Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
red99vette

Drives: 2SS/RS, 99 C5 FRC Procharger & more
Painting experts - need to paint splash guards

I have an ABM SS and we can't get pre-painted splash guards. I have a set of cyber gray ones that I want to paint. I have found a site that sells pre-mixed factory paints - http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ - now the question is will this work, and what would be the prep procedure before shooting these?
red99vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Yes that paint will work, but in all honesty if your not familiar with painting 2 stage paints or even single stage for that matter, I would recommend paying a body shop to shoot them.

I don't know what kind of prep needs to be done, because I don't know what condition they show up in out of the box. Primer?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
red99vette

Cyber gray pre-painted
Old 05-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
MuttGrunt

Drives: Not Enough
^They'll need to be scuffed and painted in that case.

I highly recommend taking them to a quality shop as well. Looking to save $100 and having poor results doesn't seem justified when you can likely talk to a shop and have them do a better job color matching and matching the factory orange peel so everything looks 100% stock OEM.

Take into account most touch-up paint is lacquer, so it's cheaper, less strong/flexible, and won't last as long. I'm sue you already spent good money to get the splash guards, by I recommend doing it right the first time and spending a little more money upfront, rather than having to re-do anything. Most body shops should give you a life-time warranty against clear-coat peeling and such as well which is an added bonus for your hard earned money.
MuttGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
If they can supply paint in aerosol cans, it shouldn't be too hard to use. I would think touchup paint would be single stage so no additives to deal with. Scuff and paint basically.

I went an easier and cheaper route and actually like it better than color matched. I bought some Duplicolor bumper black aerosol paint that was satin gloss and had flex additive already in it for painting plastic. It doesn't stand out so much IMO.
Attached Images

67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
red99vette

Thanks guys. I stopped by an acquaintance's paint shop and he offered to do them for $250.... and while he has the paint in the gun he's gonna shoot the silver part of the engine cover too
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks awesome
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Price ain't bad and I would suggest he treat them like bumper covers and plasticize (flex agent) the clear. This gives them a softer, more flexible coating and that resists chipping better. Lets see the after photos when it's done. they are not the coolest mud flaps ever but should look 100% better painted to match.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
red99vette

I'd rather not have them at all but already am noticing some sandblasting on the lower panels, and I have a 1200 mile road trip coming up! I'm hoping I can mount them so they can go on and off easy.

On a more fun note, the Magnaflow goes on this week
Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by red99vette View Post
I'd rather not have them at all but already am noticing some sandblasting on the lower panels, and I have a 1200 mile road trip coming up! I'm hoping I can mount them so they can go on and off easy.

On a more fun note, the Magnaflow goes on this week
Check out the TKO performance product called Cleartastic. As soon as this is avv. I am going to try it out. Sounds like you can peel it off and put it back on. I am in agreement with you any of these "fixes" detract from the look of he car. It would be nice to be able to remove them when you want. Tell us how the flaps work on your road trip.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
red99vette

Yes I've seen that lots of the Vette guys use it. I thought about puting that all along the rockers also. I've seen cars with the whole front end done but up close its ugly IMHO.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
red99vette

Update here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...51#post1891951