Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
CHANGING THE STEERING WHEEL (Not for the faint of heart)

My car is a 1LT (no C&C), I really wanted a leather steering wheel and hoped to get the audio/phone controls to work too (but that's not so simple)
Again forgive my weak iphone pics, but here I present to you:
HOW TO CHANGE STEERING WHEEL
*****DISCLAIMER***** I would suggest you not attempt this if you arent confident in your ability to be strong but delicate and confident in dismantling autos.. ++Dont be cheap, you could break a part that is a) impossible to get, and b) not super cheap. A Dealer shouldnt charge you more than 1 -1/2 hours labor for this++++ I'll share my horror story at the end.

Release the airbag. (this is by far the trickiest part)
on the right and left sides of the steering wheel there are two small holes.

Find a strong tool that will fit through those holes, I recommend an allen wrench, I used a strong vinyl coated wire hanger.

Starting on the right side push the tool through the hole till you fell it catch on a spring that you can move. (There are no pics this all happens in a place where I can't show, sorry) The feeling of pushing this spring with your tool is unique (lol, really where is my mind) You will know when you are pushing it. While pushing the spring pull gently on the airbag......gently.......GENTLY (but strong) releasing the right side plastic clip on the bag.
Switch to the left side and repeat the process
There is a Yellow Y Cable that connects to the back of the bag. This cable is less than a foot long so pulling too hard while releasing the bag could cause you to destroy the clockspring which is the main control center of your steering wheel electronics. Be careful and you'll be OK
release the two clips from the back of the airbag Put the airbag aside in a safe place.
Using a Torx47 ratchet release the center bolt from the wheel. Pull the clip for the steering wheel electronics, and the wheel will pull right off the steering column, no puller neccesary.
carefully feed the airbag wires back out of the wheel as you pull it off.
Here's a great a view of the removed wheel exposing the delicate clockspring

repeat the process in reverse and everything should snap back right into place

Last edited by VT2CA; 11-26-2009 at 09:04 AM.
VT2CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
So, what did you replace it with?
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
VT2CA

Put on a leather SS Wheel with audio controls here's a fuzzy view:

Plan to have dealer program radio for steering wheel controls to be active
Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
VT2CA

MY HORROR STORY (Destroyed Clockspring)

I pulled too hard while releasing my airbag and it ripped the wiring right out of the clockspring. Here is a viewed of my destroyed clockspring

This part is super delicate and controls not only the airbag but all the electronics in the steering wheel.

I am currently on backorder waiting 3+ weeks to get this part from my dealer, 2 dealers in the US had this part in stock and both are for customers awaiting install, they shared with me their experience in also being on backorder waiting 2+ months for the part. I ended up paying 2X Gm list price to get this part from the same dismantler who I got my steering wheel from, he shared with me his experience dismantling 5 cars and having only 1 of these left undamaged in the end. This is a delicate part (Did I say that?) I really hope if you attempt to change your wheel that you value not only how rare this part is but how important it is to the airbag and steering functionality of your vehicle. here is the pic of the coveted clockspring installed.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
Put on a leather SS Wheel with audio controls here's a fuzzy view:

Plan to have dealer program radio for steering wheel controls to be active
have you had a chance to program the controls?
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION, be sure to follow all factory safety precautions. Air bags can deploy in your face and cause injury or worse. Unless you know what you are doing it is not worth it to take chances. Pay the dealer or any competent body shop or Audio/dash shop. Just my professional 2 cents.
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
I pulled too hard while releasing my airbag and it ripped the wiring right out of the clockspring. Here is a viewed of my destroyed clockspring

This part is super delicate and controls not only the airbag but all the electronics in the steering wheel.

I am currently on backorder waiting 3+ weeks to get this part from my dealer, 2 dealers in the US had this part in stock and both are for customers awaiting install, they shared with me their experience in also being on backorder waiting 2+ months for the part. I ended up paying 2X Gm list price to get this part from the same dismantler who I got my steering wheel from, he shared with me his experience dismantling 5 cars and having only 1 of these left undamaged in the end. This is a delicate part (Did I say that?) I really hope if you attempt to change your wheel that you value not only how rare this part is but how important it is to the airbag and steering functionality of your vehicle. here is the pic of the coveted clockspring installed.

lol
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION, be sure to follow all factory safety precautions. Air bags can deploy in your face and cause injury or worse. Unless you know what you are doing it is not worth it to take chances. Pay the dealer or any competent body shop or Audio/dash shop. Just my professional 2 cents.
Always disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes, this will allow time for the power to bleed off and make the airbag system safe to work around...
it still pays to be careful around them. I had the one out of my HHR steering wheel about 5 times already with no problems..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I did this mod on my Honda Element. Replaced the standard wheel with the Pilot leather wheel and had no issues. I too disconnected the battery first before attempting this mod. Failure to do can cause the bad to go off in your face. Replacement ain't cheap.
I want to replace my 1LT wheel as well with a leather SS wheel but my question that I haven't been able to have answered is whether or not the wheel is plug and play. By this I mean, are there radio controls already there like for the SS? I can't see doing this if the controls are inop. For the Element, and since I had the EX-P model, it was just a matter of pulling the wheel, unpluggin the old connections and connecting the new ones, tighten up the center locking nut or hub, airbag backin place and then using the special tool to tighen the screws on the underside of the wheel and reconnect the battery. Never an issue but again, I want the leather and function and I'd like to have the SS removed since I don't want to perpetrate.
Any answers on the whether all Camaro's are wired for this wheel would help.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That's a great mod, but other people considering this should look into products by DSV Customs. They have a great carbon fiber option that I will probably install in my Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1999 camaro
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
That's a great mod, but other people considering this should look into products by DSV Customs. They have a great carbon fiber option that I will probably install in my Camaro.
this is actually something i've been thinking about doing once I get my ss, i wanna install a custom steering wheel so I can do something like the steering wheel bumblebee had in transformers, but then i'd lose all the stuff that the stock wheel has, any solutions anybody knows of?
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
This is my next mod. I just bought an SS wheel for $140 delivered. Should have it within the next 7days and I'll be doing this myself. Can't wait as there is nothing like the feel of a leather wheel. Do this on my Honda Element was pretty easy. I'm just wondering about the battery disconnect. Will under the hood suffice or will I also have to disconnect in the trunk as well?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Just do the one in the trunk. Disconnect the ground cable directly from the battery, don't worry about anything under the hood. That way you KNOW there can be no power to anything.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Taking the airbag off was very easy
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote