Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #15
Ajax2112

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
I think overall if I were to sell it I would only get 27-28 tops and it has never seen rain super clean.
It would cost more to buy a used automatic that someone beat the balls off.
I have a local shop by me and the guy who owns it is a gen 5 Camaro owner.
I wanted to get an idea what it would cost to do the swap using a used transmission with low miles on it.
Check out JTM Motorsports out on the Island. They are a great bunch of guys and really know what they are doing. I know they can handle the swap for you.
Ajax2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
You can buy a 2019 Camaro SS with a 10 speed auto for 35700.00 . So if you sell yours you will be way ahead with a warrantee and a brand new car with the new 10 speed trans . In the end it will only cost you about 5 or 6 grand more and will be worth twice as much as you molested trans swap car.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #17
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
I have a 2012 2SS RS Auto I might be willing to trade. Black with flat black stripes and black interior.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
I think overall if I were to sell it I would only get 27-28 tops and it has never seen rain super clean.
It would cost more to buy a used automatic that someone beat the balls off.
I have a local shop by me and the guy who owns it is a gen 5 Camaro owner.
I wanted to get an idea what it would cost to do the swap using a used transmission with low miles on it.
Looking at values your probably only going get around 20k for your car if that helps your decision and the couple people that I know that have done the swap cost around 7 to 8k
Old 12-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
I have a 2012 2SS RS Auto I might be willing to trade. Black with flat black stripes and black interior.
Looking at your car and miles (didn't realize the mileage discrepancy), I've got over 60K miles, is garage kept, and only driven as a toy on weekends...I would handle swapping your hood, trunk, wheels/tires, interior, etc. so you would have as close to your exact car as possible, but with an auto. My car is 100% stock and was bought as a CPO through Beck & Masten in Houston from another forum member. The only two options my car doesn't have are the 45th anniversary package and MyLink. Has a new battery and is kept on a battery tender as well.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
Luvdamud

Drives: 2010 SS
Sell it and buy the auto. I did mine and have about 6500 in a 4l80e swap. Now it has a very limited market if I want to sell it. If you buy a new auto, you can procharge it, run it for 50k miles, remove to procharger and trade it in on a shiney new 2023 Camaro and do it all over again. Try trading in your auto swapped Camaro and see what they offer you. There have been some spectacular deals in the for sale threads here for cars already built. As far as the "snot" being beaten out of them, I think that's rare for most of the built cars on here. Don't get me wrong, everyone runs there car hard at times but the demographic of this board leads me to believe that most do take care of their cars more than your average non-enthusiast.
Luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdamud View Post
Sell it and buy the auto. I did mine and have about 6500 in a 4l80e swap. Now it has a very limited market if I want to sell it. If you buy a new auto, you can procharge it, run it for 50k miles, remove to procharger and trade it in on a shiney new 2023 Camaro and do it all over again. Try trading in your auto swapped Camaro and see what they offer you. There have been some spectacular deals in the for sale threads here for cars already built. As far as the "snot" being beaten out of them, I think that's rare for most of the built cars on here. Don't get me wrong, everyone runs there car hard at times but the demographic of this board leads me to believe that most do take care of their cars more than your average non-enthusiast.

I swapped the LS3 out for a LSX376 B-8 with 651 miles on the odometer. I went through 2 twin disc clutches in the next 4 years, so I swapped the TR606 for a 4L80e. The only thing still original on my car is the body and front cradle, swapped the rear for a ZL1.

BUT, I have all the original parts and can swap it back to stock in a couple days labor and a few small parts here and there.

I beat the snot out of it, but have a back up plan. Imagine a 2013 SS with whatever miles on the odometer with basically new drivetrain.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #22
Luvdamud

Drives: 2010 SS
VB, if you can do all the labor yourself then I would say go for it. The OP is going to pay a shop to do the work. Not nearly as economical. Not to mention swapping it back. I left my clutch pedal under the carpet just in case I ever went back. I know I never will though. After driving the 4l80, I was in love with the car all over again.
Luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdamud View Post
VB, if you can do all the labor yourself then I would say go for it. The OP is going to pay a shop to do the work. Not nearly as economical. Not to mention swapping it back. I left my clutch pedal under the carpet just in case I ever went back. I know I never will though. After driving the 4l80, I was in love with the car all over again.

I can have my TR6060 back in in about 4 hours. Swapping the engine will take a bit longer.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #24
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Have a link or any info on swapping in a 6l80/90? I'm able to find plenty on installing a 4l80, th400, or removing the 6l, but not on installing one.

Thanks!

In case this got lost on the first page, anyone?
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #25
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
In case this got lost on the first page, anyone?
Sorry for the hijack.

Your best bet is to talk with the shop that will be doing it.