Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
Stabilitrack works

On my way home from work this week, someone 2 lanes to the left of me, decided they needed to make the next exit and cut across 3 lanes to make the exit. I had to swerve hard to the right to avoid being clipped in the front by this less than intelligent person. The back end of my car started sliding. With about two corrections on the steering wheel I got the car straightened out. I know I am not that good and I know if I had been in my 69 camaro, I would have been seriously hurt and the car seriously damaged and in the ditch.

Stabilitrack works REALLY WELL!! I have now given it a real world test, although that wasn't my intent.

Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Glad to hear your ok, and nothing happened to the car! lol Something similar happened to me last night and I had to swerve outta the way of a 'less than intelligent person' as well. I was on a 4lane road, and I was the ONLY CAR on the road for at least a 1/4 mile each way (it was flat you could see) and this guy waits for me to get up on the intersection (no red lights or anything here, only stop signs for anyone getting on the main highway) and decides he'll pull out and try to cross, was cruising at 60, slammed on the breaks and swerved to miss him. Another second slower and I'd have a totaled maro on mah hands in the hospital lol.

I swear can't people just drive slower and make smarter decisions? Why's everyone in such a rush these days?
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Good to hear that you're fine, first of all. And it's also good to hear the stabilitrack is doing its job. Makes me feel safer, thanks for posting.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrock25 View Post
Glad to hear your ok, and nothing happened to the car! lol Something similar happened to me last night and I had to swerve outta the way of a 'less than intelligent person' as well. I was on a 4lane road, and I was the ONLY CAR on the road for at least a 1/4 mile each way (it was flat you could see) and this guy waits for me to get up on the intersection (no red lights or anything here, only stop signs for anyone getting on the main highway) and decides he'll pull out and try to cross, was cruising at 60, slammed on the breaks and swerved to miss him. Another second slower and I'd have a totaled maro on mah hands in the hospital lol.

I swear can't people just drive slower and make smarter decisions? Why's everyone in such a rush these days?
heck, I'll settle for people just making smarter decisions...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilydean View Post
On my way home from work this week, someone 2 lanes to the left of me, decided they needed to make the next exit and cut across 3 lanes to make the exit. I had to swerve hard to the right to avoid being clipped in the front by this less than intelligent person. The back end of my car started sliding. With about two corrections on the steering wheel I got the car straightened out. I know I am not that good and I know if I had been in my 69 camaro, I would have been seriously hurt and the car seriously damaged and in the ditch.

Stabilitrack works REALLY WELL!! I have now given it a real world test, although that wasn't my intent.

Dean
The stabilitrack on this car will enable you turn on a dime at Mach1 with your eyes closed with one hand tied behind your back.

Well, Ok maybe its not that good but it is pretty amazing. I finally took mine out and put it through its paces. (done on a country road out in the middle of no where) I tried to see how well the car handled in a turn that I could not hope to take at 45mph in my Dodge RT or any other car I have. This curve is a posted 20mph hair pin sharp and does have a slight bank. I was going 45mph, down shifted prior to entering the curve, hit the throttle at the apex of curve and accelerated out like a rocket. The tires howled but it felt like I was glued to the road. No roll, no shimmy, no ass end slipping out from under me. I went back and pulled it at 50mph. 50mph was of course WAY to fast but all the car did was squeal the tires as it drifted out slightly about one lane width but what amazed me was that it did it square on all four wheels without the ass end trying to come around on me. This thing rides like its on rails. It feels exactley like a Z06 Corvette in a corner or chicane only heavier. The car will not sway no matter how mean I get with it in a corner. It does a simply amazing job of cornering and handling.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange w/ black stripes, black/orange interior, Automatic, w/ sunroof and polished aluminum wheels. 750miles so far
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
first time i have seen its handling compared to a Z06. interesting.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
first time i have seen its handling compared to a Z06. interesting.
Dont get me wrong. Its not a Z06 and will not pull the same G in a corner. I was attempting to compare the two as they relate to cornering. The Camaro no doubt has a higher center of gravity, curb weight is about 800lbs more and makes it makes 100hp less. Even with those disadvantages It still corners square and has no discernible roll in a corner no matter how nasty I get with it. I was expecting the added weight to make the car much looser and drift hard out of a corner. I surprised to find neither. In both those regards, it feels like a Z06 in a corner. I have taken a Z06/ZR1 around corners I did not think I would make. Many of which I would not attempt in this car. The Camaro squatted the rear a little coming out of the corner but still, not near as hard as what I would expect.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah the Stabiltrack is great on this car. I won't ever turn it off, traction control that comes off alot since my car got fixed. Now of coarse I need new back tires.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Yes, it works very well. have not had it come up on the camaro yet but it saved me a few times in the Corvette.

PS... Scott, nice Steve Perry pic! That is Steve Perry right?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
glad to hear it works lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yeah the Stabiltrack is great on this car. I won't ever turn it off, traction control that comes off alot since my car got fixed. Now of coarse I need new back tires.

Glad to hear it works well!

Scott how's Stephanie? I hope everyone is doing well!!
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote