Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Why we and everyone loves this car.. essay

Someone at work decided to say “Hey that car is not going to love you back.” But it does. “Its not going to take care of you when you re in the nursing home one day.” Neither are your sorry a** kids! :-P

The attachment to this car. I have sat here on the forums and read the 2010 Camaro owners stories of the responses from passer-bys. I have also noted that 2010 Camaro drivers are drawn to wave at each other or stop at lights for conversation. (Jeep Wrangler drivers appear to be highway social with each other also.) So here is my essay on the apparent uniqueness of the attention and culture around this car. I don’t have any hard data to back this up. I just use my own observations and the observations of others.

So why the attachment and attention to this car? I pulled up to the grocery store in front of a new corvette driver. We started having a conversation. While his car was more sporty and more expensive, he did not report the same level of attention to his car that I had received. I thought about that for awhile. Why this car over a more exotic car? Is it because of the “Concept” style? Product placement with Transformers? Reverting to the old muscle car look? Well there were other “new-old muscle cars.” There were also other vehicles that should have benefited from Transformer’s product placement. And other “concepts” existed also.

I had to revert back to my child hood to find an answer. In the early 1980’s, many of us (near my age) were big fans of Transformers Generation 1. One of the unique features of the show was the unique humanization of the original Bumble-bee. The original Bumble-bee was of course a Volkswagen Bug and every episode had some focus on the relationship between Bee and the human boy Spike. Bumble-Bee was portrayed as the weakest of all the Transformer and almost as vunerable as the humans themselves. While that relationship between Spike and Bee was not very detailed or well portrayed, for most of us it did sink in as we watched on a daily basis. I think my generation subconsciously absorbed much of that relationship. Even when Transformers the Movie first came out, I remember being angry over Bee not being a Bug. (Thank God, it was a Camaro in the end.)

The relationship between Bee and Sam in Transformers the Movie took the same “Boy and his car” theme, but had to compress that relationship in a much shorter time frame than the 80s TV show. I think all in all Shia LeBeouf was the best choice for that. Also Bee not being able to speak forced a level of emotional interaction as opposed to one built on dialogue. (Fortunately, the Transformers writers had the fore sight to make new Bumble-Bee a much “tougher” car and robot.) I cannot think of a “man to car” relationship that has been as intricate as in Transformers. The only other “man-car” relationship I can even think of is Knight Rider. Both the car and the actor were bad actors.

I’m 35 the connection for me goes my 2010 Camaro to the Movie then back to the 80s series. I do think the Classic car people have another connection that goes back to the muscle cars of the 60’s, but Im not one of those people and I can’t relate. Hence, why the first Chevy dealer I went to should have not spent so long bragging about the “gauge cluster.” It did not mean much to me.

Again this is my rationale for why my co-worker’s kid yells “Blue Bumble Bee” when I pull up, and why at a license check all 5 cops had to stick their heads in my car (forgetting to ask for my license.) We now clearly see the humanization and the attachment to this car. And I guess our personal feeling ingrained in our psyche is this car more than any other car does “love you back.”
Eric's Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Lets also collect a running tab of our stories and interactions here.
Eric's Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
retro500

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Black L99
Freaking awesome post! I feel the same way!! I get a lot of stares and congrats on such a beautiful car. Chevy really pulled this out of there awesome minds!!!!RULES!!!!!
retro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
SS Beast

Drives: 2010 Black/2SS/RS/M6
Wow, thanks for the essay. I was a big 1st gen Transformers fan, as well. I do agree that the man/car relationship that Spike and Bee had an influence on me but the first time I fell in love with the Camaro was seeing it in another 80's classic, Better Off Dead. That black '67 SS was, to me, the epitome of American Muscle.
SS Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Good post. It definitely is a good feeling whenever I drive around, and get compliments on my car. I dont go out looking for attention, but it is nice to take pride in something that you spent so much money on.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
great story. It's funny that my fiance feels exactly the same way referring to the “Hey that car is not going to love you back.” and “Its not going to take care of you when you re in the nursing home one day.” She's also a geriatric physical therapist!

and to add to your great post even more than just movies:

I am getting her to come around though and see what the excitement about a car is all about, how metal and mechanics can come together into one beautiful, adrenaline-pumping, obsessive thing. some people may not share my same opinion, but I do believe that automobiles can be one of the most desirable objects in the world. It's amazing how emotionally attached you can become to a vehicle and how much history can be behind an automaker's or model's name, like Camaro or Corvette, heck even Mustang

People truly have a passion for cars and it will never go away. Even during the recent recession and gas price issues, the turn outs for auto shows such as the International Auto shows across the world and SEMA, were still in record-attendance. Barrett-Jackson, Mecum's auto auctions--busier than ever! For the Camaro in its first reappearance since 2002 to sell over 125K units already in its first year just goes to show you how desirable cars can be and people will save for months or years, refinance their house, take out a second mortgage, sell stock, anything...to have the automobile they've always dreamed of. I don't think there is a much better feeling than driving the car you've always wanted. Inside my Camaro is my happy place and all the negativity from the day or stress just melts away when I turn that key and hear that V-8 come to life! all is good then.

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
retro500

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Black L99
its all good wolf.........
retro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
[QUOTE=Dire Wolf;1912288]Hey man I'm sorry for being one of the idiots who cracked jokes on your other thread. I hope you found the answer to your question. I'm just a wise ass who likes to have fun with people.

x2... Sometimes I go to far... no harm meant.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
DCCAM
Northwest Austin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/A6/IBM
Wonderful post, Eric! I am glued to my Camaro - think about it all the time - like a first love I suppose. There is no doubt that this car draws attention like moths to a flame. It has great hips and curves, and a mystique as a strong as any on the road today. There isn't a single one of us that hasn't received a good 'ol 'thumbs-up' or "nice car" while parked somewhere. As my wife said to me when I pulled into the driveway for the first time: "it is like an orgasm on wheels". Love me back? You bet! Nuff said...
DCCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Lor5150

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Love this thread! Muscle cars have always been known as a man's car...but even as a little girl, I have been in love with these machines! I was seven when my brother brought home a blue GTO with white racing stripes- big tires in the back, back-end jacked up..this was in the 70's.
I would sit in the driver seat, playing with the steering wheel, imagining the day i would drive it..sadly never got to drive that one, but I did get to drive his 1981 Z28..black with yellow, red & orange stripes..
the feeling I had driving that car was just so awesome..I respected the power of the machine, and just felt in awe when I drove it.

Since then, i would come to own a 1991 (bought it new) CAMARO RS. Then in 1998 I bought an '87 TransAM (mint, with only 27,000 miles on it)

When the Gen 4 Camaro's came I out, my friend bought one..I was sad..I didn't like it at all!
Something to me was missing...THE MUSCLE!!!

It reminded me of a "yuppy" type car..(I can't believe I'm sayin that about a Camaro)
When the GEN 5's came out..I knew the muscle was back!! I remember the first one i saw close up...I actually stared at it and got teary eyed..I know corny..well I'm a woman..we get emotional!!
I HAD TO HAVE THIS CAR!! My husband told me to hold out..they were too new and prices were high (5,000 over sticker!!)

I waited patiently...my husband was drving a Mitsubishi Rali-Art..and has always wanted an Evolution, but that wonderful man of mine sold his Rali-art so I could get my Gen5 Camaro.
When we were at the dealership, and I drove off the lot with my new baby, I cried.

I cried because I have an awesome husband that gave up a car he really loved and gave up getting his EVO for me...I cried because I could not believe I was driving this incredible, powerful machine. I feel alive, youthful, happy, content, & down right cool when driving this car!!

I have been and always will be a muscle car woman...it's not just for men..as i'm sure many other female camaro owners will agree with.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Interesting topic. I agree, this car brings out the child in us. The fact that kids love the car amplifies the child within us.

I went ahead and bought high-end versions of toys that I always wanted as a kid but couldn't afford. One of them costs $180 for a "Yamato" Valkyrie from Robotech - this version was probably the most sophisticated transforming toy ever created, alongside the Masterpiece Starscream (which looks like a model plane in plane form - can't even tell it's a robot! And the robot looks exactly like the cartoon).

