Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 09:33 PM   #1
LT14EVA

Drives: Camaro
Used f150 vs ram 1500

May buy one of these used trucks.
Which one would you get and why?

2018 F150 - 50k miles, 2.7l, xlt. Ok hp, great torque.

2022 Ram - 50k miles, 3.6, big horn. Ok hp poor torque.

Will never tow.
Thoughts?
LT14EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:29 AM   #2
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Personally I would get the F-150. I will 100% admit that is a bit of brand bias, but you couldn't pay me to own a Dodge. If I was in the full size truck market, it would be either a GM or Ford or nothing. Buddy of mine is a Dodge guy for trucks, every truck he has owned has just been one thing after the other with issues. I know all makes have their quirks and issues but I have seen first hand to many people have issues with Dodge trucks that I would never consider one.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:13 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
If was never going to tow, I'd be looking at mid-size trucks that'll get better mileage with similar power-trains. If it I was given ONLY these two truck to choose from, the Dodge is 4 model years ahead, and should be better appointed with features. Sure, the 2.7 turbo makes more power, but it's a far more complex engine with a lot more to go wrong - and if we're just cruising around it's moot, the 8spd in the Dodge will always have a right gear for the job. I have a few of those 3.6L Chrysler's now in vans, and if you take care of them, they run out past 200k miles pretty well. I just had a Gladiator for a rental a few weeks ago, and that was a 3.6/8spd combo. It was a pleasure to drive (regarding the driveline - I've never met a Wranger-eque jeep that was quiet or comfortable inside), and did well lugging around in the dunes of North Carolina's outer banks.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:18 AM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'd lean towards the Ford. I'm unimpressed with Stellantis quality now that they're in charge. The Ram is actually a nice truck at face value, but I also hate the 3.6, and again, some quality issues. The RAM is probably built in Mexico and the Ford is probably built in the US, and I have preference there too.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:47 PM   #5
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Personally I would get the F-150. I will 100% admit that is a bit of brand bias, but you couldn't pay me to own a Dodge. If I was in the full size truck market, it would be either a GM or Ford or nothing. Buddy of mine is a Dodge guy for trucks, every truck he has owned has just been one thing after the other with issues. I know all makes have their quirks and issues but I have seen first hand to many people have issues with Dodge trucks that I would never consider one.
I hear you. Without a doubt there is definitely more demand for the f150. That gen of rams did have many issues but supposedly they were resolved by 2022.
Much to think about. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
If was never going to tow, I'd be looking at mid-size trucks that'll get better mileage with similar power-trains. If it I was given ONLY these two truck to choose from, the Dodge is 4 model years ahead, and should be better appointed with features. Sure, the 2.7 turbo makes more power, but it's a far more complex engine with a lot more to go wrong - and if we're just cruising around it's moot, the 8spd in the Dodge will always have a right gear for the job. I have a few of those 3.6L Chrysler's now in vans, and if you take care of them, they run out past 200k miles pretty well. I just had a Gladiator for a rental a few weeks ago, and that was a 3.6/8spd combo. It was a pleasure to drive (regarding the driveline - I've never met a Wranger-eque jeep that was quiet or comfortable inside), and did well lugging around in the dunes of North Carolina's outer banks.
I really wanted a midsize to work out for me, but we would be using the bed for mountain bikes and a bunch of camping gear. I really would like to have that 6 1/2 foot be if possible. Yes, that ram pentistar engine is no joke as far as reliability from what I’ve read.

Last edited by LT14EVA; 05-09-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:06 PM   #7
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I'd lean towards the Ford. I'm unimpressed with Stellantis quality now that they're in charge. The Ram is actually a nice truck at face value, but I also hate the 3.6, and again, some quality issues. The RAM is probably built in Mexico and the Ford is probably built in the US, and I have preference there too.
I know of some issues with the hemi but thought the pentistar was safe. Will do some more research. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2024, 09:49 PM   #8
amanda23

Drives: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT14EVA View Post
May buy one of these used trucks.
Which one would you get and why?

