Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Convertible Audio Details

In case you haven't heard, I finally got my car. The car as a whole is sweet as hell. However, In my opinion, the sound system in it is even more disappointing than in the coupe I had. So the first night I had it, I pulled it in the garage and started tearing it apart to see if I could figure out some details. Here's what I know so far.

1. The amp in convertible is very similar, but it has a different part number. See my hypothosis below.
2. The factory subwoofer is located right behing the rear seat. I'll post some pics later. The subwoofer is a 10" boston and is dual 2ohm coils. It's a paper cone sub and when you crank it up, it barely moves. You can't even see it moving. Just kinda vibrates a little bit.
3. The rear speakers by the seat I haven't exposed yet so I don't know what I'll find there. Probaby a set of 6.5".
4. According to the wiring going to the sub, these are the same wires that go to the mid (sub) in the coupe 6x9. Therefore my hypothosis right now is that the difference in the amp is just rear crossover settings. I'm thinking that the wires in the coupe that power the rear tweeters are made full range in the vert and the other two sets power the dvc stock sub.

Eventually I'll pull the seat and plastic to see what the rear speakers are like. But for now I decided to focus on the subwoofer. I'll add some pics in here later and show what our progress and what we've done so far
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Do you think just swapping the sub will be a good improvement or will the new sub need a better amp?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Theres really no way the stock amp can push an aftermarket sub properly. So I think the amp should be changed out. Everyone who's done the amp swap on the coupe with our kit will attest to that. I am working on a few things for simple upgrades that would included something like the sub/mount, 5 channel amp and possibly an amp rack, along with our wiring harnesses.

I also have some bigger sub boxes planned but those will take me longer to finish. Will have to work around the top and also make sure it fits in the small trunk opening. Can't load these thru the pass thru like on the coupe lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
For sure, you're going to have a lot of eager people waiting your findings Steve!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Hope 5th gen convertible ppl are into audio upgrades. Seems like 4th genners weren't so much.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Hope 5th gen convertible ppl are into audio upgrades. Seems like 4th genners weren't so much.
Damn you! I was just checking out your website and have now started making a list of what sub and amp i might want to get since your wiring makes it so easy.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
I'm definitely interested in seeing what you find.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Well, here's what the factory sub looks like. Just a flimsy paper cone sub with a tiny magnet. The last photos show a mount we are working on to house the aftermarket in the factory location.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Wow...that stock sub is a POS!!!! Thanks for helping everybody out with this, Steve!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
zachi3

Drives: IOM 2SS Convertible
How many inches of mounting depth can a replacement subwoofer have before touching anything.
Or in other words: what's the mounting depth of the factory sub ?
zachi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachi3 View Post
How many inches of mounting depth can a replacement subwoofer have before touching anything.
Or in other words: what's the mounting depth of the factory sub ?
Factory job is like 3.5". There is 6.5 to possibly 7" of total depth available. More if you want to chop up your new car.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Axe

Drives: 2018 LS
The stock system kind of amazes me...in this day and age, is a decent sounding stereo really that expensive? I would almost think a manufacturer would have to pay more for a crappy sounding stereo from their supplier..."No, no, no! That sample you sent us has a decent amount of bottom end, absolutely not! Make it sound horrible and get back to us!"

Seriously, the fm radio in my bare bones, no ac, no pw, 2001 Chevy 3500 work truck has more bottom end then my 1LT/RS. I would be thrilled if my Camaros stereo sounded as good as my stereo at work. Kind of unbelievable.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
I am a total noob when it comes to car audio, but blasting my system is one of the main things I do in my vert, so I'm definitely looking to do whatever upgrades are needed to make it sound mean.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
The stock system kind of amazes me...in this day and age, is a decent sounding stereo really that expensive? I would almost think a manufacturer would have to pay more for a crappy sounding stereo from their supplier..."No, no, no! That sample you sent us has a decent amount of bottom end, absolutely not! Make it sound horrible and get back to us!"

Seriously, the fm radio in my bare bones, no ac, no pw, 2001 Chevy 3500 work truck has more bottom end then my 1LT/RS. I would be thrilled if my Camaros stereo sounded as good as my stereo at work. Kind of unbelievable.
Yeah, but the first time some whiny-ass got an ear-ache, they'd want to sue GM because their radio was to loud and didn't have Db restrictions; and you KNOW it would happen
pony is offline   Reply With Quote