Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Robehren

Drives: BMW M3 E92: 420 HP of v8 fury
Question about nav...

Will a navigation system/gps system be an option? From the pics of the production interior, i couldnt find a place where they would put it... Photoshop opportunity maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
im dead serious, if that car had a ******, id leave my gf.

proud founder of the BMW M3 owners group
Robehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
there is not going to be an option for a nav screen type system. the only nav option in the car will be onstar that will give you turn by turn directions
Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
fredl11

Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Angry Kinda Disappointing!

They have NAV in most of all the SUV vehicles and I've even seen evidence in the New Volt.

Oh Well :(
Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
this isnt new news, we have known for a long time
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
idk ill use my cheaper tom tom and i can take it out whenever i want
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Transdamm

Drives: BMW 650I
i thought Nav was on the way with HUD?
Transdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Garmin Nuvi 350 > Factory Nav Unit...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Supposedly the in dash navigation system will come at a later time, that is an option I will get. Don't want to clutter up my dash with a tacky clip on. If I can afford a new Camaro another $2k isn't going to break me.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Supposedly the in dash navigation system will come at a later time, that is an option I will get. Don't want to clutter up my dash with a tacky clip on. If I can afford a new Camaro another $2k isn't going to break me.
Do you really use Nav enough to worry about 'cluttering up the dash'? If it's used on a near daily basis I can understand prefering an in dash unit.

Otherwise paying $2000 for something you can get for less than $200 is a complete waste of money. That's $1800 you can use on other things.

I use my Nav maybe once a month, often not at all in a month. Attaching the portable unit to the windshield (or side window if the window is up) for a short time is hardly a big deal...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Do you really use Nav enough to worry about 'cluttering up the dash'? If it's used on a near daily basis I can understand prefering an in dash unit.

Otherwise paying $2000 for something you can get for less than $200 is a complete waste of money. That's $1800 you can use on other things.

I use my Nav maybe once a month, often not at all in a month. Attaching the portable unit to the windshield (or side window if the window is up) for a short time is hardly a big deal...
I use mine usually twice a month, I also use it whenever I drive at night when I can't see street signs (Don't have many street lamps in PA). What I don't understand is why people think it's a waste of money. I prefer the integrated look, and IMO I think the screen will look better than the radio that GM is planning on putting in.

I just read a thread where a guy is planning on taking out the L99 engine and replacing it with something different, it going to cost him $6k. He even spent the money on the parts even before he got his Camaro. So if I am wasting my money you should tell this guy he is wasting his, here is the thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6276

You might not understand my logic, but it's my money and I plan on going all out with this car. Just like many other people here will drop thousands extra on this car making modifications after they get the Camaro. The difference between me, you, and many people here I won't question how these people spend their money because they have different priorities and I understand/respect that.

If you're really that interested in saving people money you should talk them out of buying the Camaro, while it's a very beautiful/desirable car people don't need it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Kevin L

Drives: Last Camaro was a '00 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
I use mine usually twice a month, I also use it whenever I drive at night when I can't see street signs (Don't have many street lamps in PA). What I don't understand is why people think it's a waste of money. I prefer the integrated look, and IMO I think the screen will look better than the radio that GM is planning on putting in.

I just read a thread where a guy is planning on taking out the L99 engine and replacing it with something different, it going to cost him $6k. He even spent the money on the parts even before he got his Camaro. So if I am wasting my money you should tell this guy he is wasting his, here is the thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6276

You might not understand my logic, but it's my money and I plan on going all out with this car. Just like many other people here will drop thousands extra on this car making modifications after they get the Camaro. The difference between me, you, and many people here I won't question how these people spend their money because they have different priorities and I understand/respect that.

If you're really that interested in saving people money you should talk them out of buying the Camaro, while it's a very beautiful/desirable car people don't need it.
Well put. I collect and restore pinball machines and people in that community complain about why others pay 6-8k on a certain title like Medieval Madness when all you really need to buy is a 1k game. Nobody really NEEDS a pinball machine but if you want one there are games for everybody. I personally love the factory nav in my Lexus and will definitely want it in my next Camaro. If you've never had it before I could understand why you may not care.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
Well put. I collect and restore pinball machines and people in that community complain about why others pay 6-8k on a certain title like Medieval Madness when all you really need to buy is a 1k game. Nobody really NEEDS a pinball machine but if you want one there are games for everybody. I personally love the factory nav in my Lexus and will definitely want it in my next Camaro. If you've never had it before I could understand why you may not care.
I don't even know why they complain, I been trying to understand why for a long time. So they don't want the navigation system, thats fine. But why do they come down on people who do want it? Are they jealous?

When my father was talking to his friend about his new vehicle he showed him the navigation system and his friend started criticizing him for spending his money on this. Get this, the guy spends his money collecting firearms. He owns over 30 rifles and he got his nerve to criticize how he spends his money.

Again I have no problem with people spending thousands on their vehicle or even collecting firearms. If they enjoy it, or see the value in having these things they should go for it. Only if they would have the mental capacity to understand that some people see the value of an in dash navigation system for several reasons and just accept it.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I think that a unit similar to the one found in the Cadillac CTS-V could be made to fit with only slight revisions to the dash area design in the future. Having said that, this weekend we completed a trip to Bowling Green Kentucky in the new Z06. My car contains factory Nav and On-Star. We used both for Navigation in different instances. The OnStar turn-by-turn navigation is very nice, and much quicker to use in most cases. My wife really likes it because she doesn't really want to fool with the Navigation system. I was impressed with the OnStar service but hope that perhaps a later model camaro will be offered with navigation.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
I think that a unit similar to the one found in the Cadillac CTS-V could be made to fit with only slight revisions to the dash area design in the future. Having said that, this weekend we completed a trip to Bowling Green Kentucky in the new Z06. My car contains factory Nav and On-Star. We used both for Navigation in different instances. The OnStar turn-by-turn navigation is very nice, and much quicker to use in most cases. My wife really likes it because she doesn't really want to fool with the Navigation system. I was impressed with the OnStar service but hope that perhaps a later model camaro will be offered with navigation.
Yea that would be awesome, that unit has a Hard Drive for storing music. BTW GM's new in dash navigation units can have directions downloaded from On Star.