paint on my van quarter panel and small paint chip on the camaro door. I was too pissed off to even mention it but more pissed off that he let the kid drive the car without asking me.

Now my brother always teases me that he is coming over just to drive the camaro but I already made it clear that no one is allowed to drive it besides the wife who is far more careful than I am. Last time she drove it was last August.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #44
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
it's like your bike. The fue who know enough about it would never ask.
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #45
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
I don't even have mine yet but my entire family wants to drive it.

I'll probably let my family and very close friends drive it as long as they know how to drive stick (getting the M6). Any others... no way in hell
Haven't had a car yet that I wouldn't let a family member or good friend drive. I still remember the call from my mom (of all people) that my Mecham car was on the side of the road. Mom has never admitted the speed she was pulling...but she ventilated the block in three places! Oh well, just an excuse to build it even better...and partially on her dime. We've got an unwritten rule in our family...you break it, you buy it. My friends understand the same thing before I hand over a key.

F-bodies, Corvettes, Typhoon, Trailblazer SS, Trucks...even our GT1 vette has been driven by family members and friends. Its just a car and can be fixed. It will have a ding or scratch at some point...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #46
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I haven't let anyone drive it except the Chevrolet mechanics who are changing the oil & doing service. I've also had my car detailed twice, and checked milage before doing it each time. The place is reputable, and didn't turn over the odometer so I trust them to only drive it into the bay and to the parking lot. Still, it's tough.

This summer, though, I've had an offer from one of my friends in our Camaro club to swap cars for one run during our bracket racing. He's got a deuce coupe that's pretty sweet, and running that once might be worth it. I haven't committed to it yet, but I'm 90% sure I will do it. He's well off, so if anything happens, he can cover it, lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #47
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
I don't even have mine yet but my entire family wants to drive it.

I'll probably let my family and very close friends drive it as long as they know how to drive stick (getting the M6). Any others... no way in hell
My neighbors drove my dads camaro. Also my uncle and aunt have driven it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #48
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Nope, sorry. Nobody drives my car, well, I take that back. My wife did drive it once to get my son's graduations pics with the Camaro. Bad things can happen when you let others drive your car and it can possible ruin relationships. I just don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
I don't let anyone drive my SS. I'll take them for a ride. If they want to drive one, they can go to the dealership.

GeorgeM

This is usually my policy. Only people other than myself that have driven my car are my dad (of course), 2 of my buddies (one let me drive his GTO, the other is a tech at the dealership for my oil change), and my cousin. Other than that, no one else. I usually tell others to go to the dealership for a test drive. I mean they let me test drive it before I bought it
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #49
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
The only other one that has driven the beast is my wife. She pays the insurance. Though she has only driven around 500 of the 15356 miles on it. I actually get annoyed when other people ask to drive it. It's rude to ask to drive another persons vehicle.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #50
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Wifey has driving "visitation" rights - sigh- My Dad wouldn't let me drive his Black on Black 2010 2SS last month, so I said F' it and bought my own - let the mod contest begin. I might bend for a good buddy, but he better not romp on it w/o my blessings or he gets road rashed.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #51
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
My Camaro has been driven by my dad (First Owner), Then after I bought it off of him, before the head an cam, my cousin Kyle and David drove it. Since the head and cam I only have 23 miles on it, I've barely driven it hahaha
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #52
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Since my dad has the OTHER keys he drives it too....other than him I have let a few close friends drive it, my uncle, and my cousin drive it. My mom doesn't like driving it, idk why?. I've had a few random girls ask me to drive it but I always manage to change the subject lol. I don't like sharing my car much, I'm too protective of it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #53
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Person I know: Are you going to let me drive your car?
Me: Can you drive stick?
Person I know: Yeah
Me: (gives person keys)

It's a 426HP car not that big of a deal,but anyone does something relatively stupid and they are never touching my keys again.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #54
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Person I know: Are you going to let me drive your car?
Me: Can you drive stick?
Person I know: Yeah
Me: (gives person keys)

It's a 426HP car not that big of a deal,but anyone does something relatively stupid and they are never touching my keys again.

I'm actually surprised how many people cannot drive a standard transmission. I've asked them the same thing and they go "Man, why didnt you get an automatic?" They just don't know if they have to ask... I'm not teaching anyone on my car how to drive a stick - that's for sure.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #55
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Only fiance and pops have driven my car.

I let pops take her for a spin day after i got her and went to parents house.

Fiance drives her only when i have a lil too much alcohol in my system. I wont drink n drive in her. Dont want this:

Last edited by Sneeks20; 03-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #56
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
I'm actually surprised how many people cannot drive a standard transmission. I've asked them the same thing and they go "Man, why didnt you get an automatic?" They just don't know if they have to ask... I'm not teaching anyone on my car how to drive a stick - that's for sure.

It usually deters anyone from wanting to drive it.