Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #29
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
The SS is not premium only, it is recommended that you use premium. My dad never put premium in his SS, neither did his boss who had one. It had no issues at all, some of them were pre-production models as well.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=14
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #30
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
I picked up my car on 1/31/10 with a full tank of gas.I just ran the car down to a 1/4 tank and refueled using Shell V Power.The difference is like night and day,do you think those cheap bastards used 87 octane when my car was delivered?I have owned several cars that required premium fuel and have used top tier gas to find the best.
Same problem here. The dealership filled it with 87 octane regular when I picked it up. Nothing worse than having an engine pinging while you're trying to break it in. As soon as it got down to a half tank, I filled it with premium and all is well. The manual says regular can be used in a pinch but I won't. As for top tier fuel, it just has more/better detergents and would be more of a long term benefit to keeping the valves, pistons, and injectors clean. Should not make any difference to power or running since stations buy fuel from pretty much the same refining stocks and just add there own special blend of detergents and put their label on it.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
fp115

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Well if you don't, your teeth will fall out. The engine won't fall out
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #32
CHVY-2SS

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Being driven. People are allowed to do whatever they want with their cars, that includes driving them how they want. Don't bring that crap into this thread.
Easy TommyTSquared.
CHVY-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
vetteman07

Drives: 07a6c6
GREAT thing about CANADA SUNOCO everywhere with ultra 94 gas put it all my cars they run better . dose nothing for my Honda 919 .low compression engin
vetteman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
You don't have to bursh your teeth every day but its recommended.
Epic reply. I just had to say that was awesome.....

Chevron for the Kid's SS,
-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY-2SS View Post
Easy TommyTSquared.
It's the typical overreaction that occurs in innocuous threads like this. Some people have a tendency to think their way of doing things is often the only/best/right/etc way of doing them. There was no attempt to help the OP or anyone else.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #36
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
doctor-can i make an appointment?I likea your avatar!!!
buzzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #37
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
I picked up my car on 1/31/10 with a full tank of gas.I just ran the car down to a 1/4 tank and refueled using Shell V Power.The difference is like night and day,do you think those cheap bastards used 87 octane when my car was delivered?I have owned several cars that required premium fuel and have used top tier gas to find the best.
So called top tier gas comes from the same refineries as the cheap stuff. Only difference is additives. You probably had low octane from the dealer. Just remember high octane doesn't make more power. The computer senses the higher octane fuel and advances the timing accordingly, that's where the more power comes from.

I hope this is not anther neverending thread argueing about octane and power and brand name quality. There are plenty of those here if you search.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #38
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
I understand the fuel rating and the timing being adjusted to prevent pinging.I was just thinking that this has happened to others and did they also feel the difference.I worked in several dealerships as a tech(before I decided to climb poles and play with electricity)and have watched the tricks of some salesmen.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #39
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Epic reply. I just had to say that was awesome.....

Chevron for the Kid's SS,
-Ivan
It just killing me, all the folks on this site that think GMs use of "recommended" means you can cut corners. And they repeat it like a broken record in ever gas thread they see.

Regardless if the computer can deal with it, it shouldn't have too.

The knock sensors should commit suicide from boredom.

Sorry for being harsh, I just feel bad for those engines.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #40
fp115

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
It just killing me, all the folks on this site that think GMs use of "recommended" means you can cut corners. And they repeat it like a broken record in ever gas thread they see.

Regardless if the computer can deal with it, it shouldn't have too.

The knock sensors should commit suicide from boredom.

Sorry for being harsh, I just feel bad for those engines.
Now you are just twisting the words around. The engine does it just fine and was designed to handle 87 octane. The point of pre-production models was to test this precisely and tweaks were made for it to work just fine. Several in the fleet saw 87 octane and only 87, they had no problems whatsoever, the performance was good and the exhaust note was also good.

If people don't want to spend the extra 15-20 cents per liter (or whatever the difference is in gallons) then they don't need to. Feel bad for those engines all you want, but they were designed to handle it, it simply performs better with higher octane, which may not even matter to many on this board.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #41
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
The engine does it just fine and was designed to handle 87 octane. The point of pre-production models was to test this precisely and tweaks were made for it to work just fine. Several in the fleet saw 87 octane and only 87, they had no problems whatsoever, the performance was good and the exhaust note was also good.
That all sounds well and good but my car had excessive pinging under mild to medium engine load with 87 octane fuel that was put in by the dealer. This was on flat roads and cool temperatures. The knock sensors and ECM could not completely compensate for it. If you want to put low octane fuel in your new SS Camaro, be my guest. I however would strongly not recommend this practice to anyone else driving a V8 camaro except as a temporary situation until premium fuel can be found. Fuel variability, hot weather driving, carbon build up over time, and mountain pass driving would only make this worse. I consider any pinging to be potentially damaging let alone a performance killer.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #42
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Now you are just twisting the words around. The engine does it just fine and was designed to handle 87 octane. The point of pre-production models was to test this precisely and tweaks were made for it to work just fine. Several in the fleet saw 87 octane and only 87, they had no problems whatsoever, the performance was good and the exhaust note was also good.

If people don't want to spend the extra 15-20 cents per liter (or whatever the difference is in gallons) then they don't need to. Feel bad for those engines all you want, but they were designed to handle it, it simply performs better with higher octane, which may not even matter to many on this board.

Will somebody fix that