Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 01:06 PM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
My Equinox with a 1.5L Turbo gets 24MPG. WHAT A JOKE!!!

If it had a Buick 3.8, it would get at least 27! My 2002 Park Avenue got 29.
Is that city driving only or what? That's not average.

We had a 2018 GMC Terrain with the 1.5 and the 9 speed auto (nice combo by the way, although pretty slow off the line) and it regularly returned well over 30mpg combined in that thing with our type of driving, which is a combination of city, highway, and some paved country roads.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:12 PM   #44
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
The base engine on the rear drive SR extended cab is 228 hp.

When you order the TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual double cab you get the 270 hp engine with 310 lb/ft tq.

The top of the line hybrid has 320 hp.

So in the TRD Off-Road with the manual you do get good power.
Ahh...you are correct. I see that now. I went to the Toyota build and price page before I wrote that last comment and could have sworn it said the base engine on the TRD Off-Road with the manual. But now I'm seeing what you are saying. Good deal.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:48 PM   #45
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with the engines themselves. The actual engines are reliable and towing ability is still superior.

I’m talking about all the other added crap beyond the DEF. Have you actually seen the complete fuel and emission system of any of your modern diesels? I mean those built in the last 10 years, not 20 years ago. The DPF (diesel particulate filters, essentially their new catalytic converters) alone is about $7k for the part without labor and those things are going south especially on commercial Ram/Sprinters and like crazy, just after the warranty is out. They clog up when idling.
A DPF for a 2.8L Chevy Colorado is like <$1,000 and one for a 6.6 Duramax is $2400 on the expensive side. Other DPF's for other common trucks are less money. Labor is just welding it up like a cat.

I've never heard of one clogging with regular use and regen cycles. Maybe early in a model cycle, GM has adjusted the regen frequency but that was a long time ago.

The DPF is post-manifold as is "DEF". The additional equipment for the engine is the addition of an EGR, similar to how gas engines have had EGR for a long time.

In the last 10 years I've had a GM 2.8 LWN diesel and a 2021+ Cummins B9. Also a 6.6 2006+ LLY Duramax with DPF, but that was pre-SCR.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:39 PM   #46
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
A DPF for a 2.8L Chevy Colorado is like <$1,000 and one for a 6.6 Duramax is $2400 on the expensive side. Other DPF's for other common trucks are less money. Labor is just welding it up like a cat.

I've never heard of one clogging with regular use and regen cycles. Maybe early in a model cycle, GM has adjusted the regen frequency but that was a long time ago.

The DPF is post-manifold as is "DEF". The additional equipment for the engine is the addition of an EGR, similar to how gas engines have had EGR for a long time.

In the last 10 years I've had a GM 2.8 LWN diesel and a 2021+ Cummins B9. Also a 6.6 2006+ LLY Duramax with DPF, but that was pre-SCR.
This is just one diesel mechanic I’ve been following, but they all are saying pretty much the same thing:

https://youtu.be/sdidfssA6dA?si=9TMGDK-DWM2cWvb9

You might be having good luck or the way you drive and maintain your vehicles is excellent. Not doubting that. But in general, for the mass market and commercial, diesel has become untenable. Especially for a business.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:54 PM   #47
Evergreen6

Quote:
This is just one diesel mechanic I’ve been following, but they all are saying pretty much the same thing:

https://youtu.be/sdidfssA6dA?si=9TMGDK-DWM2cWvb9

You might be having good luck or the way you drive and maintain your vehicles is excellent. Not doubting that. But in general, for the mass market and commercial, diesel has become untenable. Especially for a business.
Probably time to switch to EV then if diesel is apparently so problematic.

Otherwise, companies seem to be surviving just fine with millions of heavy diesel semi-tractors and medium duty trucks on the road with billions of miles driven on diesel engines with DPF, SCR, and EGR. I wonder what their secret is to keeping their fleets on the road. Modern commercial trucks are pretty reliable to start with.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:39 PM   #48
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Probably time to switch to EV then if diesel is apparently so problematic.

Otherwise, companies seem to be surviving just fine with millions of heavy diesel semi-tractors and medium duty trucks on the road with billions of miles driven on diesel engines with DPF, SCR, and EGR. I wonder what their secret is to keeping their fleets on the road. Modern commercial trucks are pretty reliable to start with.
Yeah I really don’t even want to think of the overhead companies have now to maintain big rigs and OTR trucks.

Probably a big contributor to the fact truckers wages are down from what they used to be.

https://www.fenderbender.com/running...e-to-customers
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-09-2024, 04:46 PM   #49
Evergreen6

Quote:
Yeah I really don’t even want to think of the overhead companies have now to maintain big rigs and OTR trucks.

Probably a big contributor to the fact truckers wages are down from what they used to be.

https://www.fenderbender.com/running...e-to-customers
That doesn't make sense to me. There's a truck driver shortage, still, and driver wages have gone up over the last two years. Only thing I can gather is that diesel maintenance expense doesn't seem to be having an effect.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:14 AM   #50
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
It’s not the displacement that was the problem, it was the engine architecture that dated back to 1962. It had been refined and improved to the point nothing further could be done to improve emissions.

GM’s current Gen V small block design debuted in 2014 as an all new engine design. So it meets current emission standards.
That has been my point about displacement. And then the 3.6 should have never existed. There already is a genV V6 and there was no reason for smaller there either.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:37 AM   #51
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Is that city driving only or what? That's not average.

We had a 2018 GMC Terrain with the 1.5 and the 9 speed auto (nice combo by the way, although pretty slow off the line) and it regularly returned well over 30mpg combined in that thing with our type of driving, which is a combination of city, highway, and some paved country roads.

Highway. I drive a lot for work.

By grandpa had a 1990's Olds 98 and he got 31MPG in that thing!
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:55 AM   #52
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Damn that's what my Bronco gets and its shaped like a brick.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:30 AM   #53
olrocker

Quote:
Highway. I drive a lot for work.

By grandpa had a 1990's Olds 98 and he got 31MPG in that thing!
People forget how well GM geared the overdrives and final drive ratios in the old 4 speed automatics.

Not only did the full-size H and C-body 3800s routinely get over 30 MPG highway, so did LS1 equipped Corvettes and F-Bodies.

My Dad was from Greenville SC, and when I was a kid we always drove down from Cleveland for a couple weeks in summer in my Mom’s ‘88 Delta 88. Through the ups and downs of the Smokies all along I-77. she always reset the trip odometer when filling up and she routinely got 450+ miles when it was time to fill up at just before the low fuel light came on.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #54
Evergreen6

Quote:

For the 400 miles I had the Equinox over the last few days, it was getting about 31mpg. LT/1.5 Turbo/AWD. And it takes 87 octane. Yeah!

It reminds me in size of an S10 Blazer and feels about as fast too. Those old 4.3's guzzled fuel, all wheezing 190hp. Mine only got 16-17 mpg even when it was fairly new.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:25 PM   #55
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
]
Companies have profit margins to maintain. This just gets passed on to the customer and contributes to inflation.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:31 PM   #56
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Equinox and S10 Blazer are apples and oranges. A friend of mine used his S-Blazer in heavier snow storms or to tow his 240Z. My S10 pickup was easily better on fuel unloaded. He hated the Equinox he had for a bit.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote