Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Being old enough to remember the first of this type of "muscle car" when it came out which was actually the Ford Mustang, I can remember thinking it was cool looking but it didn't "grab" me. Vettes were actually considered a muscle car back then but they were expensive at the time; beyond the means of the average buyer.

When the Camaro debuted in 1967 I remember being stopped cold when I first saw the commercial on TV. It just reached out and grabbed me big time and the first time I actually saw one on the street I thought it was just awesome. I instantly loved it way more than the Mustang.

The Mustangs and Camaros were actually not called muscle cars but were known as "pony cars"; little brothers to the big muscle cars like the Vette. They were considered the "poor man's vette" but were actually aimed at the average buyer. It was no coincidence that Ford named theirs the Mustang and the genre was called pony cars; it was a direct throwback to the days when people owned and had horses.

A horse was a symbol of power; of freedom and individuality. There were work horses, plow horses, race horses, horses for all kinds of things but they were individual animals that had personalities and people would get very attached to them and be fiercely loyal to them. To many a horse was like part of the family.

A horse is a powerful animal; beautiful, graceful, built to run. A grand symbol of individuality and the freedom to move and run. It was very much a part of the building and spirit of America. Westerns were still very popular in the 1960's and people recognized and identified with the symbolic meaning of a "pony" car. They were wildly popular right out of the gate. It was because of the success of the Mustang that Chevy and the other companies came out with their own variations. They were symbols of American freedom and individuality.

This new Camaro is a throw back to those old days, but with a level of sophistication that's truly impressive. THIS car is clearly the vision of one designer; even though a lot of people were involved in it coming to life, you can still clearly see the overall effect of a single creative mind with a vision. This is rare in today's driven-by-polls, committee-decision making. THIS Camaro reaches out and grabs you with personality; a freedom to run, powerful, beautiful, elegant LETS GO!!! kind of image and style. It's personal in a way that most today haven't felt in a car before. It's not just a beautiful race horse, it's the king of the wild range.

The success GM is experiencing with this car is the same type of success Apple is experiencing with their products and for the same reason. Apple's products are clearly the result of a single creative mind's vision, and although he has assembled a great team to help him bring this vision to life, it's still clear when you see and touch an Apple product that this isn't a "designed by committee" result. Apple products evoke emotion and people use the same terms like "love" to describe their relationship with their computer, iPhone, iPad, etc. that Camaro owners have with this new Camaro.

If more American companies would pay attention to what's going on with Apple's success and the new Camaro's success by studying more than just the sales results, they'd get the clue as to what it was that made America great and why it still works.

Sure kids love the Camaro because of their feelings towards Bumblebee but even if the Camaro hadn't been in the Transformers movie I'm positive it would still be the runaway success it is. Because for adults, it's their horse; their freedom to run; that image of a powerful, beautiful, majestic animal running free. It's a symbol of individuality which is why people almost immediately start modding and customizing it to make their "own".

I love mine and I've been strangely reluctant and cautious about changing the appearance of the body (unlike what I've always done with my cars). I have a great respect for the way this car looks and I don't want to "insult" it by changing it's personality away from what it is. Yes I say "personality" because this car is not just an object as all of us who own one quickly find out. I'm just now starting to make small changes to the body; and I've had this since August of last year. I'm not going to do any of the really radical stuff I had planned to do before I got it. I love this car and I want to do only those things that add to the dignity and class it has. I know after seeing some of the things people have done that not everybody feels this way but a lot of people clearly do feel the same way.

Such a wonderful horse....

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Well said, Doc!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman57 View Post
I have driven and owned Corvettes since 1975 and bought my first Camaro in Dec 2010. I have already ordered another one due in 6-8 weeks. I have gotten more compliments and kind remarks in the past 6 months than I did in 35 years. I love my Camaro!
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Doc: great write-up. I agree with your sentiments, and that's why I am so looking forward to getting my horse. It symbolizes freedom, individuality and the open road for me. That's why I am reluctant to get something more sophisticated like an M3. I want something with a characteristic style, passion and history to it.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Being old enough to remember the first of this type of "muscle car" when it came out which was actually the Ford Mustang, I can remember thinking it was cool looking but it didn't "grab" me. Vettes were actually considered a muscle car back then but they were expensive at the time; beyond the means of the average buyer.

When the Camaro debuted in 1967 I remember being stopped cold when I first saw the commercial on TV. It just reached out and grabbed me big time and the first time I actually saw one on the street I thought it was just awesome. I instantly loved it way more than the Mustang.

The Mustangs and Camaros were actually not called muscle cars but were known as "pony cars"; little brothers to the big muscle cars like the Vette. They were considered the "poor man's vette" but were actually aimed at the average buyer. It was no coincidence that Ford named theirs the Mustang and the genre was called pony cars; it was a direct throwback to the days when people owned and had horses.

A horse was a symbol of power; of freedom and individuality. There were work horses, plow horses, race horses, horses for all kinds of things but they were individual animals that had personalities and people would get very attached to them and be fiercely loyal to them. To many a horse was like part of the family.

A horse is a powerful animal; beautiful, graceful, built to run. A grand symbol of individuality and the freedom to move and run. It was very much a part of the building and spirit of America. Westerns were still very popular in the 1960's and people recognized and identified with the symbolic meaning of a "pony" car. They were wildly popular right out of the gate. It was because of the success of the Mustang that Chevy and the other companies came out with their own variations. They were symbols of American freedom and individuality.

This new Camaro is a throw back to those old days, but with a level of sophistication that's truly impressive. THIS car is clearly the vision of one designer; even though a lot of people were involved in it coming to life, you can still clearly see the overall effect of a single creative mind with a vision. This is rare in today's driven-by-polls, committee-decision making. THIS Camaro reaches out and grabs you with personality; a freedom to run, powerful, beautiful, elegant LETS GO!!! kind of image and style. It's personal in a way that most today haven't felt in a car before. It's not just a beautiful race horse, it's the king of the wild range.

The success GM is experiencing with this car is the same type of success Apple is experiencing with their products and for the same reason. Apple's products are clearly the result of a single creative mind's vision, and although he has assembled a great team to help him bring this vision to life, it's still clear when you see and touch an Apple product that this isn't a "designed by committee" result. Apple products evoke emotion and people use the same terms like "love" to describe their relationship with their computer, iPhone, iPad, etc. that Camaro owners have with this new Camaro.

If more American companies would pay attention to what's going on with Apple's success and the new Camaro's success by studying more than just the sales results, they'd get the clue as to what it was that made America great and why it still works.

Sure kids love the Camaro because of their feelings towards Bumblebee but even if the Camaro hadn't been in the Transformers movie I'm positive it would still be the runaway success it is. Because for adults, it's their horse; their freedom to run; that image of a powerful, beautiful, majestic animal running free. It's a symbol of individuality which is why people almost immediately start modding and customizing it to make their "own".

I love mine and I've been strangely reluctant and cautious about changing the appearance of the body (unlike what I've always done with my cars). I have a great respect for the way this car looks and I don't want to "insult" it by changing it's personality away from what it is. Yes I say "personality" because this car is not just an object as all of us who own one quickly find out. I'm just now starting to make small changes to the body; and I've had this since August of last year. I'm not going to do any of the really radical stuff I had planned to do before I got it. I love this car and I want to do only those things that add to the dignity and class it has. I know after seeing some of the things people have done that not everybody feels this way but a lot of people clearly do feel the same way.

Such a wonderful horse....
You ALWAYS bring MEAT to the table Doc!!!!
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
For me, I totally get the transformers connection. I too grew up as a child in the 80's and was fixated on the TV when transformers was on.

But, the transformers-2010 Camaro connection didn't really resonate with me as much as some people. I think this is because I was first drawn to the 2010 Camaro when the concept came out. The moment I saw that car, my heart just stopped. It was like I'd seen an apparition coming out of the dark. It struck a chord with me like no other car I've ever seen. Not even any exotics!

Exotics are one thing, they are truly rolling works of art (most of them). But they are things that only a very small percentage of people will ever be able to attain.

When 2010 pricing was announced, I was flabbergasted. Now here was a truly beautiful, exquisite, elegant, and refined rolling work of art..........that the average fellow or lady could most readily afford! Who would have thought that the average joe could have such a wonderful and magical car?

I made it my life's mission to possess this car. I wanted it like I've never wanted anything before or since. I now have my dream car, and it is truly so.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
c6vettepilot

Drives: Victory Red/Black
I have an '05 Corvette I bought new. I've put over $10,000 in mods on it. It will be 6 years old this Oct. It sits with 2,000 miles on it. I only drive it to car shows.........I receive compliments every time I take it out of the garage.

I bought the SS for a daily driver. It took the place of an '05 SSR that was definitely a conversion piece.

Knowing there are so many Camaros out there I wasn't expecting the looks and attention I get with mine. Kids seem to be much more impressed with the Camaro than the Vette......I don't plan on doing many mods to the SS, but I will do a few just to personalize the car...
c6vettepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
Lor5150

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
I made it my life's mission to possess this car. I wanted it like I've never wanted anything before or since. I now have my dream car, and it is truly so.
Love what you said here...I feel the same...this is MY DREAM car also, and the fact that I was able to attain it makes me very fortunate!!! I drive it everyday, take nothing for granted and simply ....ENJOY!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
You can read my story on my member car journal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84133

I did mine up to be a tie in to cliffjumper. I grew up watching transformers and always felt he would be more of a Camaro than Bumblebee.

It turned out I wanted this car, and hit a point in my life I could have it. My wife had been leasing cars, and my 2000 Camry is going to her when we get someone to take over the lease, or the lease is up. The camry is still a pretty sweet car, and has a lot of life left in it. Besides it only has 82,000 miles on it.

The Camaro qualified for the GM discount and my dad is retired from GM, so I could finally use that to get a sweet car like this. I love the retro styling and all the new features.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Nice post

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
You can read my story on my member car journal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84133

I did mine up to be a tie in to cliffjumper. I grew up watching transformers and always felt he would be more of a Camaro than Bumblebee.

It turned out I wanted this car, and hit a point in my life I could have it. My wife had been leasing cars, and my 2000 Camry is going to her when we get someone to take over the lease, or the lease is up. The camry is still a pretty sweet car, and has a lot of life left in it. Besides it only has 82,000 miles on it.

The Camaro qualified for the GM discount and my dad is retired from GM, so I could finally use that to get a sweet car like this. I love the retro styling and all the new features.
so now you can say that both your wife and you drive Cammys! That's sweet!
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
matt787

Drives: 2LT RS M6 CGM IO interior!
Excellent, attractive car designs sell and attract attention... Pure and simple. Let the design people do their thing and you end up with the Camaro, a car that looks as good as it's engineered...
matt787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
so now you can say that both your wife and you drive Cammys! That's sweet!
I suppose so.

Though you do find you can rattle the cages of some by calling the Camaro a Cammy. I of course wouldn't because I wouldn't know which car I was referring to.

The camry is still pretty cool. Even though it was a cookie cutter car, I managed to personalize that and make it mine.
Attached Images

skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
johncaye
Pavementguy

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 6M
MANABOUTOWN - 2010 CAMARO EXPERIENCES

I pulled into the drive up and ordered burgers for the family (they are with me in the car). I pull around to the drive up window and notice the worker running away from the window. Not at all unusual in the fast burger biz. Seconds later this cute little thing comes to the window and opens it. She says, is that a transformer car? I said, yep - even though it is IOM, not yellow. She stays at the window the whole time asking questions about the movie and the car and I just keep saying -yup and nodding occasionally regardless of what she asked since I never saw the movie. She then asks if I could possibly, ever, let her look at the car close up. I say sure, I'll pull of to the side of the lot here and you can come out and look. My mrs. looks at me and rolls her eyes. Cute young thing then looks back at the manager and he shrugs and nods yes, she could go out to look. She comes out and asks if she could touch it. I say sure go ahead and feel wahtever you want. She does a walkaround feeling the entire body, eerily almost as if she is blind. I get out and tell her to hop in. She gasps, jumps in and the next second says the seats are so soft and warm and feel soooo goood! She handles the stick and the steering wheel and kind of shakes a lttle as if to put the car in motion or something. She then says she would do anything to get a ride in it. My mind immediately goes to the ditch but then I snap out of it. I say I really have to get going and she gets out, disappointed that the car will be leaving. The wife is obviously a bit agitated by the whole thing. As we drive away she gives me "the look". I know what she is thinking and she knows it. I wish I were 18 again with this beast of a chick magnet. Alas, who knows what will happen next. All I can say is this Orange Camaro SS/RS is worth every penny I paid.
johncaye is offline   Reply With Quote