Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
new E85 dyno

dyno with E85...the first dyno was from yesterday...272.9 with my 20 x 9.5 forgestar wheels. today, redynoed with stock wheels and the difference was more than "noticeable"...283.4 with a 2.5% undercorrection for atmospheric/temperature conditions. still waiting to hear back from vince on an update for the tune that is on there now. hope to hear something soon and possibly get into the 290's. either way... 300 IS attainable NA.

Manual or Auto: auto

Mileage at the time of dyno: 13250

3rd/4th gear pull: 3rd

Type of dyno and Model: dynodynamics

Date/Time/Temp: 22 OCT 2011, 1700, 58

Modification at the time of dyno: CAI, BBK LT's w/Hi FLO cats, ARK N-II exhaust, trifecta E85

Dyno result: 283.4
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Wow...I was just getting ready to ask if manual or auto and you updated it as I was typing lol....

That is really impressive wheel horsepower for an auto. Puts you in the 350 to 360 crank hp range.

Awesome.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Don't forget to submit this to the dyno sticky thread either.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Very impressive.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Don't forget to submit this to the dyno sticky thread either.
I just spotted

Just noticed you have an auto too. Very impresive indeed! Don't use the dyno in knowing exactly how much power you are putting down but use it to know how much you are gaining or losing. Dynos varies too much with stock cars dynoing anywhere as low as 220's to 260+

What the heck, you might be already in the 300rwhp. Hit the track if you can and calculate how much power you are putting down. When I put down 13.5 that's when I knew I had to be over 300rwhp
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
this is depressing, no E85 stations for probably 300-400 miles
Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

getting on the track is my next step...im a noob to this but im loving every minute of it so far. when i do make it, i'll do a couple passes in sport mode then give it a try myself in manual. what i have questions on the most is how do you figure the right time to shift given the HP and Torque cross around 5200 RPM and redline is at 6700ish.

Last edited by hapisok; 10-29-2011 at 07:31 AM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
When did the Camaro get approved for E85? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. Isn't E85 corrosive? I read we don't have an abundance here in the south because it eats the pipelines so it has to be trucked in by tankers. If they could put it in the pipelines we would have lots of E85 down here in the south. Now it is mainly in the Midwest.(corn country) Why not just drive to the airport and fill up with 100LL AV-gas if you are looking for the higher octane. What am I missing here?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Very nice. Now you need to hit the track to get a time slip!
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
When did the Camaro get approved for E85? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. Isn't E85 corrosive? I read we don't have an abundance here in the south because it eats the pipelines so it has to be trucked in by tankers. If they could put it in the pipelines we would have lots of E85 down here in the south. Now it is mainly in the Midwest.(corn country) Why not just drive to the airport and fill up with 100LL AV-gas if you are looking for the higher octane. What am I missing here?
While there is so far not a lot of V6 owners running E85, there has been one or two fairly extensive threads here on this subject. Search user 'bmorecam' and check out some of the threads he has started.

Not really sure if there is much of a risk or not....there are a lot of untrue or stretched myths concerning E85.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

E85 update...

cold start is still an issue. marilyn is garage kept and starting her every morning is a breeze since shes starts off at a cozy 70+ degrees. cold weather finally rolled in this friday and after sitting at work she wasn't fond of starting back up in the low 40's. started bucking and misfiring, running really rough, came out of it after about a minute before settling back down but until that is resolved its back to 93.

there are a couple things i noticed between E85 and 93. the first being the sound. E85 made my exhaust louder. still fairly quiet just idling, but when you get on it...everybody knows your coming. the second was after going back to 93, it seemed (this is just a guess, kinda like the butt dyno) that the engine smoothed out and wasn't running as rough. if this is the case, im curious about premature wear and tear. not sure how to test that, definitely don't want to be the test "dummy" on that. bmorecam if you've got any other info i'd like to get your opinion. i know you've got extensive knowledge in this and would like to hear your thoughts. almost forgot...thirdly, the stock tires do NOT hook well with E85, i had never seen my stabili-trac lights come on so much but i was also driving "spirited".

hope this helps for whatever. i don't have the knowledge base as to all the mechanics of what is going on in the engine, so all your getting is user feedback.

just for the record...when i get on it, they still know!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
E85 update...

cold start is still an issue. marilyn is garage kept and starting her every morning is a breeze since shes starts off at a cozy 70+ degrees. cold weather finally rolled in this friday and after sitting at work she wasn't fond of starting back up in the low 40's. started bucking and misfiring, running really rough, came out of it after about a minute before settling back down but until that is resolved its back to 93.

there are a couple things i noticed between E85 and 93. the first being the sound. E85 made my exhaust louder. still fairly quiet just idling, but when you get on it...everybody knows your coming. the second was after going back to 93, it seemed (this is just a guess, kinda like the butt dyno) that the engine smoothed out and wasn't running as rough. if this is the case, im curious about premature wear and tear. not sure how to test that, definitely don't want to be the test "dummy" on that. bmorecam if you've got any other info i'd like to get your opinion. i know you've got extensive knowledge in this and would like to hear your thoughts. almost forgot...thirdly, the stock tires do NOT hook well with E85, i had never seen my stabili-trac lights come on so much but i was also driving "spirited".

hope this helps for whatever. i don't have the knowledge base as to all the mechanics of what is going on in the engine, so all your getting is user feedback.

just for the record...when i get on it, they still know!
cold start is still an issue
Did you contact vince about the problem? He will usually work with you until you get your cold start problem fixed. Cold start issue is a problem that everyone go through when converting to e85, but usually get fixed easily.

started bucking and misfiring, running really rough, came out of it after about a minute before settling back down but until that is resolved its back to 93.
I tell you a little secret lol. Before you start the car in the morning or whenever you know the car is going to start rough give it a few nice push on the gas before starting and usually it will start fine or not as rough as it does in cold morning. It's a simple fix for vince. Someone just has to get with him and get it worked out in cold mornings.

E85 made my exhaust louder
Maybe it's due to the weather change or you just can't keep your foot off the gas No problems that I know in that area.

the second was after going back to 93, it seemed (this is just a guess, kinda like the butt dyno) that the engine smoothed out and wasn't running as rough
When on e85, you usually hear peoples rave about how smoother the car has got. When you notice a problem that you don't think is normal then the best thing to do is send vince a log or check the status of the car yourself.

the stock tires do NOT hook well with E85, i had never seen my stabili-trac lights come on so much but i was also driving "spirited"
Maybe this is a good thing? lol.

Let me finish this off with some final thoughts of my own. One thing I learned from tuning side of things is that although every glove might fit that does not always mean it will always be comfortable on your hand more then it was on mine. When you start messing with the car's brain, and start changing this and changing that far out of the car's original comfort zone, sometimes the car will let you know. You have to sacrifice some aspect of what might be comfortable to you to get that extra oomph that the poor car was not originally designed for. This is all part of tuning and modifiying.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
cold start is still an issue
Did you contact vince about the problem? He will usually work with you until you get your cold start problem fixed. Cold start issue is a problem that everyone go through when converting to e85, but usually get fixed easily.

started bucking and misfiring, running really rough, came out of it after about a minute before settling back down but until that is resolved its back to 93.
I tell you a little secret lol. Before you start the car in the morning or whenever you know the car is going to start rough give it a few nice push on the gas before starting and usually it will start fine or not as rough as it does in cold morning. It's a simple fix for vince. Someone just has to get with him and get it worked out in cold mornings.

E85 made my exhaust louder
Maybe it's due to the weather change or you just can't keep your foot off the gas No problems that I know in that area.

the second was after going back to 93, it seemed (this is just a guess, kinda like the butt dyno) that the engine smoothed out and wasn't running as rough
When on e85, you usually hear peoples rave about how smoother the car has got. When you notice a problem that you don't think is normal then the best thing to do is send vince a log or check the status of the car yourself.

the stock tires do NOT hook well with E85, i had never seen my stabili-trac lights come on so much but i was also driving "spirited"
Maybe this is a good thing? lol.

Let me finish this off with some final thoughts of my own. One thing I learned from tuning side of things is that although every glove might fit that does not always mean it will always be comfortable on your hand more then it was on mine. When you start messing with the car's brain, and start changing this and changing that far out of the car's original comfort zone, sometimes the car will let you know. You have to sacrifice some aspect of what might be comfortable to you to get that extra oomph that the poor car was not originally designed for. This is all part of tuning and modifiying.
thanks for the tips and tricks. i sent Vince a data log last week, still waiting to hear back from him. he's good about getting back every time i have a question, figured he might just be out of the office. i'll definitely hit him back up about the cold start issue. maybe it seemed that things were smoother because it was quieter after going back to 93. i've also been slacking and need to order my dash hawk so i can see whats really going on. thanks again bmore...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I think they don't sell the dash hawk anymore which sucks because they are a perfect little device for GM cars. Try scanxl or autotap. Aeroforce scangauge if you want to go with something more visually appealing.