Buying those toys was a nostalgic trip for me. The funny thing is, I must have bought nearly $1000 of nostalgic paraphernalia and as soon as I got it, I just put it on the mantel and never touched it. I think I was more enamored by the thought of recapturing my childhood rather than reliving my childhood.

At the very beginning of my Camaro lust, I felt the same way about the Camaro: it was about recapturing the nostalgia of my childhood. However the longer I wait before I buy my performance car, I'm of the thinking that I should just buy a car for its qualities, not for its childhood nostalgia.

If I end up buying another car other than a Camaro, and my kid goes ga-ga over a Camaro, I'm just going to shrug. I am buying this car for me, not for anyone else.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
chevyman57

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I have driven and owned Corvettes since 1975 and bought my first Camaro in Dec 2010. I have already ordered another one due in 6-8 weeks. I have gotten more compliments and kind remarks in the past 6 months than I did in 35 years. I love my Camaro!
chevyman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
I think most of you on here already know about my 'love affair' with my 'ROCKETSHIP', aka 'HWAY STR'....

I cannot even put into words what my Camaro means to me...but I bet all of you that own one know how I feel...

I just said to my husband last night that I cannot remember ANY car in my lifetime drawing the kind of attention and admiration that this beautiful machine does...

I have owned my 'dream called Camaro' for one year now, as of 5/19, and I can say that it is still unbelieveable to me that I actually own a car that is IMHO, the best and most fun car ever made in the history of the automobile...

I owned a '76 Firebird and still own a '95 Corvette that we bought used 4 yrs ago, and I never, ever thought it could get any better than those 2 cars, but the Camaro is all that and more...

To me, the Camaro has literally taken me places that a year ago I could never have imagined going...

I have made so many friends on here and in person with our NY5THGEN Camaro Club... we are all ages, all walks of life, men and women, with one thing in common - the pure, unadulterated LOVE of this fine piece of automotive engineering....

I have never felt this way about any car before in my life...I have only driven the 'Vette ONCE since getting my Camaro...

The Camaro is the best thing to come into my life in a very long time...and as Scott Settlemire, aka the Fbodfather so aptly put it, "it's not just a car"...

It is a way of life, a way of meeting new people, and an experience that no one else will ever 'get', unless they are fortunate enough to be as blessed as we are to own one...

The Camaro is LOVE...

Now I will show my appreciation for my Camaro by doing my 'world famous, only for Camaro fans, smiley dance'...............

Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
green man

Drives: 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor5150 View Post
Love this thread! Muscle cars have always been known as a man's car...but even as a little girl, I have been in love with these machines! I was seven when my brother brought home a blue GTO with white racing stripes- big tires in the back, back-end jacked up..this was in the 70's.
I would sit in the driver seat, playing with the steering wheel, imagining the day i would drive it..sadly never got to drive that one, but I did get to drive his 1981 Z28..black with yellow, red & orange stripes..
the feeling I had driving that car was just so awesome..I respected the power of the machine, and just felt in awe when I drove it.

Since then, i would come to own a 1991 (bought it new) CAMARO RS. Then in 1998 I bought an '87 TransAM (mint, with only 27,000 miles on it)

When the Gen 4 Camaro's came I out, my friend bought one..I was sad..I didn't like it at all!
Something to me was missing...THE MUSCLE!!!

It reminded me of a "yuppy" type car..(I can't believe I'm sayin that about a Camaro)
When the GEN 5's came out..I knew the muscle was back!! I remember the first one i saw close up...I actually stared at it and got teary eyed..I know corny..well I'm a woman..we get emotional!!
I HAD TO HAVE THIS CAR!! My husband told me to hold out..they were too new and prices were high (5,000 over sticker!!)

I waited patiently...my husband was drving a Mitsubishi Rali-Art..and has always wanted an Evolution, but that wonderful man of mine sold his Rali-art so I could get my Gen5 Camaro.
When we were at the dealership, and I drove off the lot with my new baby, I cried.

I cried because I have an awesome husband that gave up a car he really loved and gave up getting his EVO for me...I cried because I could not believe I was driving this incredible, powerful machine. I feel alive, youthful, happy, content, & down right cool when driving this car!!

I have been and always will be a muscle car woman...it's not just for men..as i'm sure many other female camaro owners will agree with.

Wow, you have an awesome husband...