Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Thumbs up Review / Installation of OBX Long-Tube Headers!

Against the advice of many of the big distributors and major manufacturers on this site, I ordered a set of 304 Stainless Steel, OBX-R longtube headers with cat-delete pipes.

I must say, I was very surprised with the quality as other manufacturers were reporting these to be Chinese knock-offs of a major brand of header made in the USA. Oddly enough, I did not find a single "made in China" sticker anywhere on these headers.

Straight out of the box the headers looked like jewelry. The whole system is a high polish. The plan was to replace my stock cast iron manifolds and JBA catted midpipes with these.

As far as installation...it was a BREEZE. This was by far the easiest installation of a set of headers I have ever done. The driver's side fit with zero clearance issues and the passenger side also fit with no issues whatsoever.

It is worthy to note that:

1.) I re-used the stock exhaust manifold gaskets (metal) because they were one piece while the OBX graphite gaskets were two piece and I was eventually worried about blow-out. The stock metal gaskets will NEVER blow out.

2.) The collector to catalytic converter delete pipe bolts that were supplied with the kit were cheap metric 4.8 grade steel. I ditched these in favor of purchasing some metric 8.8 grade bolts. Also I did not like the tension "springs" supplied by OBX with the collector bolts. I ditched these in favor of lock washers to keep everything from loosening up.

3) The kit did not come with front O2 sensor extension wires. This shut me down for a week as I ordered mine from Racetronixs which is an outfit in Canada. You can buy the "high temp" extensions here: http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...4T-24T&eq=&Tp= I have since learned that Casper's electronics also sells extensions available in 12". You can buy them here: http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1267

4) Lastly, I purchased two 304 stainless steel O2 sensor extenders (fancy one piece 2" spark plug antifoulers) to keep the cat delete pipes from throwing codes.

So here is what I spent:

$404.00 OBX Headers (eBay)
$46.75 Racetronix front O2 wire extensions
$11 collector bolt hardware
$24 Stainless rear O2 sensor extenders
------------------------------------
Total spent = $485.75

The sound of this system is AMAZING. I am 100% satisfied with the quality and fitment of these headers. I am sooo glad that I did not listen to the naysayers and go with a more expensive header that would have performed the same.

Now let me shut up and on to the pics. I will post a video clip of the OBX headers, cat delete pipes and stock LS3 cat-back when I get a chance. I absolutely found the right sound for this car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hicompression; 09-14-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
looks real good...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Looks nice
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd be really interested in hearing a sound clip....they look really good. As far as wall-thickness, what is the gauage of the pipes they used? Are they pretty thick? I've heard that the downfall is the gauge of stainless. Too bad you didn't measure it to post some definitive data. Most of the negative threads that you read about OBX are predicated on myth rather than fact.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
looks real good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Looks nice
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochargedchevyi View Post
I'd be really interested in hearing a sound clip....they look really good. As far as wall-thickness, what is the gauage of the pipes they used? Are they pretty thick? I've heard that the downfall is the gauge of stainless. Too bad you didn't measure it to post some definitive data. Most of the negative threads that you read about OBX are predicated on myth rather than fact.
A soundclip will be forthcoming. Unfortunately, I did not think to measure the wall thickness of the tubes. It was just not something that stood out as being too thin to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
If you want to hear what they sound like...
i just did a little rubber laying... same setup as his... OBX no cats and muffler delete... how are you liking that drone Hicompression? I am gonna do a hemholtz fix and get rid of that drone... no complaints on mine other than that...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
If you want to hear what they sound like...
i just did a little rubber laying... same setup as his... OBX no cats and muffler delete... how are you liking that drone Hicompression? I am gonna do a hemholtz fix and get rid of that drone... no complaints on mine other than that...
MillerTime...I have zero drone with the stock LS3 cat-back. Seriously!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Very nice! Congrats!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Very nice! Congrats!
Thanks! No check engine light yet either....knock on wood.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Damn...its terrible with the stock mufflerss removed... hemholtz here I come...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Okay..so on a personal note..congrats on the successful header install. However on the flipside, lets be honest. We all know they are made in China given the brands reputation. I can also tell because they are polished. You can't pay an American worker to hand polish headers and have them priced right. Lastly, look at the pictures, it is plain they copied a Kooks header (picture below). If you're gonna make cheap Chinese stuff, at least have the decencey to design it yourself. This is not a "everything is made in China thing"...this is about a overseas company stealing an American ones work, off shoring production and dumping it here. There are no free rides, and I am certain no one wants this to happen at their work place.

I am all for saving a buck..but I really don't like when people come with one of these headers and act like they are so great, and such a deal. Sure they are great because they copied the best product on the market, and sure they are cheap. Hell it costs nothing to pump them out between runs of Walmart lawn furniture with foreign materials and sell them on ebay. Not to mention no warranty and order support. As I have stated before, buying these, you are getting nothing more than a fake Rolex. I am sure my continued ranting will upset people..but it's the way it is. I would have no issues if this company would stop cheating, design their own product, properly support it and sell it like a real retail business. Stop the wink wink these are knock off Kooks on ebay crap. There are no free rides.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
^+1.

Supporting knock offs is such bad practice. Glad you are happy with the product, but it would not exist had a genuine (and American) company had not contributed the R&D required to develop a proven set of LT headers like that.

End of the day - these replicas are nothing but harmful to the development of new products.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Okay..so on a personal note..congrats on the successful header install. However on the flipside, lets be honest. We all know they are made in China given the brands reputation. I can also tell because they are polished. You can't pay an American worker to hand polish headers and have them priced right. Lastly, look at the pictures, it is plain they copied a Kooks header (picture below). If you're gonna make cheap Chinese stuff, at least have the decencey to design it yourself. This is not a "everything is made in China thing"...this is about a overseas company stealing an American ones work, off shoring production and dumping it here. There are no free rides, and I am certain no one wants this to happen at their work place.

I am all for saving a buck..but I really don't like when people come with one of these headers and act like they are so great, and such a deal. Sure they are great because they copied the best product on the market, and sure they are cheap. Hell it costs nothing to pump them out between runs of Walmart lawn furniture with foreign materials and sell them on ebay. Not to mention no warranty and order support. As I have stated before, buying these, you are getting nothing more than a fake Rolex. I am sure my continued ranting will upset people..but it's the way it is. I would have no issues if this company would stop cheating, design their own product, properly support it and sell it like a real retail business. Stop the wink wink these are knock off Kooks on ebay crap. There are no free rides.

Everyone has their own opinion...but I certainly would expect a little more professionalism from a forum sponsor, especially because you represent a company and not just an individual opinion. You have made your point SEVERAL times on here. Those of us that purchased these headers are MORE than aware that you do not like them for the reasons you listed above as well as several others listed previously in other threads. I respect your opinon, so please respect the fact that not everyone shares that same opinion and move on. Thanks

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Its Capitalism and globalization, thats just how it is.

BTW, nice install and congrats!! they look awesome.

Closed Thread