2018 F150 - 50k miles, 2.7l, xlt. Ok hp, great torque.

2022 Ram - 50k miles, 3.6, big horn. Ok hp poor torque.

Will never tow.
Thoughts?
I'd go with the 2022 Ram even though it has lower torque. Moreover, a 2022 model year might mean more safety tech and creature comforts.
amanda23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:48 PM   #9
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda23 View Post
I'd go with the 2022 Ram even though it has lower torque. Moreover, a 2022 model year might mean more safety tech and creature comforts.
I just may, thanks!
Old 05-11-2024, 07:46 AM   #10
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I know of some issues with the hemi but thought the pentistar was safe. Will do some more research. Thanks!
The Pentastar is a generally reliable engine, but it’s had its share of problems over the years. Head casting issues in the early years which requires replacement of heads. The other well known issue is the cam phasers see premature wear and fail early, a problem which is apparently still happening. Hear about it from the Jeep guys with 3.6’s. Overall, that’s a very small percentage of motors, though, and those problems wouldn’t specifically steer me away from the RAM. The overall package of “Stellantis” would. But that’s just preference.

The other reason I’d at least check out the 2.7 in the Ford is seat of the pants feel. The Pentastar will need to rev high to make power. The Ford’s turbo will give it to you low and strong. The Pentastar feels like a dinky V6 in a full-size. The 2.7 only sounds like one but packs a punch! I’d drive both, then make a decision.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:11 AM   #11
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The Pentastar is a generally reliable engine, but it’s had its share of problems over the years. Head casting issues in the early years which requires replacement of heads. The other well known issue is the cam phasers see premature wear and fail early, a problem which is apparently still happening. Hear about it from the Jeep guys with 3.6’s. Overall, that’s a very small percentage of motors, though, and those problems wouldn’t specifically steer me away from the RAM. The overall package of “Stellantis” would. But that’s just preference.

The other reason I’d at least check out the 2.7 in the Ford is seat of the pants feel. The Pentastar will need to rev high to make power. The Ford’s turbo will give it to you low and strong. The Pentastar feels like a dinky V6 in a full-size. The 2.7 only sounds like one but packs a punch! I’d drive both, then make a decision.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, best advise is to drive both!
Old 05-12-2024, 10:09 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
All MFG/Vehicles will have issues.

My buddy had a F350 had to do a cab off to fix the motor. Then he traded that for a F150 2.7 and had to have the motor replaced, I believe for coolant leaking? Everyone has a "story".

The LT1 in my 2020 Camaro blew up.

I would personally go with a NA RAM. A 2022 RAM Big Horn is a damn nice truck. And that V6 is solid. I love the Etorque. You will not win any races but hopefully that is not why you are buying it.

EDIT and the suspension with rear coils is cushy Yet hauls and tows fine.

For good measure, here is my 2017 Laramie towing my Denali 289RK
Attached Images

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.

Last edited by FarmerFran; 05-12-2024 at 11:40 AM.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #13
LT14EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
All MFG/Vehicles will have issues.

My buddy had a F350 had to do a cab off to fix the motor. Then he traded that for a F150 2.7 and had to have the motor replaced, I believe for coolant leaking? Everyone has a "story".

The LT1 in my 2020 Camaro blew up.

I would personally go with a NA RAM. A 2022 RAM Big Horn is a damn nice truck. And that V6 is solid. I love the Etorque. You will not win any races but hopefully that is not why you are buying it.

EDIT and the suspension with rear coils is cushy Yet hauls and tows fine.

For good measure, here is my 2017 Laramie towing my Denali 289RK
Great feedback, thanks. Do you know what year that 2.7 was?
Nice pic!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:21 PM   #14
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Great feedback, thanks. Do you know what year that 2.7 was?
Nice pic!
Asking now, the COVID time warp still has my recent years all screwed up.

LMAO, he just replied "2016, will never buy another Ford"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote