Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
HOLDEN RETURNS TO THE US: CHEVROLET CAPRICE POLICE PATROL VEHICLE

Link to GMInsideNews article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsap View Post
Breaking: Chevrolet Caprice Cop Car!!
Holden is coming back to the U.S!
www.gminsidenews.com
October 5, 2009

DENVER – An all-new Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) will join the ranks of law enforcement departments across North America in 2011. It’s a modern, full-size, rear-drive sedan that will offer both V-8 and V-6 engines, as well as a host of specialized equipment and features.

Chevrolet made the announcement at the annual International Association of Chiefs of Police convention, in Denver, Colorado. The Caprice PPV will be available for ordering next year and will hit the streets in early 2011.

“The new Chevrolet Caprice police car is the right tool at the right time for law enforcement,” said Jim Campbell, general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. “We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the Crown Victoria in key areas.”

Vice President, Global Chevrolet Brand Brent Dewar added, “Along with Impala and Tahoe, the Caprice PPV gives agencies a greater range of choices for police and special service vehicles that are all available from Chevrolet.”

Unlike other police cars on the market, the Caprice PPV is not based on existing “civilian” passenger-car model sold in North America. It has been developed in key areas specifically for police duty, containing modern equipment and features:

Powerful 6.0L V-8 with fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability delivers expected best-in-class 0-60 acceleration (sub six seconds) and top speed; a V-6 engine will also be offered, beginning in the 2012 model year
  • Optional front-seat-only side curtain air bags allows a full-width rear-seat barrier for greater officer safety
  • Two trunk-mounted batteries, with one of them dedicated to powering various police equipment
  • Designed for five-passenger seating, meaning the upper-center section of the dashboard can be used for equipment mounting without the concern of air bag deployment interference
  • Compatibility with in-dash touch-screen computer technology
  • Special front seats designed for the long-term comfort of officers whose car is their effective office, including space that accommodates the bulk of a typical equipment belt

The front seats are sculpted to “pocket” the equipment belt, which greatly increases the comfort for a great range of police officer sizes. The foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces are designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt’s various items, too, allowing the officer’s back to rest properly on the seatback surface.

“The Chevrolet Caprice PPV’s seats represent a revolution in comfort and utility for officers who spend long hours in their car,” said Bob Demick, lead seat design manager. “The shape also enhances entry and egress, making it easier for officers to exit the vehicle quickly. The seatback bolsters, for example, have been purposefully contoured to help pocket the equipment on the belt, which includes the gun, Taser and handcuffs, which rest comfortably in the sculpted lower bolsters. That also increases the longevity of the trim cover surface.”

Along with comfort, the materials used in the seats were also carefully selected. High-wear materials were chosen to stand up to long hours of everyday use, while breathability, long-term durability and ease of cleaning were also important criteria.

Engineers worked on several iterations of the seat, testing a couple of versions in the field to get real-world feedback from police officers, who used prototype seats in their cruisers for a month. Their input helped determine the final design.

Class-leading space

The Caprice PPV is based on GM’s global rear-drive family of vehicles that also underpins the Chevy Camaro. It uses the longest wheelbase of the architecture – 118.5 inches (3,010 mm) – along with a four-wheel independent suspension that delivers responsive high-performance driving characteristics that are crucial in some police scenarios.

Caprice PPV’s long wheelbase also contributes to exceptional spaciousness. Compared to the primary competition, its advantages include:

• A larger interior volume – 112 cubic feet / 3,172 liters – than the Ford Crown Victoria, including nearly 4 inches (101 mm) more rear legroom
  • The barrier between the front seat and rear seat is positioned farther rearward, allowing for full front-seat travel and greater recline for officer comfort
  • At 18 cubic feet (535 liters) free space (beyond battery located in trunk), the Caprice’s trunk volume is large enough to accommodate a full-size spare tire under a flat load surface in the trunk storage area.

The Caprice’s 6.0-liter V-8 is rated at an estimated 355 horsepower (265 kW) with an estimated 384 lb-ft of torque. It is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission that is performance-calibrated for police duty. Additional, police car-specific powertrain and vehicle system features include:

• High-output alternator
  • Engine oil, transmission and power steering coolers
  • Standard 18-inch steel wheels with bolt-on center caps
  • Large, four-wheel disc brakes with heavy-duty brake pads
  • Heavy-duty suspension components
  • Police-calibrated stability control system
  • Driver information center in the instrument cluster with selectable speed tracking feature.

A host of complementary features are also offered, including special equipment packages such as spotlights; lockouts for the power windows and locks; and an “undercover” street-appearance package (9C3).

To enable more room for interior equipment, the standard radio can be relocated to the trunk, allowing for an in-dash, touch-screen computer to be used.

Caprice on patrol: A brief history

Chevrolet’s history with law enforcement is almost as old as the brand itself. Police departments have used Chevy sedans as police cars for decades, ordering them with basic equipment and powerful V-8 engines – including some special engines that weren’t available in regular-production models, such as the 1959 Biscayne that was offered with up to 315 horsepower.

The full-size Chevrolets joined the force in 1976. All Caprice police cars – including the new, 2011 model – have carried the 9C1 order code. Here’s a quick look back at Chevys on patrol:
1959 – Chevy Biscayne police model capable of 135 mph with specially tuned, police-only version of the 348-cubic-inch V-8 engine

1965 – The new “big-block” 396 engine is offered in Biscayne and Bel Air police cars, making them among the most powerful on patrol; a 427 V-8 was added in 1966

1976 – The 9C1 order code is given for the first time to a full-size Chevy police car package. It carries the Impala name.

1977 – The full-size Chevy is downsized. The 9C1 police package is retained, as is the Impala name.

1986 – The Caprice name replaces Impala, as the car is updated for the mid- and late-1980s – including the option of a powerful, 5.7-liter small-block V-8.

1991 – A new-generation Caprice is launched, with the 9C1 police car still on the beat.

1994 – The 260-horsepower (194 Nm) LT1 V-8 engine is offered in the Caprice 9C1, making it one of the fastest full-size police cars ever offered.

1996 – Caprice police car production ends, as GM’s full-size, body-on-frame car architecture is discontinued.

2011 – The Caprice PPV returns to active duty.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ha-HA!!

Exxxxcelllent.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65

I think if I ever get pulled over by one, I may have to ask the officer if I can see his car.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I think if I ever get pulled over by one, I may have to ask the officer if I can see his car.

I was just gonna say..."felons beware, this ain't no Crown-vic chasing you."
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
...only you, Fen.

Not to mention once one of these hits the auction lots you'd probably snatch one up, right? You wouldn't be the only one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I was just gonna say..."felons beware, this ain't no Crown-vic chasing you."
God, channeling 4chan again tonight. That brought to mind this:

Fen would want that PPV to do this to a car if it transformed..

Last edited by Zabo; 10-04-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

Holy hell....

I need to see one of these.

GM, please send one to San Antonio care of "ME" and I'd be happy to test it for you. I am in and out of the car all day long. I'd be HAPPY to test one!!!! (and would probably keep it!!!)

...and a sincere thanks to GM for bringing it back. I bet we get into these in the years to come.

Wonder what price is compared to the Crown Vics.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Holy hell....

I need to see one of these.

GM, please send one to San Antonio care of "ME" and I'd be happy to test it for you. I am in and out of the car all day long. I'd be HAPPY to test one!!!! (and would probably keep it!!!)

...and a sincere thanks to GM for bringing it back. I bet we get into these in the years to come.

Wonder what price is compared to the Crown Vics.
I totally forgot..

We all are going to effing HAET you if you wind up with one, Tag. Seriously..

I also noticed they kept the E-brake from the Commodore. <_<

I wonder if there's ever going to be a HSP version with an LS3/LSA beefed for police duty..
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65

So let's think...

Tag's going to get a 355 HP RWD Full-size sedan to drive around at work...

And a 426 HP RWD sports car to drive around off-duty.

Damn. That's 781 HP in one day.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
So let's think...

Tag's going to get a 355 HP RWD Full-size sedan to drive around at work...

And a 426 HP RWD sports car to drive around off-duty.

Damn. That's 781 HP in one day.
But what if they decide to up the ante and stick the LS3 in the PPV too?

Only GM fanboys would be excited about an answer to the P71.. <_<
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
FenwickHockey65

Video of what Tag will be cruising around in in a few years.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Video of what Tag will be cruising around in in a few years.

..Aww.. I wanted a better exhaust note but caught myself. It's a police cruiser. Why bother.

Coulda got on it more.. got a small tease of that cop motor (L76)..
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #12
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65

How long this car actually is...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
About time something replaces all of those dang Chargers.