Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
So I think I broke my Automatic Transmission...(10/22 update)

I did a 0-60 run yesterday, pulled over and shut the car off to wait for some friends. I start the car and we start to head out, but I noticed something strange while driving. While coasting, if I gave the car gas the engine would rev, but my speed wouldn't change. It was almost like I had the clutch down in a manual. So it would rev up, then awkwardly catch and lurch the entire car.

The car seemed fine under light throttle pressure, but anything even mildly hard and it would just rev. Another note, I couldn't reproduce this on the way home, it only happened on the way to the car show. There are no check engine indicators and I called Onstar to run a diagnostic and it came back clean.

I know the answer is to bring it back to the dealer (mine is in a different state, so I have to find another one I trust), but does anyone have any idea what this could be?

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."

Last edited by Croathlete; 10-22-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Sounds like the torque converter, also may involve the shift linkage, if the shift linkage isn't fully engaging it lets the torque converter slip more.

another rare possibility is bent blades in the impeller of the torque converter, i doubt it though.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It's toast! In my un-educated opinion.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
clubbdawg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - A6
Had a similar problem with my A6 . . .

After accelerating onto I-95, in 5th & 6th gear the torque converter would not lock. Called On-Star for diagnostics, but no codes. They connected me to a tech that went on to explain that the problem was not mechanical, but software related. I pulled over, shut the car off for 5 minutes, restarted the car, and have never seen the problem again.

Now have my TCM tuned by LMS and have had no problems. I love chirping the tires in first, second, (and sometimes) third gear.

I have never been a fan of the "well I guess the problem fixed itself" answer, but that is actually the case for me.

When in doubt, have the warranty service department check it out.
clubbdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Croathlete
Danny

Wow, well that might explain why I didn't see the problem on the way home. It was absolutely scary when it happened though. I'll drive it some more and if it never happens again, I guess I'm good...

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
With the increasingly electronic nature of these machines, we've got to start treating them like computers. For just about every issue of troubleshooting, the first step toward resolution is trying to restart the computer. Sometimes, that is enough to get all of the files working.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
Croathlete
Danny

Well, now I'm thinking it's not an electronic problem. I did a little test this morning. I put the car in manual mode and went through all the gears. There's definitely a problem with going from 3rd to 4th. I hit the "up shift" paddle and the car revs up in neutral for about 500 rpm's before actually shifting. This is light throttle; it's even worse under heavy acceleration. I think I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow.

Edit: I bought my car in PA. Can anyone recommend a service department in Long Island?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Matt TuneTime

Drives: 2008 G8 gt / 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Sounds like the torque converter, also may involve the shift linkage, if the shift linkage isn't fully engaging it lets the torque converter slip more.

another rare possibility is bent blades in the impeller of the torque converter, i doubt it though.
No way ... Stock stall way to tight even if you command a unlock you can hardly tell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
It's toast! In my un-educated opinion.
Doubt it unless defect ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Wow, well that might explain why I didn't see the problem on the way home. It was absolutely scary when it happened though. I'll drive it some more and if it never happens again, I guess I'm good...
Quote:
Well, now I'm thinking it's not an electronic problem. I did a little test this morning. I put the car in manual mode and went through all the gears. There's definitely a problem with going from 3rd to 4th. I hit the "up shift" paddle and the car revs up in neutral for about 500 rpm's before actually shifting. This is light throttle; it's even worse under heavy acceleration. I think I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow.

Edit: I bought my car in PA. Can anyone recommend a service department in Long Island?
What is done to your car ?
Matt TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Croathlete
Danny

Nothing besides exhaust diverters. Happens with them both open and closed, but didn't expect that to make a difference.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Matt TuneTime

Drives: 2008 G8 gt / 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Nothing besides exhaust diverters. Happens with them both open and closed, but didn't expect that to make a difference.
Go to dealer TCM reflash
Matt TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Croathlete
Danny

Will do. I really appreciate the help

Edit: Do you think that taking out the fuse for the TCM might help (similar to the ECM fix)? I have a few hours during work where I can leave the fuse out. I won't be able to get to a dealer until tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Croathlete
Danny

So I brought my car to HB Chevy yesterday. They first told me they could not reflash the TCM because it already had the latest program. Then they drove it for about half an hour to confirm my suspicion that the transmission was acting funny. He asked me to leave it so they can call GM and figure out what was wrong.

I get a call this afternoon from them telling me to pick up the car because they refuse to work on it. They said they should void my entire warranty because of my exhaust modification. Can they do this? What the heck does the transmission have to do with exhaust?

I need to find a dealership that knows what they're talking about. The car is drivable, but would like to figure out why the transmission is slipping/flaring and get it fixed.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
Take it to a new dealer for sure...there is no way the exhaust could affect your transmission, you should tell them that. Find a dealer that is more performance oriented.
LSXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Croathlete
Danny

Oh believe me, I went through the whole Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and they just answered with, "Well, we're not going to touch it."