Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Another Bad Paint Issues Car From First 2000 Held In Michigan

Guys I have one of the 2000 cars that was on quality hold in Michigan. It arrived with bad spots all over it that has burned through the clear-coat. Did all these cars have this damage??
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Never heard of that. Only a few cars where damaged and those mostly from transport.

Pics pls. Good luck on the car sounds like it probably will need a full paint job.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
THATS IT, I AM CANCELING MY ORDER

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I had a few bird crap spots on mine! nothing a good waxing/polishing won't take care of!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
TheNetGarage
We Sell Vinyl!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
TheNetGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Guys I have one of the 2000 cars that was on quality hold in Michigan. It arrived with bad spots all over it that has burned through the clear-coat. Did all these cars have this damage??
Take a picture.. Did you sign away the car before inspecting it yourself? Was the damage apparent at pickup? Let us know but plz take some pictures as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
FYI - I had the same thing on mine. (VIN 1597 - 81 days in QC) This issue is recognized by GM. It is the equivalent of having bird crap left on your car for a while. It is small spots that cannot be wiped off. Basically the depth in the topcoat is on par with rubbing compound swirling. This occurred during QC storage.

The official GM corrective action is for the dealer (covered by warranty) to lightly polish and re-wax the finish and it DOES work. Hey, GM will take care of the cost to have a professional perform a full cut and buff on YOUR CAR and it will a show car when done, so take advantage of it. I have a couple of basic pics in another thread.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
FYI - I had the same thing on mine. (VIN 1597 - 81 days in QC) This issue is recognized by GM. It is the equivalent of having bird crap left on your car for a while. It is small spots that cannot be wiped off. Basically the depth in the topcoat is on par with rubbing compound swirling. This occurred during QC storage.

The official GM corrective action is for the dealer (covered by warranty) to lightly polish and re-wax the finish and it DOES work. Hey, GM will take care of the cost to have a professional perform a full cut and buff on YOUR CAR and it will a show car when done, so take advantage of it. I have a couple of basic pics in another thread.
but after they do that, you will have a thinner clear coat than everyone else. You never want to color sand and buff factory paint because its thin already to start with. Yea it would look nice when you get it, but then if you decide that you want a detail job later on to remove all the swirl marks, more layers of clear coming off. Now its super thin. Well thats what i learned at Meguiars.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
but after they do that, you will have a thinner clear coat than everyone else. You never want to color sand and buff factory paint because its thin already to start with. Yea it would look nice when you get it, but then if you decide that you want a detail job later on to remove all the swirl marks, more layers of clear coming off. Now its super thin. Well thats what i learned at Meguiars.
I agree with you about the thinner clear coat. I have a different scenario. Going to have quite a bit of work done on the car, so I assume it will probably get scratched along the way. Had them leave the factory stripes off since those will be painted on later. Prior to that we will check the finish. Add more black base if need be, then stripes, then a full 3-4 coats of clear.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
ss rs camaro

Drives: blk ss rs
My car goes in next week for a wet sand,to get these marks out wish me luck.
ss rs camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
warmage

Drives: land cruiser 2003
idk how ppl can stand this , you buy a new car to get it sanded !

i would demand for a new car >.> , its a damn new car for god sake !
warmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmage View Post
idk how ppl can stand this , you buy a new car to get it sanded !

i would demand for a new car >.> , its a damn new car for god sake !
Hm go get it sanded or start all over after already waiting so long??
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
warmage

Drives: land cruiser 2003
if its me i will wait , that's alot of cash on the car

i rather have a new car that i will need to sand 2 years later , not befor i even get to use it !

i mean come on the car not gona run away
warmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
what exactly did the spots look like??
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote