Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Another Bad Paint Issues Car From First 2000 Held In Michigan (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29737)

Jason 98 TA 06-27-2009 10:12 PM

Another Bad Paint Issues Car From First 2000 Held In Michigan

Guys I have one of the 2000 cars that was on quality hold in Michigan. It arrived with bad spots all over it that has burned through the clear-coat. Did all these cars have this damage??

Vash 06-27-2009 11:50 PM

Never heard of that. Only a few cars where damaged and those mostly from transport.

Pics pls. Good luck on the car sounds like it probably will need a full paint job.

bluch 06-27-2009 11:51 PM

THATS IT, I AM CANCELING MY ORDER

2SSJIM 06-28-2009 03:49 AM

I had a few bird crap spots on mine! nothing a good waxing/polishing won't take care of!

TheNetGarage 06-28-2009 04:53 AM

:needpics:

Supermans 06-28-2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA (Post 627216)
Guys I have one of the 2000 cars that was on quality hold in Michigan. It arrived with bad spots all over it that has burned through the clear-coat. Did all these cars have this damage??

Take a picture.. Did you sign away the car before inspecting it yourself? Was the damage apparent at pickup? Let us know but plz take some pictures as well.

speedster 06-28-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

FYI - I had the same thing on mine. (VIN 1597 - 81 days in QC) This issue is recognized by GM. It is the equivalent of having bird crap left on your car for a while. It is small spots that cannot be wiped off. Basically the depth in the topcoat is on par with rubbing compound swirling. This occurred during QC storage.

The official GM corrective action is for the dealer (covered by warranty) to lightly polish and re-wax the finish and it DOES work. :) Hey, GM will take care of the cost to have a professional perform a full cut and buff on YOUR CAR and it will a show car when done, so take advantage of it. I have a couple of basic pics in another thread.

gotpball44 06-28-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 627805)
FYI - I had the same thing on mine. (VIN 1597 - 81 days in QC) This issue is recognized by GM. It is the equivalent of having bird crap left on your car for a while. It is small spots that cannot be wiped off. Basically the depth in the topcoat is on par with rubbing compound swirling. This occurred during QC storage.

The official GM corrective action is for the dealer (covered by warranty) to lightly polish and re-wax the finish and it DOES work. :) Hey, GM will take care of the cost to have a professional perform a full cut and buff on YOUR CAR and it will a show car when done, so take advantage of it. I have a couple of basic pics in another thread.

but after they do that, you will have a thinner clear coat than everyone else. You never want to color sand and buff factory paint because its thin already to start with. Yea it would look nice when you get it, but then if you decide that you want a detail job later on to remove all the swirl marks, more layers of clear coming off. Now its super thin. Well thats what i learned at Meguiars.

speedster 06-28-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotpball44 (Post 628775)
but after they do that, you will have a thinner clear coat than everyone else. You never want to color sand and buff factory paint because its thin already to start with. Yea it would look nice when you get it, but then if you decide that you want a detail job later on to remove all the swirl marks, more layers of clear coming off. Now its super thin. Well thats what i learned at Meguiars.

I agree with you about the thinner clear coat. I have a different scenario. Going to have quite a bit of work done on the car, so I assume it will probably get scratched along the way. Had them leave the factory stripes off since those will be painted on later. Prior to that we will check the finish. Add more black base if need be, then stripes, then a full 3-4 coats of clear.

ss rs camaro 06-30-2009 06:29 AM

My car goes in next week for a wet sand,to get these marks out wish me luck.

warmage 07-05-2009 02:22 AM

idk how ppl can stand this , you buy a new car to get it sanded !

i would demand for a new car >.> , its a damn new car for god sake !

CamaroDreams07 07-05-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmage (Post 649556)
idk how ppl can stand this , you buy a new car to get it sanded !

i would demand for a new car >.> , its a damn new car for god sake !

Hm go get it sanded or start all over after already waiting so long??

warmage 07-06-2009 12:47 PM

if its me i will wait , that's alot of cash on the car

i rather have a new car that i will need to sand 2 years later , not befor i even get to use it !

i mean come on the car not gona run away

NAHURRY 07-09-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

what exactly did the spots look like??