Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2024, 06:17 PM   #1
RedsRevenge48
Never satisfied :(

Drives: 73 Nova (project))
5th Gen Camaro SS... I wants one

Im realizing that the 5th gen Camaro SS manual may be the car Ive been looking for. I might consider an A6, but Id much prefere the LS3 as a starting point than the L99. No hate, just my preference. Sides, Id rather toss a 4L80 behind that LS3 than be stuck with a 6L80 if I ever wanted to auto swap it.

Ive been all over the damn place the last 3 years. Ive had 2 4th Gen rolling chassis, 1 4th gen SS that I got running but sold back to the guy I bought it from. Had a Fox roller, and currently Ive got a 73 Nova project that needs... everything (clean title though!!!). The last turn key fun car I owned that was street ready was my former 2011 GT500. Sold it because frankly, I was over the engine and Ford ECU. Sick of the engine because EVERYTHING was expensive. Wasnt scared of the DOHC being a former Lexus technician. But it was not even close to being as easy as an LS. And being married to Lund Racing for tuning and their "Its our way and parts lists or find someone else to tune for you" methodology got old. Shit, I should have just LS swapped the damn thing and gotten it over with lol.

As these cars are approaching 14 years old now (2010) how have these been holding up? Any major issues pop up in the SS? Interior electronics that are now vaporware? Wont be my daily thankfully but I do eventually want to go down the rabbit hole of cheap boost (EBAY GT45!!!!!!!) and turn her into a roll racer. Nova will be built for dig racing.
RedsRevenge48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:11 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
If you get a manual, you won't have to worry about the afm system unlike the automatic where it shuts of four of the cylinders to save gas (supposably). But as others have stated the afm system doesn't really have any problems as many have thought. If you're going to change out your cam then you can get rid of the afm all together and tune it out. As for the automatic I had a transmission builder tell me the only real weak point for the 6l80 is the torque converter and my last transmission had 170k on it with a 3600 stall from circle d and it was still going strong when I got rid of it. The only real problem I hear of occasionally in the manual is the oil pump not being adequate enough at high temperatures at idle but most or fine. Other than that the 6.2 is quite reliable.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:30 PM   #3
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Just a few thoughts and my opinion on the automatics. I've had 2 5th Gen SS’s, a Yukon Denali, and a couple of company trucks with 6l80’s and 90’s. I’ve also got a ‘98 K2500 with a 4l80. I would take the 6 speeds over the 4l80 any and every day of the rest of my life. The gear spacing in the 4l80’s suck miserably in comparison to the 6L transmissions. That said collectively I’ve got close to 1/2 million miles on the 6L’s collectively and have not had one single issue, ever. In the Camaro’s, trouble doesn’t seem to set in until the 600-650 whp mark with sticky tires.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:05 PM   #4
RedsRevenge48

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
If you get a manual, you won't have to worry about the afm system unlike the automatic where it shuts of four of the cylinders to save gas (supposably). But as others have stated the afm system doesn't really have any problems as many have thought. If you're going to change out your cam then you can get rid of the afm all together and tune it out. As for the automatic I had a transmission builder tell me the only real weak point for the 6l80 is the torque converter and my last transmission had 170k on it with a 3600 stall from circle d and it was still going strong when I got rid of it. The only real problem I hear of occasionally in the manual is the oil pump not being adequate enough at high temperatures at idle but most or fine. Other than that the 6.2 is quite reliable.
Solid information, thanks! I suppose I will consider both but I still think Ill lean toward the manual.

I just got done reading the highlights of your build thread and man what a ton of ups and downs! A similar thing happened to me and my old GT500. GT-R blew up its driveline, locked up all 4 tires and smashed into my front end. Long story short, I had to pay $5k out of pocket to get it fixed. No insurance because we were racing on a track. I did the vast majority of the mechanical work, and it still cost $5k in parts and bodywork. I was so pissed. Got her back on the road and immediately went back racing. I knew if I didnt, Id never get back on that horse.

The 5th Gen I buy will probably have been rode hard, put up wet and probably need a refresh. Thats ok, makes it easier to go #racecar when the wife asks wtf Im doing to it!
Old 05-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #5
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I drag raced and hard drove my stock 6L80 at 780rwhp with no failures. The new build required a built trans.

Mine started life as a L99 before the old build. AFM sucks and WILL fail, it’s just when. If you’re building it, it’s easy to replace the valve train and no longer worry about it. I bought a 24 GMC 2500 to tow over a 1500 to avoid AFM/DFM altogether.

Car is a tank. It takes a beating very well and many people on here have been in sizable crashes and the car was less damaged than you thought, but it’s heavy. Still WAY better looking than a 6th gen.

No issues I’ve had except blend door. It’ll fail too. Just no idea when it does until the a/c just blows hot.

It’s a great foundation to go crazy and with some simple mods can be a great daily.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:45 PM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
living in arizona you should know that if the evaporator or blend door goes out its about 3k to fix.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #7
RedsRevenge48

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
living in arizona you should know that if the evaporator or blend door goes out its about 3k to fix.
While Im not at all thrilled about pulling dashes, I was a Lexus Master tech for over 10 years, 14 total in the auto repair field before I went to the public sector. I had the (not) pleasure of doing the Lexus SSC's for 07-11 IS, GS, RX and LS dash replacements. Ill be mad sad and crying, but I can get the dash pulled on my own if it ever comes to it.

But thank you for the heads up. Its good to know. Must be a pony car thing, the Evaporator on my GT500 also popped. Carmax covered that one haha.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:42 PM   #8
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
how about a nice auto zl1 for $44k
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 05:41 PM   #9
RedsRevenge48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
how about a nice auto zl1 for $44k
Gawd, I wish. Not in the budget when the time comes.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:20 AM   #10
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsRevenge48 View Post
Im realizing that the 5th gen Camaro SS manual may be the car Ive been looking for. I might consider an A6, but Id much prefere the LS3 as a starting point than the L99. No hate, just my preference. Sides, Id rather toss a 4L80 behind that LS3 than be stuck with a 6L80 if I ever wanted to auto swap it.

Ive been all over the damn place the last 3 years. Ive had 2 4th Gen rolling chassis, 1 4th gen SS that I got running but sold back to the guy I bought it from. Had a Fox roller, and currently Ive got a 73 Nova project that needs... everything (clean title though!!!). The last turn key fun car I owned that was street ready was my former 2011 GT500. Sold it because frankly, I was over the engine and Ford ECU. Sick of the engine because EVERYTHING was expensive. Wasnt scared of the DOHC being a former Lexus technician. But it was not even close to being as easy as an LS. And being married to Lund Racing for tuning and their "Its our way and parts lists or find someone else to tune for you" methodology got old. Shit, I should have just LS swapped the damn thing and gotten it over with lol.

As these cars are approaching 14 years old now (2010) how have these been holding up? Any major issues pop up in the SS? Interior electronics that are now vaporware? Wont be my daily thankfully but I do eventually want to go down the rabbit hole of cheap boost (EBAY GT45!!!!!!!) and turn her into a roll racer. Nova will be built for dig racing.

These babies were screwed together in Canada by an older workforce that really cared about turning out a quality car.

This in my opinion is best built Camaro ever.

I got mine slightly used (18k) and have had her for 11 years and almost 100k and its been a fantastic car.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:00 AM   #11
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
In my opnion... Get an LS3 car with the TR6060 and the HUD. Having everything displayed on the windshield and the reliability of the manual transmission is what I love most about my car. I went with a simple Centrifugal supercharger, and I love it. If I could go back in time, I would have probably went with an Roots style blower, but I do enjoy the ease of working on my setup. So i guess its a toss-up.

If you get a stock auto car, just immediately budget for a cam and lifter swap.

Otherwise, these cars are pretty bulletproof and don't have very many issues. I have heard of carrier bearing failure on high mileage cars which causes a driveline vibration. Also if the battery is old, they can cause some crazy christmas tree lights in these cars.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #12
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I’ve had so many great and fun cars over the years it kind of gets muddy after a while it seems. When I first snikked my 2010 SS into first gear and drove it the first time I have been smooth-ass in love. Something about it just clicks; it's loads of fun, CAI and a Borla ATAK cat back just buttered the biscuits, a little dyno time for a light tune to turn it up a little - it’s absolutely perfect for me.

Understand, I would love to have the exact same car as a ZL1 but I’m just simply not smart enough to be let out in public with that much horsepower. The SS is a bit safer but still capable of zero to jail in under 6 seconds.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote