Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
They shouldn't have striked, but GM should not be dependent on one company. Competition for GM business would drive down prices and drive up GM profits. It's basic economics. I think it is ironic that the company that first devised a system of selling the same platform to diverse consumers through various companies (rebadging and all that) is the same company that only uses only one source for all of its parts. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy parts the same way that has been proven to sell parts successfully?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy parts the same way that has been proven to sell parts successfully?
American Axle used to be part of GM. It's a spinoff of GM, so far as I understand. So it makes sense that most of their parts are made by American Axle...but why they didn't slowly split contracts around....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm all for "Made in America" but I don't have too much sympathy when we shoot ourselves in the foot. No; none of these people asked for this but it's no wonder companies don't want to do business here. I no nothing about business and politics and that's because when I try to engage in some learning, I get frustrated in all the BS. Regardless, GM would do better to have more than one supplier, like has been mentioned already. Competition never hurt anyone.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Don't you just love NAFTA? It helps the economy by making it cheaper to import goods. The fact that people lose their jobs in the process is irrelevent.
Yes and you can thanks unions for its existence.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
It would certainly be devastating for anyone to have to take a 50% pay cut. That being said, a job is only worth at most 20-30% more than what it would cost to replace you with a rookie. Unions have been successul and raising wages and expectations of its members to a point now where it is just not feasible for companies to do business here. This is an unfortunate situation for the company, its workers, and this great nation. There is a proposal out there that could make the US one of the most attractive places to do business in and its called the Fairtax. www.fairtax.org
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
It would certainly be devastating for anyone to have to take a 50% pay cut. That being said, a job is only worth at most 20-30% more than what it would cost to replace you with a rookie. Unions have been successul and raising wages and expectations of its members to a point now where it is just not feasible for companies to do business here. This is an unfortunate situation for the company, its workers, and this great nation. There is a proposal out there that could make the US one of the most attractive places to do business in and its called the Fairtax. www.fairtax.org
HOLY CRAP

A HUGE +1!!!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who supports the Fairtax.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc320 View Post
You've got to feel for the workers on strike, though. How many people would not be wrought with financial problems if their job suddenly cut their income in half? There goes your house, etc., because you can't make the mortgage payment anymore. It's not their fault they get paid so much more than the competitor's company. The company agreed to it.
Nope sorry don't feel for anyone in that situation.. they acknowledged that they could go on strike any time that the union feels like it when they signed their contract. The reward for that risk was that they get overpaid to do a job that should pay less. This is the reason I will NEVER work for a union, what idiot gives anyone the right to say they can or can't work?

Life lesson to be learned here. When you sign up for something that is too good to be true.. It usually is. When that gravy train crashes and burns at the end of the ride, don't complain that was part of the risk.

Besides who has a right to complain about getting paid $50/hr when the industry average is $15/hr.. Even at 50% your still $10/hr ahead of the industry.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
This is why our stock axles suck.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #23
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
This is why our stock axles suck.
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #24
spurscar

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
I bet the company wouldn't be in as much financial trouble if the Unions hadn't sucked them dry for so long.

Thanks to OSHA and other workplace regulations the days of Unions are over. Unless union workers realize this soon the only places they'll be finding automotive jobs will require them to learn Spanish.
spurscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #25
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #26
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I-corumba!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #27
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkee drummer View Post
Without getting into all the stuff about Unions and such. My only comment is it's sad they can produce them in Mexico and ship them to Canada, 3000 miles away cheaper than they can make them 130 miles away. Cheap mexican labor. I guess.
cheap Mexican labor = cheap product
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #28
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Many domestic automotive parts are produced in Mexico, then shipped to Canada for assembly. There are hardly any jobs left in america.

Allthough, yesterday I picked up 20,000 lbs of ford car computers in El Paso.. and flew them to Kansas city. That felt good.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote