Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #29
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I haven't checked in with audio systems in a while, but from what I remember, I always liked Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Blaupunkt and bose for head units. Speakers, JL Audio and Kenwood were clearest, MTX and JL were for power freaks (W7's and MTX Thunder Extreme). Kicker made some good speakers. I'll have to do more research. A lot of people nowadays like Boston Accoustics as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #30
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I haven't checked in with audio systems in a while, but from what I remember, I always liked Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Blaupunkt and bose for head units. Speakers, JL Audio and Kenwood were clearest, MTX and JL were for power freaks (W7's and MTX Thunder Extreme). Kicker made some good speakers. I'll have to do more research. A lot of people nowadays like Boston Accoustics as well.
As far as speakers go I would put BA at the top of my list. IMO you get all of the quality and sound of a Bose speaker without the Bose price tag. Every thing in my house(surround sound, Powered Subs, Stereo, etc.) is BA its crisp and clear and takes everything that the Yamaha reciever puts to it. Their car audio is great too. I don't believe they make a head unit though.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #31
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkbd View Post
As far as speakers go I would put BA at the top of my list. IMO you get all of the quality and sound of a Bose speaker without the Bose price tag. Every thing in my house(surround sound, Powered Subs, Stereo, etc.) is BA its crisp and clear and takes everything that the Yamaha reciever puts to it. Their car audio is great too. I don't believe they make a head unit though.
+1

I usually swap all my stock speakers for Boston Acoustics. Except when I'm stuck with a factory Bose system. Cus the ohms don't match and the BA's sound like crap!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #32
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I remember talking to a stereo expert a few years ago, and he reccommended this type of stuff. Different audio system parts do different things. I remember he told me JL Audio had awesome subs, cant remember what others he recommended (I'll try to dig em up), but yeah, for the best audio he said mixing and matching was the way to go. I was going to put this into the Escape I had before I found out about the Camaro and started saving my pennies.

Also, has anyone seen the commercial for Blaupunkt? I don't even think it aired in the US. I'll look for that thing too when I'm not at work. It had a stuffed animal rabbit and something else in the back window of a car doing crazy things because of the bumping speakers. Still probably my favorite commercial of all time.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
I remember talking to a stereo expert a few years ago, and he reccommended this type of stuff. Different audio system parts do different things. I remember he told me JL Audio had awesome subs, cant remember what others he recommended (I'll try to dig em up), but yeah, for the best audio he said mixing and matching was the way to go. I was going to put this into the Escape I had before I found out about the Camaro and started saving my pennies.

Also, has anyone seen the commercial for Blaupunkt? I don't even think it aired in the US. I'll look for that thing too when I'm not at work. It had a stuffed animal rabbit and something else in the back window of a car doing crazy things because of the bumping speakers. Still probably my favorite commercial of all time.

I've seen that commercial online. It's hilarious. Here's a link to it on YouTube-

CLICK HERE

No, that never played in the US. And doubtfully ever will with our ridiculously conservative culture. It's too suggestive and 'risque'(sp?) for our 'Right'...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #34
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
ahahaha that thing cracks me up, great find I was going to post it but I never do work that I don't have to.

Now I just got to find that list of what speakers are good for what.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #35
jhitson

Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
I know that this is wishfull thinking but I hope the hu can be changed. You can install million dollar speakers, but if the hu sucks then your milluion dollar speakers are going to sound like crap. You can install a million dollar hu and make crappy speaks sound pretty good. Just my $.02
Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #36
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
I know that this is wishfull thinking but I hope the hu can be changed. You can install million dollar speakers, but if the hu sucks then your milluion dollar speakers are going to sound like crap. You can install a million dollar hu and make crappy speaks sound pretty good. Just my $.02
Agreed. I like the look of the interior from the pre-pro's and I would hate to ruin it with a nasty head unit sticking out.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #37
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
thats why jl invented the clean sweep. greatest thing ever. stock HU and wut ever speakers you desire. good idea jl.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #38
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
thats why jl invented the clean sweep. greatest thing ever. stock HU and wut ever speakers you desire. good idea jl.
Yep. Hadn't heard a stock HU w/ the JL clean sweep. But, at $299 a pop, I'm sure it's worth it.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #39
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yep. Hadn't heard a stock HU w/ the JL clean sweep. But, at $299 a pop, I'm sure it's worth it.
yeah, its not as feature rich as some, but its the best sounding, especially for the money. then again i dont think a remote and an lcd screen is necessiray for something of that nature.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #40
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Well, if GM wanted to be really kind to the aftermarket for stereo stuff, they could do a few things.
1) iPod and Aux jack in, that would be a huge boon, and since a lot of other GM cars are getting this, its a good chance we are too
2) Pre-Outs!!!!!, 2 at least, 3 would be best, then as long as they made the stock HU have decent soundquality then adding some nice amp's to jack up the power would be really easy
3) some kind of way that would allow us to bypass the internal workings of the HU, most aftermarket decks have a "wired remote" input, if GM would at least provide a method to just isolate the buttons of the stock HU you could mount ur new HU somewhere hidden, and this way you get all the benefits without ruining the look of the dash. This setup would be similar to converting the steering wheel controls to work with AF decks, but instead of steering wheel controls, its the HU controls!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #41
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
I am starting to not really car as long as I can play CD's and get the radio. I have a 40 mile high way commute every day to work and I can keep myself occupied by trying to be personal best commute times..
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #42
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
That is FREAKIN AWESOME!

I've seen similar systems but they all had remote volume controls in addition the the stock HU volume control. But if you can still control everything from the factory HU. Oh MAN! I haven't read the pdf yet. But I'm sold. Nice find!

Closed Thread