Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #29
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Hiding mods or even tunes is exactly the same as stealing. GM owes those that have modified nothing for warranty and I am glad they are finally putting the clamps on. As far as the OP situation the hose had nothing to do with any of his mods so there was no reason to even question it. With these computers there is no hiding anything anymore. And you have to tune for other significant mods to work so it all comes back to that.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
SSooner

Drives: '12 F250 Powerstroke
Guys I think a lot of it just really comes down to the service manager. Yes I'm sure if you blow up an Ls7 (as mentioned above), their hands might be tied... But when I had a C6, it started running rough once... Took it in, they saw I had headers so they asked if I had a tune. I said yes, so they assured me they wouldn't mess w/ the computer unless they had to. Turns out, one of the LT primaries had melted an O2 wire. They fixed it and even covered it under warranty. Yes, I know it wasn't a major component, but still, if you can get in good w/ the service mgr, it definitely doesn't hurt!
'05 Z51 C6 - Sold
'06 GTO - Traded
SSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSooner View Post
Guys I think a lot of it just really comes down to the service manager. Yes I'm sure if you blow up an Ls7 (as mentioned above), their hands might be tied... But when I had a C6, it started running rough once... Took it in, they saw I had headers so they asked if I had a tune. I said yes, so they assured me they wouldn't mess w/ the computer unless they had to. Turns out, one of the LT primaries had melted an O2 wire. They fixed it and even covered it under warranty. Yes, I know it wasn't a major component, but still, if you can get in good w/ the service mgr, it definitely doesn't hurt!
On a minor item like that, you could possibly be fine. Technically your issue wasn't covered, but your dealer "was in a good mood" or just wanted to keep a good customer...and GM doesn't have 02 sensors on restriction.

In the case of a major powertrain failure, the dealer is required to send a snapshot of the OS to GM for verification...this is when tuning bites you in the rear.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #32
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT URSS View Post
It sucks, I felt terrible for the guy. I mean that's a very expensive car and for them not to back up the motor... Not even help a bit..
But why should they help out? The owner of that car chose to put a tune in his ECM and "supposedly" took it out after a week... The risks are well known by anyone that has read what has been published. The only folks that will tell you that you're covered under warranty with a tune on a powertrain failure are the folks that are selling the tunes...and many of them have backed off that statement.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
I agree with you.. On some level.. Yes the guy knew what he was doing and shrugged the risk off. My feeling Is the guy has bought a few cars from here and come on he bought a brand new z06 new from this store. I understand Gm not paying for the whole repair but goodwill something for a loyal customer . He didn't hide the fact there was a tune. He could Of lied about hOw long it was in there. Talking to the vette
Tech he told me that it probably wasn't the tune that made the engine go boom but it is what it is now.