View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #39
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
It's so true gov regulates way past the point of making products worse. Manufacturers usually won't mind if it works as a cost hurdle that hurts the competition more. GM should mind, because it'll kill their bread & butter.

Do not buy into the excuse making against a new 3800. Current smallblocks can, so can a 3.8 if they want that size.

My main daily is still a diesel for now. I used to let the motor bog down, and learned rich & cold are bad for DPFs. Maxing the highway percent of miles, or alternately giving it more air in a lower than holdable gear helps. Yes, that sacrifices mpg. Then, you're at the mercy of the DEF system, with multiple fluid heaters and 2 NOx sensors, hoping to avoid a fault-forced limp mode count-down. An un-necessary, dangerous limp-mode.

A diesel range extender is a better idea than a big-battery electric truck. It would need no DEF system, not run lean with the battery as a load buffer. Then, an 8-lug wheel electric truck might actually have 2500 capability.
On the FIRST DAY of ownership my Colorado diesel threw a code for "Bad DEF". Then it happened two more times within the next year. Dealerships were able to clear the code but could find nothing wrong sensor-wise. Problem was what if I'm out in the middle of west Texas (which I occasionally was) and it decides to throw another bogus code? You get 100 miles before it shuts down. It's very easy to be more than 100 miles from much of anything in the western states.

Rather than deal with that uncertainty I tuned out DEF but WTF were they thinking when they basically shut the f^cking truck down after only 100 miles?!?! Especially when the trucks software and/or sensors are evidently pretty unreliable. Really pissed me off.

Next truck will probably be a Tacoma.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote