Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #29
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Thye only problem is that GM will use any excuse to get out of a warranty claim. And do you have the money to out-sue them? The government certainly will not come to your aide.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #30
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Hennessey View Post
The dealer cannot simply void your warranty because you have a modification done to the vehicle. As others have mentioned, if you take your vehicle in for a concern you have with your vehicle and would like to be covered under warranty, the dealer must prove that the intake has caused that concern before they can even attempt to void your warranty on those items.
No disrespect, but this is not true. And I’m not pointing out your CAI, this goes for any aftermarket part.

Should the dealer/GM fix a faulty part under warranty unrelated to a CAI..?..Yes. Can they tell you your warranty is void since you added a CAI..?...Yes. It’s becoming very clear that these warranty claims are all about money. If the warranty item is small, I believe the dealer/GM will fix the problem. If the warranty claim is big, I believe you will have a fight on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Sorry...but that's not true. My warranty was voided without anybody even attempting to prove anything.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #31
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Dude themossman did a cam swap and a ton of other mods. Thats why his didn't get honored. Even though the oil pump failure was in a service bulletin.

I was told by my service manager if you change the ECM settings or dig into the engine your warrenty will not be honored. THE WHOLE POWER TRAIN.

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #32
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
No disrespect, but this is not true. And I’m not pointing out your CAI, this goes for any aftermarket part.

Should the dealer/GM fix a faulty part under warranty unrelated to a CAI..?..Yes. Can they tell you your warranty is void since you added a CAI..?...Yes. It’s becoming very clear that these warranty claims are all about money. If the warranty item is small, I believe the dealer/GM will fix the problem. If the warranty claim is big, I believe you will have a fight on your hands.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

M
yeah mossman had a just about a total engine rebuild and is wondering why GM wont cover his car or even look at it. With that said warranties are about money. But I would bet GM probably actually had some sort of insurance policies out on things like this, so how much does it actually cost them
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #33
Mark Myles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsinger View Post
Dude themossman did a cam swap and a ton of other mods. Thats why his didn't get honored. Even though the oil pump failure was in a service bulletin.

I was told by my service manager if you change the ECM settings or dig into the engine your warrenty will not be honored. THE WHOLE POWER TRAIN.
So your telling me that GM determined that the cause of the oil pump failure was the direct result of the mods Mossman did to his vehicle..? Interesting, because it's my understanding that the CAUSE of the failure has not yet been determined...just sayin.

M
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Sorry...but that's not true. My warranty was voided without anybody even attempting to prove anything.
If you are going to modify your vehicle, you need to be a smart consumer and know the facts about what the dealer can or cannot do. Start with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and see where that gets you.

I have personally gone through this battle with a Ford Dealership on one of my vehicles and I can tell you that if you are right, it will not cost you a dime, just time to get the issue addressed properly.
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #35
Mark Myles

Quote:
If you are going to modify your vehicle, you need to be a smart consumer and know the facts about what the dealer can or cannot do. Start with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and see where that gets you.

I have personally gone through this battle with a Ford Dealership on one of my vehicles and I can tell you that if you are right, it will not cost you a dime, just time to get the issue addressed properly.
Correct! Glad you held their feet to the fire. Most people give up.

M
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
So your telling me that GM determined that the cause of the oil pump failure was the direct result of the mods Mossman did to his vehicle..? Interesting, because it's my understanding that the CAUSE of the failure has not yet been determined...just sayin.

M
No what I am saying there wouldn't have been issue with them fixing the oil pump if he wouldn't have dug into the block with the cam swap, ect..

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #37
Mark Myles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsinger View Post
No what I am saying there wouldn't have been issue with them fixing the oil pump if he wouldn't have dug into the block with the cam swap, ect..
I thought this was a good read. **Sorry, Linky no worky**

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm

Try this:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm

M
Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #38
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:

I agree with your statements above 100%. However, there its missing perspective. Having a well known and branded aftermarket company go after a claim is quite a bit different than the average Joe seeking out a claim.

My point here is that there is no current 'black and white' statement on what will or will not void a warranty.

And to the person who said I had a complete engine rebuild...LOL...I WISH!
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:

So, here is an honest question for you at Hennessey:

If a customer purchases your CAI and then has a dealer deny warranty work based on your CAI being installed, how much time and effort will Hennessey put forth in helping their customer defend a baseless M-M claim? Most normal folks don't have the time, effort and upfront cash to take General Motors to court...

M-M isn't worth the paper it is written on unless you've got the manufacturer of aftermarket items to back up their products in the court cases with their pocketbooks and assistance. Saying that defending a M-M case won't cost you a dime is not realistic for most folks. I'm sure Hennessey has some good lawyers on the payroll and as such it probably didn't cost you anything to defend a case against a dealer....
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I just thought I should pipe in and try to add something to this conversation. This is the official GM statement on modifications.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.

Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts and/or calibrations. The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration.

I hope this helps to answer any and all of the question you may be having as to where GM stands in regards to modifications. I also would like to add that many times the coverage of vehicles with modifications varies from dealership to dealership. Some cover the vehicles and some do not.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #41
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I just thought I should pipe in and try to add something to this conversation. This is the official GM statement on modifications.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.

Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts and/or calibrations. The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration.

I hope this helps to answer any and all of the question you may be having as to where GM stands in regards to modifications. I also would like to add that many times the coverage of vehicles with modifications varies from dealership to dealership. Some cover the vehicles and some do not.

EXCELLENT POST! Thank you very much.
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

And that covers that. Thanks Jeff!!